09-15-2011 @ 08:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Origin of a few German (Jewish?) names

There are quite a few names in my parents' genealogies that I can't find the meaning of. Anyone who speaks German want to help decipher them?

Edelmer - Pretty sure this one's Jewish. I know Edel means noble, and Edelstein is a jewish name.

Koenig/Koenicker - No idea.

Steilyens - No idea

Frederic - I don't know, which is odd because this seems like a fairly common name

Freyen - No idea.

Zanger - Dutch for Singer. I've known a a lot of Jewish Singers.

There are more. If anyone is interested in helping, I'll add them later.

Last Online
    03-22-2012 @ 03:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German / English
    Ancestry
    Mother's family is all German. Father's family is English since 1066; before that Norman
    Region
    Kansas
    Politics
    Nietzsche
    Religion
    Æsir
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    There are quite a few names in my parents' genealogies that I can't find the meaning of. Anyone who speaks German want to help decipher them?

Edelmer - Pretty sure this one's Jewish. I know Edel means noble, and Edelstein is a jewish name.

Steilyens - No idea

Frederic - I don't know, which is odd because this seems like a fairly common name

Freyen - No idea.

Edel heißt noble, stein heißt stone. Noblestone. sounds funny. haha.

König heißt king. my great-grandmother´s maiden name.

Steil heißt steep

Frederic und Freyen sind nur Namen.

Zange heißt plyers

Figuring names out is fun. Post the rest and I´ll see what I can do.

EDIT: By the way, Könicker sounds like dialect. Give me some time and I´ll figure out which one. It´s going to be one that replaces hard ´g´ with ´ck´ and uses a different plural than standard for the noun.
    Last edited by Hrolf Kraki; 09-09-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94

0 Not allowed!

The Edelmer families (variously spelled as Edelmeier, Edelmeyer and Edelmayer) of the German Coast of Acadiana (which is where I'm assuming your Edelmer is from ), all stem from one Johann Adam Edelmeier who emigrated to New France some time in the early 1700s. The book I posted elsewhere on the site (that you've seen), The Settlement of the German Coast of Louisiana by Professor J. Hanno Deiler, on p. 89 displays an old census record which states about him:

Johann Adam Edelmeier, of Reiheim, Palatinate. Calvinist; 50 years old. Cooper. Two boys, 10 and 14 years of age. A daughter, Maria Barbara, married Lionnois, a sailor from Lyons. Three arpents cleared. Two pigs. "A very good worker who deserves attention."
    1726: Six arpents cleared
    1728: Marie Christine Edelmeier baptised
    1731: Five children. One negro, two cows.
    Although I don't have the records on hand, I researched is family further back into the Palatinate and discovered that they were Calvinists as far back as I could go.

Last Online
    09-15-2011 @ 08:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Here's the rest:

Rittiner, Werling, Faust, Rupp, Huber, Wichner, Vicknair, Sanmerine (Sounds Spanish to me, but from Germany), Schuling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    The Edelmer families (variously spelled as Edelmeier, Edelmeyer and Edelmayer) of the German Coast of Acadiana (which is where I'm assuming your Edelmer is from ), all stem from one Johann Adam Edelmeier who emigrated to New France some time in the early 1700s. The book I posted elsewhere on the site (that you've seen), The Settlement of the German Coast of Louisiana by Professor J. Hanno Deiler, on p. 89 displays an old census record which states about him:

Although I don't have the records on hand, I researched is family further back into the Palatinate and discovered that they were Calvinists as far back as I could go.
    Ah, I didn't even think to check it. Good to know. I was getting pretty suspicious about that one. I've known a few Jewish Edelsteins.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrolf Kraki View Post
    Edel heißt noble, stein heißt stone. Noblestone. sounds funny. haha.

König heißt king. my great-grandmother´s maiden name.

Steil heißt steep

Frederic und Freyen sind nur Namen.

Zange heißt plyers

Figuring names out is fun. Post the rest and I´ll see what I can do.

EDIT: By the way, Könicker sounds like dialect. Give me some time and I´ll figure out which one. It´s going to be one that replaces hard ´g´ with ´ck´ and uses a different plural than standard for the noun.
    Thanks much. Most websites even if they have the names' national origins don't have the meaning.

Last Online
    06-23-2010 @ 12:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ingaevonic
    Taxonomy
    Nordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

0 Not allowed!

Steilyens - No idea

Freyen - No idea.

Frederic is the English derrivate of Germanic 'Frederik': 'Frede/Fre' is peace and 'Rik' means ruler or domain/territory (f.i. Germanic Rik -> Kingdom (Eng); Konungariket (Sve); Koninkrijk (NL))

Edelstein is German for gemstone, hence the Jewish connection.

Edelmer as Psychonaut said is a German name, Edel means 'noble', but could also be noble in a sense of gentle/pretty. Mer is most likely derrived from meyer/meier. This is Germanic for the Latin term Maior, In Latin it meant man of authority in German it meant a person who speaks for his lord, this could be for a king, a baron, a wealthy farmer or other bussiness, it could also be the courtmaster or a tennant farmer.

German (König) and Jewish (Ashkenazic): from Middle High German kunic, German König ‘king’, hence a German nickname for a servant or retainer of a king (for example, a farmer on a royal demesne); or alternatively a status name for the head of a craftmen’s guild, or a society of sharpshooters or minstrels. As a Jewish surname, it was ornamental, one of several such Ashkenazic names based on European titles of nobility or royalty.

source: http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Koenig-name-meaning.ashx
    Freyen is derrived from Germanic Freier/Freyer, in High-German it is Vrier. The meaning is a man that is free. That is free in a sense of free of duties, in the Late Germanic hierarchy two classes are noted as being free the Carl/Ceorl/Karl (normal free men) and the Yarl/Earl/Jarl/Eal (Nobles).
    Last edited by The Black Prince; 09-09-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 09:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ancestry
    Spain
    Country
    Spain
    Politics
    Old
    Hero
    José Antonio Primo de Rivera
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 63

0 Not allowed!

Is Faust derived from the latin FAUSTUS? meaning -"the one who is prosperous and abundant".

The Black prince already answered very well, but I can add and qualify that Fridureiks means "prince of peace". Fridu --> peace and reiks---> prince. It's no wonder that not only Germanic kings and emperors have been so fond of it.
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 09-09-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: consecutive posts merged

COGITO - FACIO - FIO Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    08-19-2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alana View Post
    Is Faust derived from the latin FAUSTUS? meaning -"the one who is prosperous and abundant".
    Faust means "fist" in Hochdeutsch.

Last Online
    05-08-2012 @ 08:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Irish
    Country
    England
    Politics
    Summon the Fyrd
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Most jews carry european surnames (williams, zimmermann) or made up european surnames (goldsmith, greenberg etc) usually from the translation of a european surname when migrating (schmidt to smith etc). Off the top of my head, excluding israeli (hebrew) names, I can only think of cohen and levi as jewish names in regards to the British isles.

Last Online
    11-25-2010 @ 04:04 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central European
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Deutsch
    Region
    Prussia
    Taxonomy
    Chrom-Mangan
    Religion
    none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

"If Germany re-establishes her trade in the next 50 years, we shall have fought the war (WW1) in vain
    ."
    Winston Churchill interviewed by the London Times in 1919

"This is not a peace. It is an armistice for twenty years"
    French marshal Ferdinand Foch on the Treaty of Versailles in 1919

"Our ideal is to round Poland off with frontiers on the Oder in the West and the Neisse in Lausatia, and to reincorporate Prussia, from the Pregel to the Spree. In this war no prisoners will be taken, there will be no room for humanitarian feelings. We shall surprise the whole world in our war with Germany."
    Polish newspaper Mosarstwowiecz (1930), three years before Hitler's rise to power.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-05-2017 @ 09:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    n/A
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

is it true that anyone with a last name ending with -baum has to be at least in part Jewish?

Thread Information