Poland’s foreign minister has warned President Yanukovich not to pass up an opportunity to make vital political reforms in Ukraine ahead of signing an associate agreement with the European Union in November.

If Ukraine misses this opportunity then it “may take up to several years” before the ex-Soviet state gets another opportunity to move closer to the West, Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski has told the TVP public broadcaster.
Foreign ministers from the so-called Visegrad Group (Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia) are meeting in Krakow, Friday, to discuss Ukraine’s bid to sign the associate agreement with the EU.

The conference is also being attended by EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton and Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Fuele.

The foreign minister of Lithuania and the deputy foreign minister of Ireland, two countries holding the EU Presidency in 2013, are also attending.
“This is a very serious conference,” Sikorski said.

The EU has demanded Ukraine tackle shortcomings in its electoral system, corruption, increase budget transparency, establish a macroeconomic framework for the IMF to issue new loans, as well as refrain from protectionist measures.
Concern has also been expressed over the imprisonment of former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko, which the EU and US have said was “politically motivated”.

“After my ast visit [to Kiev, two weeks ago] and a three-hour conversation with President Yanukovych , I think he knows what's at stake for the nation,” Sikorski said.

“ Everyone is the architect of their own fate,” Poland’s foreign minister added.

On Saturday, Krakow will also host the final section of the 1st Visegrad Bicycle Race.

The idea to organize a bike race linking the four Visegrad Group countries – Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary – was put forward by Minister Sikorski.

Around 300 amateur cyclists started the race on 17 May in the Hungarian capital and then raced through Slovakia and the Czech Republic, and will reach Krakow on 18 May after a 533 km ride. (pg)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had no idea the Polish leadership was so Europeist. Easier to understand why they enter the Eurozone so badly.