H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

Default Ten most annoying things people post on Facebook

Tuesday, June 11, 2013Top Ten Tuesday: Annoying Things People Post on Facebook

On the West Coast, it is fashionable to be late to everything. People just don't seem to understand how time works. Consequently, when I make appointments with people, I inevitably end up waiting for them, since my Midwest upbringing necessitates that I be at least fifteen minutes early every time. Of course, I never remember to bring a book to read while waiting. Instead, I resort to pressing the happy buttons of my iPhone to view Facebook and kill time. Within seconds, I come across examples of the following and vow to always have a book on me in the future.

Here are the ten most annoying things people post on Facebook.

10. Near-nude self portraits.

Thank Flying Spaghetti Monster Facebook doesn't allow nudity. Otherwise, we'd have to see way too much of our "Friends." Nonetheless, whether they are attention whores or some poor fat slob who just lost two pounds and wants to flaunt it, many people don't seem to have a filter. In a lot of cases, these pictures are the equivalent of the old-fashioned "do you notice anything different about me?" Only, now there is less clothing, and you don't have to point out that you don't in fact notice anything different.

9. Food pictures.

Great work. You've found a way to get fatter. Want a cookie?

I am well aware that food is required to stay alive, and it is one of the human races' most basic needs. But, you get the most out of food if you eat it, not by posting pictures of it on Facebook. It's really a form of bragging. "Hey, look at this tasty filet mignon I have! Enjoy your tasteless sub there, Jared!" Food pictures are also used by fat people to show they really do just have a thyroid problem: "Here's this delicious and nutritious quinoa salad I made. I don't know why I'm fat." Of course, they don't show you the pound of bacon they use to wash it down.

8. The Most Interesting Man in the World Meme.

"I don't always ____ , but when I do, I ______________." That's the formula for some people's idea of humor. It is particularly disgusting because it is based off of someone trying to sell something, and it is now officially uninteresting.

7. Pictures of Purchases.

Along with pictures of food and near-nude pictures, this is commonly used for bragging purposes. To me, though, all I see is a consumer whore: "Look at what I was able to buy!" Kind of falling within this same category are the posts about what people want to buy. Maybe if you post that you want a Lamborghini a certain number of times, some CEO will shoot one out of his ass for you.

6. Facebook activism.

For when you care enough to do the very least. Whether it's sharing an article about how bad global warming is (hint: posting about anything on the internet is worse for the environment than doing nothing) or how we need to stop Obama from taking ours guns, Facebook activists typically do little for their cause. Here's how it works: Jane sees a video or reads an article that leads her to action. Since she is already on Facebook, she posts about it. Thinking that she's done something to help the cause, she can now relax because she's fought the good fight: no need for further action.

5. Hoaxes.

Here's a link you should bookmark and visit before sharing anything that riles you up. It's Snopes. They're pretty good at getting to the bottom of scams and hoaxes, so you don't end up with a jackass like me mocking you. The hoaxes tend to work best on issues that stir people's emotions. When emotions are high, the brain tends to cast off logic in favor of heuristics.

5.a. Chain Facebook Posts -These are hoaxes for even dumber people. They usually play on the religious and are along the lines of "Share this if you are a true believer of Jesus Christ. Do not deny Him like Peter." Pro-tip: God doesn't really care what you share on Facebook.

4. If I get One Million "Likes"...

These also tend to fall into the hoax category though not always. Mostly, it's more attention whoring. These annoying posts are typically images of someone holding a sign that says, "If I get One Million "Likes," my friend's wife will blow me" or something to that effect. People actually "Like" and share this stuff!

3. Posts about television shows.

Game of Thrones, Arrested Development, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, these are just recent examples of shows that clog the News Feed. I got a pro-tip for you folks. It is really easy to find on-line forums for people who share your fascination for a particular show. Yes, there are more resources out there besides Facebook. I recommend doing a Something search for these forums. Because, the rest of us, your Facebook "friends," all just kind of feel sorry for you.

2. Vaguebooking.

I only hate this portmantombination slightly less than I hate the practice. Due to various life circumstances, I am friends with a fair amount of teenage girls on Facebook. "Vaguebooking" is a way of life for them. If they are slightly upset about something, one can expect to see a thinly-veiled post trying to draw comments or "Likes" or to just call a bitch out. Stuff like, "U think ur hot shit but u rly aint shit!!!! U wanna see the real bitch look in da meer!!!!" For us adults, it's just a friendly reminder of how batshiat crazy teenagers are.

1. Pictures with Uncreative Quasi-Motivational Words.

And, ignore the rude little flower trying to interrupt my message.

Looking at my News Feed, it appears I am "friends" with many rail yards-worth of emotional train wrecks. I believe they have all subscribed to the Suicide Prevention Slogan-of-the-Day Club because I see way too many somewhat motivational slogan images. I'm not quite sure why the words can't just stand on their own. Maybe as a society, we've nurtured such a disdain for reading that we now need to put the words on an image if we hope to ever have anyone read them. I don't know. I just know that if I see an image that is predominately covered in words, there's nothing interesting to be gleaned from it.

Well, now that you know how inane your Facebook posts are, hopefully you will step up your game and make your friends' News Feeds more interesting.

And, as always, please let me know what you find annoying about Facebook users below. I'll be sure to pass your gripes along to the proper authorities.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    08-29-2014 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Wood elf + pixie and nymph influences
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,112
    Given: 2,045

1 Not allowed!

People on the toilet pics are weird. Parents post photos of their kids first time on the toilet. lol I've had a few of those in my news feed. I would never do that to my kid!

Senior Member James David Caulton's Avatar
    Last Online
    03-26-2017 @ 05:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Alpanized Keltic nordid
    Ancestry
    English,Irish,Scottish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 554
    Given: 196

0 Not allowed!

Don't get me started on the whinging and the overly used marilyn monroe quotes and crappy one liners like real men go for curves only dogs go for bones

Last Online
    12-06-2020 @ 03:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Argentina
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 15

0 Not allowed!

Aaand their problems..

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly something
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,596
    Given: 48,325

0 Not allowed!

All of this is so true and I find it annoying as well. That is why I use social media in a limited manner.

Last Online
    03-02-2021 @ 10:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Dalofaelid with Corded Nordid influences
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,666
    Given: 13,081

1 Not allowed!

1. Coronavirus stuff
    2. Funding campaigns
    After not shaving for a while:

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-22-2023 @ 01:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Србин
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,173
    Given: 5,255

1 Not allowed!

SJW shit

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    Anglo Cajun
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,206
    Given: 15,978

2 Not allowed!

Pictures with Snapchat filters

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,245
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

Not my problem because I don't use facebook :

Facebook is a surveillance engine, accumulating lots of personal data which is also available to the state. For your privacy and freedom's sake, it is important not to have an active Facebook account; refusing blocks Facebook's main channel for collecting information about you and, through you, about your friends and relatives. (Whatsapp, a subsidiary of Facebook, is also important to avoid.) Explaining to them why you firmly insist on routing your communications with them through some other system will strengthen your will power to resist systems that use you to harm you and others.

Nowadays Facebook has gained so much power that it puts freedom and democracy in danger. Its rules for what can be published amount to censorship of society as a whole, leading to political disputes. But those disputes are a distraction from the bigger point that no company should have so much power.

Facebook has the power to manipulate elections through subtle policy changes. Whether or not it has intentionally done so, this state of affairs is dangerous.--Richard Stallman

Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds are the main reasons why the Linux operating system exists. Richard would want it called 'GNU/Linux' but that never caught on like just "Linux" did.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region