Thread: The hardest languages to learn

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 06:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celticized Paleo European
    Ethnicity
    Lusitani
    Ancestry
    They are fully "Portuguese" for as many generations as I can go.
    Country
    Portugal
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized West-Med with Cromanid and Baskid influences
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 77

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post

Portuguese, like Spanish, is also very easy to learn, though Portuguese pronunciation is harder due to the unusual vowels such as nasal diphthongs and the strange palatal lateral ʎ, which many English speakers will mistake for an l.

Portuguese gets a 1 rating, easiest of all.
    Very nice post, thanks. Very comprehensive.
    About Portuguese, Spanish and French. I can speak and write the 3 and I do not agree with you on the ratings you gave for Portuguese.

Until some years ago, in Portugal, at school you would have as typical options: English, French and German. No Spanish for the simple reason that everybody felt they didn't need to learn Spanish because it was a language that we could speak easily, in fact Portuguese and Spanish tend to speak a mix of both known as Portuñol... after the opening of the borders and the understanding of a local Iberian "market" for work, the need to speak properly Spanish arose and nowadays Spanish is the 2nd language more learned at secondary school level, it supplanted the French that almost disappeared. If when I was in secondary school there would be typically 15 classes learning French, 3 learning English and maybe 1 learning German, nowadays we have less kids and 6 classes for English, 5 for Spanish and 1 for French and 1 for German.
    The fall of French and the rise of Spanish has 2 reasons. The first one, as I told before, was the assumption that speaking and writing correctly Spanish was paramount and the second one was the discovery of the easiness to learn Spanish, kids like that. Until here we are in accordance and, yes, Spanish is easiest than French, kids know that.
    Where I don't agree with you is when you place Portuguese at the same level of difficulty than Spanish. Portuguese is much more like French at the grammar level, it is tortuous with many irregular verbs and a phrase building very similar. My teachers in Spain had some difficulty in correcting my work because, in their opinion, I had a different way to build my phrases, a French way as they said... whatever that means. Portuguese kids have lots of trouble in learning Portuguese, their own language. In fact, it is one of the hardest disciplines at secondary level and the one that gets lower marks in national exams.
    I know there are people that do not agree with me, but even if I’m not a linguistic expert, I can compare things as I’m speaker of those languages and facts corroborate my opinion.

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,269
    Given: 13,631

0 Not allowed!

I see the thread is mainly about Indo-European languages, but Hungarian would be the most hardest European language to learn.

Oi you lots
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Jamaican
    Country
    Jamaica
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,132
    Given: 4,897

0 Not allowed!

It's not realistic to generalise. For example, a Korean would find it relatively easy to learn Japanese; a Vietnamese would find it not too hard to learn one of the Chinese languages. For English-speaking people, the easier languages are those that belong to the Indo-European family; however, the further you go from your native language, the more difficult it is. If you are Spanish, then Portuguese is fairly easy (at least, when written). Also, Italian is pretty close, as is Catalan. A Spaniard would find Russian very difficult because of the phonology of that language compared with his own - the consonant clusters would freak (spelling?) him out! "How on earth can you have a word "Kreml'?" - you must put some vowels in between the consonants!

In summary - it depends on your starting point.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    Could not see Finnish on that list, its said to be one of the hardest, though i might just have missed it..
    Probably because Finnish and Hungarian do not belong in the Indo-European family of languages.

Finnish belongs to a different family of languages often called "Uralic" along with Estonian, Livonian (Western Latvia), Lappish (Northern Scandinavia) Karelian, Permian and Veps (Northern Russia) and even, more distantly, Hungarian.

However, all of these languages are full of loan words from Indo-European languages , primarily Germanic and Slavic. Germanic has even influenced the structure of Estonian to some extent while Slavic has influenced the syntax of Hungarian, especially in the use of words like 'meg' and 'volna'.

Some linguists think that the Uralic languages may be distantly related to Indo-European on one side and to the Tungus, Eskimo, Korean and Japanese languages on the other. They even think that Proto-Indo-European may have started out as a dialect of Finnish.

Certainly, a few words are similar between Uralic and Indo-European. For example the Finnish and Estonian words for name "nemi" and the Hungarian word for name, "név" are similar to the root word for name *nama / nome- in Indo European languages. However, this is still just speculation. More evidence is needed.

Last Online
    03-15-2015 @ 11:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Egyptian
    Country
    Egypt
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Muslim
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 25

0 Not allowed!

Hungarian & Chinese
    You have to take into consideration the native tongue of the person. e.g. if somebody is from Azerbaijan, he/she would have no trouble learning Turkish, since it belongs to the lingual family.

I would have no problem learning Hebrew, since it is a Semitic language as Arabic.

this guy can speak more than 20 languages

Banned
    Last Online
    02-13-2018 @ 05:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Region
    Slavonija-Baranya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,569
    Given: 2,482

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roys View Post
    Hungarian has 15 cases (8 more than Polish).
    It has more than that.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Append...s#Case_endings

Banned
    Last Online
    12-22-2013 @ 05:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 391
    Given: 482

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XtraXavier View Post
    It's not realistic to generalise. For example, a Korean would find it relatively easy to learn Japanese; a Vietnamese would find it not too hard to learn one of the Chinese languages. For English-speaking people, the easier languages are those that belong to the Indo-European family; however, the further you go from your native language, the more difficult it is. If you are Spanish, then Portuguese is fairly easy (at least, when written). Also, Italian is pretty close, as is Catalan. A Spaniard would find Russian very difficult because of the phonology of that language compared with his own - the consonant clusters would freak (spelling?) him out! "How on earth can you have a word "Kreml'?" - you must put some vowels in between the consonants!

In summary - it depends on your starting point.
    Why don't you write your own posts? (scroll down a bit)

Last Online
    03-26-2017 @ 07:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    !
    Ethnicity
    !
    Country
    Estonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!

Ive learnt English, German, Russian, Swedish, Finnish, Japanese and Korean.

Th hardest was German by far, and if I couldnt speak Estonian id die learning Finnish, too. Often I was like WTF??!! and then I realised it actually the same in Estonian.

Japanese and English are the easiest.

Last Online
    08-16-2013 @ 08:32 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltas/Slavas
    Ethnicity
    Lietuvis/Lenkas
    Ancestry
    Totorius
    Country
    Lithuania
    Religion
    Katalikas
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

half time i dont understander what pepol talk in this forum

Фуцк мй лифэ

Last Online
    09-02-2022 @ 07:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Albania R1b
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Ancestry
    Albanians
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    R-PH544
    mtDNA
    J1C
    Hero
    Gjergj Kastrioti
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,527
    Given: 905

0 Not allowed!

i think : chinese.. ho tou tu chi chun cha hai to bau mu ta ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information