Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,942
    Given: 45,031

2 Not allowed!

Question Hippie heathen atheists

Okay, I suppose this is the lowbrow version of Jagey's "Secular Heathenry".

I've been making critical threads recently about Christianity and the Bible. This has been met with claims that I am selective in my criticisms. Whilst I do think some perspectives are more worthy of derision than others, perhaps a little bit of mockery is due in this heathen corner.

A few questions:

1) Are all so-called heathens, Asatruars, etc directionless hippies who hail from the dregs of society?

2) Is heathenry merely a cover for racism?

3) Most heathens seem to be atheists anyway. I mean, you can't seriously believe that those deities really exist! Why not go all the way and become true rationalists.

Discuss
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Old Stock
    Ethnicity
    New Englander
    Ancestry
    Angles & Picts
    Region
    Vermont
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Taxonomy
    A-S
    Politics
    Landscape
    Religion
    Nature
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    1) Are all so-called heathens, Asatruars, etc directionless hippies who hail from the dregs of society?
    I think that I'm an excellent example of above mentioned type....although I'm half redneck, don't forget. Which of course makes me a hipneck.

Sort of. I mean, it should be ethnoracially exclusive in my opinion. Nerthus is not in the genetic memory of a Bantu.

3) Most heathens seem to be atheists anyway. I mean, you can't seriously believe that those deities really exist! Why not go all the way and become true rationalists.
    For me it's really about muddy boots, cutting firewood and a stiff northeast wind. A working with and reverence for, the powers of the Earth, Mother Nature if you will. She is omnipotent, dictating all that be. If she is nothing more than a collection of the laws of physics, then so be it.

I like her having a name though. :bow00002:

Last Online
    10-18-2012 @ 12:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    lets see, Grandmother(on Mothers side.) is german, grandfather is Irish and my Fathers side is germ
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Politics
    Still questioning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

while sipping coffee at work i gave your questions some real thought, and i will seriosuly answer them to the best of my ablities.

Hippies were a youth movement ( as i am sure your awear) i dont think that Heathens in the most general of terms are hippies, i frimly believe that my heathen beliefs do not fall in line with the youth movement of 1960's for example : hippies firmly believed in peace and love, I also believe in peace and love but i also would like to add that i believe in and support the need for self defense as a way to end certian problems.

I also would like to point out that the hippie movement of the 1960's also brought with it a fashion statement so while i may dress like a hippie ( bell bottom pants yes i actually know what they are.) and loose shirts i frimly hold to the idea that its just clothing i wear to be comfortable in.

as for your other two questions, I struggled a lot with the second question about racism,for a long while i felt that i was racist, i have now come to a diffrent understanding and that is this: Heathenism, does not wish to cause physical harm to any one diffrent then ourselves, i as a heathen follower in the old gods choose and acknowledge that there is a diffrence culutrally between northen europeans and their gods and ancestors and between other faiths and systems of belief.

I also firmly hold to the idea that heathens should teach their children to be proud of their heritage and their cultual connections , that we should feel no shame in being proud to be northen european and white. adding to this i hink it is time that we as a society as a whole stop looking at the past and screaming but the europeans ... killed the jew, created slavery etc. The people who harmed others because of their diffrences i do not claim heritage to nor do i acknowldge their place in my life, People do bad things and untill we as a society can see that i think , we as a society are doomed to reapeat ourselves.

third question, I am not sure what you mean by atheists... i dont think fo my self as an atheist i think of myself as a follower of the gods, I pray to mygod and i give them thanks for the many blessing they bring into my life and incorperate them into my daily life. So from my understanding atheists believe deities do not exist .. i know mine do, they brought be back to my rightful path.

Hail the gods of old and Hail our strength in numbers

Rachel
    To be bright of brain, let no man boast,
    but take good heed of his tongue:
    the sage and silent come seldom to grief
    as they fare among folk in the hall

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Okay, I suppose this is the lowbrow version of Jagey's "Secular Heathenry".

I've been making critical threads recently about Christianity and the Bible. This has been met with claims that I am selective in my criticisms. Whilst I do think some perspectives are more worthy of derision than others, perhaps a little bit of mockery is due in this heathen corner.

A few questions:

Discuss
    Nice try! LOL

Gone fishing with Lutiferre SuuT's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-07-2010 @ 07:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian Beachbilly
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Nordicised Faelid
    Politics
    MeritAristocracy
    Religion
    Heiðinn: Warrior Caste--> Goði Path
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

A few questions:

Pretty much. We're social morons who really like comic books, for the most.

Fuck you, nigger!

I, myself, am able to vanish from the earth when playing hide-and-seek with my children so I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

As soon as I can muster the gumption to talk in circles, I'll give you my real answers.
    Often, in our attempts to show people that they do not know what they believe they do, it is exposed that they lack any identity whatsoever - beyond the belief that they know anything at all.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,942
    Given: 45,031

0 Not allowed!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    Nice try! LOL
    The best defence you can come up with, dear Aemma?

Additionally, I will charge that heathens are way more wishy-washy and less dedicated to their "religion" than, say, Christians are. I say "religion", because it's not really a religion at all in the proper sense of the meaning. At best it's a loose recollection of old myths from pagan times, whose proper meaning had been lost in time anyway.

No one seriously equates modern Asatru with the religion that the pre-Christian Scandinavians and other Germanics practiced. One could just as well create a "religion" out of Star Wars, it would be equally beneficial and practical than modern heathenry. "The Force" seems more real to me than the power of mjollnir in any case.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    lets see, Grandmother(on Mothers side.) is german, grandfather is Irish and my Fathers side is germ
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Politics
    Still questioning
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

[/QUOTE]"The Force" seems more real to me than the power of mjollnir in any case. [/QUOTE]

That is till i hit you with my hammer now lets see how strong the force is yoda? [

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

I think Loki is cruisin` for a bruisin`

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Politics
    Still questioning
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

... i mean it in all good fun

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-style American
    Ethnicity
    California dreaming
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

I can understand where some would get this viewpoint. There are many Odinists and Asatruars who only find out about the old religions once they go to jail, and they have to band up to protect themselves. So that could stand to reason for people thinking that. But not all heathens are like that. I don't feel that I am from the dregs of society. I never went to jail, and I have never been dirt poor.

I can also see why they can be called hippies. I've known quite a few It is true that there are a lot of hippies that are Wiccans, or Buddists, or Hindus. But I personally do not know of any hippies that are Odinists or Asatruars. We're looked at as white supremacists by the hippies as we don't want or desire the other races to look to our Gods. Matter of fact, I only know of one other Odinist in my area, and he is not a hippie! He rides Harleys, and the antithesis of a hippie.

Again, I can understand why people would think this. In the prison system, there are few recourses for the white inmates to protect themselves from forcibly being made the "submissive" to predominately minorities. (I have never been to prison, but I know a man who has served 11 years. I have heard the stories) There's the Hell's Angels, and then there's Odinists for the white community. In prison, the inmates naturally segregate themselves, and the white inmates are a minority in there, so they have a lot of odds against them about being butt buddies against their will. Many do not like the Hell's Angels as they do allow Hispanics and blacks, and in prison, the color of your skin means more than gang affiliations. Many wish for a religious path but cannot convince themselves that Christianity is the true path for them. When they discover Odinism, it is able to satisfy an inner call that nothing else was able to sate. They could be called racist for that, but I think that it is unfair to put that on them based on the circumstances that they are in, and the environment that the prison system is.

On the outside, things are different, and society says that we should be tolerant of all races, and that we should have affirmative action towards the ones who want to take part in Odinism and Asatru who are not of at least Northern European stock. But I've thought for a long time that the Gods and Goddesses are part of our ancestral heritage, that which makes us Northern Europeans. Jung had said that we have ancestral memories, like instincts that cats and dogs pass on to their offspring. The wish to honor of the Aesir and Vanir is imprinted on our genes just like our fairer skin, and our bone structure that makes us of each phenotype. I could not worship the Hindu gods of India as I am not of Indian heritage, and I could not worship the Shinto gods of Japan as I am not of Japanese heritage. Are those two religions called racist for having those racial types as their main followers? No.

It's different for everyone. Some do believe in the Gods and Goddesses. I know that I do. It comforts me to know that there are those who have known my people and race for time immemorial, and know our characters, as they are the exemplification of our best and worst traits. They know us, and are like us as well. Plus, rationality is, I imagine, rare among rationalists. But you don't have to believe in the Gods and Goddesses for the heathen thought pattern of Northern Europe to be helpful. There is no threat of eternal damnation for the disbelief in them. There is just the hope of being able to get to be with them if we live a life that honors them, or to die a glorious death. There is no lake of fire in Asatru just because we do not choose to bow down to them and call them Lord and Savior. You are able to take what works best for you and discard the rest. Like observing the seasonal holidays, because that helps keep us in touch with Nature, and our families. The heathen way of life is very family based, and in a sense insular. We do not have an entity thousands of miles away insisting on our devotion and money to fund their coffers. We take care of our own, as that is all that really matters, those that we know and love, and who would take care of us, and of each other.
    Last edited by Frigga; 09-17-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information