R1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn + Alpinid + Nordomediterranid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,121
    Given: 12,891

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle Bell View Post
    Some of these sounds germanic, gamito also sounds portuguese or galician imo
    Rastall is the main english surname of my family the others are found in my father side and some are very strange/uncommon like Boil,Niget(i forget to put this one) Ausell or Rocsalt wich i only found it only in my family wich is suposedly a union of the surnames Roc and Salt, Roc is found in France and Salt is found in England and Valencia and catalonia there are more strange surnames like Duart or Siger

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,455
    Given: 28,922

1 Not allowed!

I don't know if anyone has any information on this surname. My Great Great Great Grandmother was a Caplis. I have seen different origins for it from French, Dutch or English.

Early Origins of the Caplis family
    The surname Caplis was first found in Herefordshire where another source claims that name was derived from "the ancestor of Lord Albemarle [who] was Arnord-Joost van Keppel, lord of Voerst, a descendant of one of the most ancient houses in Guerlderland, [Holland] who accompanied King WIlliam III to England in 1688, and was by him advanced to the title still enjoyed by the family. According to 'Folks of Shields,' the name is equivalent to De Capella." [1]

Caplis Spelling Variations
    Multitudes of spelling variations are a hallmark of Anglo Norman names. Most of these names evolved in the 11th and 12th century, in the time after the Normans introduced their own Norman French language into a country where Old and Middle English had no spelling rules and the languages of the court were French and Latin. To make matters worse, medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, so names frequently appeared differently in the various documents in which they were recorded. The name was spelled Capel, Capell, Caple, Cappel, Keppel and others.

This one is accurate as it is from Tipperary.

This very unusual surname, with variant spellings Caplice, Caples and Capples, is almost peculiar to the Munster county of Tipperary, and is ultimately of Old French origin, introduced into Ireland by French Huguenot refugees fleeing religious persecution in their own country. The great French immigration into England and Ireland occurred following the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes by King Louis X1V on October 22nd 1685, and the new settlers brought with them several crafts and skills including woollen weaving and cloth manufacture, which served to reinforce or expand pre-existing industries. The name Caplis is occupational in origin, and is a dialectal variant of Capliez, a surname almost exclusive to the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France. Also found as "C(h)apez" and "C(h)apey" in that region, the ultimate root of the name is the Old French "chape", a cape or churchman's cope, and the various forms of the surname describe a maker of these garments. On November 17th 1814, Jean Magloire Capliez and Marie Antoinette Fleury were married at Douchy-les-Mines, Nord, France. Recordings from Church Registers of County Tipperary include the birth of Catherine, daughter of David Caplis and Margaret Conners, at Clogheen, on December 13th 1864, and the birth of William, son of Michael Caplis and Ann Eagan at Newport, on February 5th 1867. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Jean Baptiste Capliez, which was dated November 14th 1780, marriage to Marie Angeline Gros, at Wasnes-au-Bac, Nord, France, during the reign of King Louis XV1, of the House of Bourbon, 1774 - 1792. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Read more: https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Caplis#ixzz7txVyKA00

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    I larp as a Celt
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I don't know if anyone has any information on this surname. My Great Great Great Grandmother was a Caplis. I have seen different origins for it from French, Dutch or English.

Early Origins of the Caplis family
    The surname Caplis was first found in Herefordshire where another source claims that name was derived from "the ancestor of Lord Albemarle [who] was Arnord-Joost van Keppel, lord of Voerst, a descendant of one of the most ancient houses in Guerlderland, [Holland] who accompanied King WIlliam III to England in 1688, and was by him advanced to the title still enjoyed by the family. According to 'Folks of Shields,' the name is equivalent to De Capella." [1]

Caplis Spelling Variations
    Multitudes of spelling variations are a hallmark of Anglo Norman names. Most of these names evolved in the 11th and 12th century, in the time after the Normans introduced their own Norman French language into a country where Old and Middle English had no spelling rules and the languages of the court were French and Latin. To make matters worse, medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, so names frequently appeared differently in the various documents in which they were recorded. The name was spelled Capel, Capell, Caple, Cappel, Keppel and others.

This one is accurate as it is from Tipperary.

This very unusual surname, with variant spellings Caplice, Caples and Capples, is almost peculiar to the Munster county of Tipperary, and is ultimately of Old French origin, introduced into Ireland by French Huguenot refugees fleeing religious persecution in their own country. The great French immigration into England and Ireland occurred following the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes by King Louis X1V on October 22nd 1685, and the new settlers brought with them several crafts and skills including woollen weaving and cloth manufacture, which served to reinforce or expand pre-existing industries. The name Caplis is occupational in origin, and is a dialectal variant of Capliez, a surname almost exclusive to the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France. Also found as "C(h)apez" and "C(h)apey" in that region, the ultimate root of the name is the Old French "chape", a cape or churchman's cope, and the various forms of the surname describe a maker of these garments. On November 17th 1814, Jean Magloire Capliez and Marie Antoinette Fleury were married at Douchy-les-Mines, Nord, France. Recordings from Church Registers of County Tipperary include the birth of Catherine, daughter of David Caplis and Margaret Conners, at Clogheen, on December 13th 1864, and the birth of William, son of Michael Caplis and Ann Eagan at Newport, on February 5th 1867. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Jean Baptiste Capliez, which was dated November 14th 1780, marriage to Marie Angeline Gros, at Wasnes-au-Bac, Nord, France, during the reign of King Louis XV1, of the House of Bourbon, 1774 - 1792. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Read more: https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Caplis#ixzz7txVyKA00
    i searched it and i would go with the Norman origin i heard that there were also norman surnames in Ireland too brought by the English people right?
    Rastall the main english surname in my family supposedly cames also from Old French Rastel and in England became Rastell/Rastall o Rostell also there are other sources that says that it cames from old Anglo-Saxon but i go with the french one that it have more sources.

Btw also in my dad side i have the surname Boil and according to what i saw it cames from Boyle wich is Irish(?) do u know if in Ireland Boil exists as surname.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by vikiingMallorcaSpain View Post
    i searched it and i would go with the Norman origin i heard that there were also norman surnames in Ireland too brought by the English people right?
    Rastall the main english surname in my family supposedly cames also from Old French Rastel and in England became Rastell/Rastall o Rostell also there are other sources that says that it cames from old Anglo-Saxon but i go with the french one that it have more sources.

Btw also in my dad side i have the surname Boil and according to what i saw it cames from Boyle wich is Irish(?) do u know if in Ireland Boil exists as surname.
    Yes Boyle can be Irish. Norman surnames are very common in Ireland. My married surname is Norman and I also have Lynch in my family tree. Caplis is a much more rarer surname and I would love to the real origin of it. Leland is also in my family tree and I don't know if it has a Scottish or English origin.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    I larp as a Celt
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Yes Boyle can be Irish. Norman surnames are very common in Ireland. My married surname is Norman and I also have Lynch in my family tree. Caplis is a much more rarer surname and I would love to the real origin of it. Leland is also in my family tree and I don't know if it has a Scottish or English origin.
    Leland seems of English origin: https://www.houseofnames.com/leland-family-crest

Leland seems a uncommon variant of Leyland

Early Origins of the Leland family
    The surname Leland was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D. There are actually two parishes in Lancashire bearing the name Layland or Leyland. "The Lancashire Leyland was Leylaund, Leylond, Leyland, Laylond, Lelarid in the 13th century." [3]

The first record of the family was actually found in neighbouring Yorkshire when Johannes Leyland was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379. [4]

Leyland Motors Limited, the British vehicle manufacturer of lorries, buses and trolleybuses was based in Leyland, Lancashire. Founded in 1896, the original company is now defunct.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Leland seems of English origin: https://www.houseofnames.com/leland-family-crest

Leland seems a uncommon variant of Leyland

Early Origins of the Leland family
    The surname Leland was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D. There are actually two parishes in Lancashire bearing the name Layland or Leyland. "The Lancashire Leyland was Leylaund, Leylond, Leyland, Laylond, Lelarid in the 13th century." [3]

The first record of the family was actually found in neighbouring Yorkshire when Johannes Leyland was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379. [4]

Leyland Motors Limited, the British vehicle manufacturer of lorries, buses and trolleybuses was based in Leyland, Lancashire. Founded in 1896, the original company is now defunct.
    It could quite possibly be Scottish as well i.e. a shortened from of McClellan, McLelland, McClelland and I think that is possible. I do share some dna with McClellands.

This Leland was born in Dublin and was Church of Ireland which is Anglican. I'm not saying he is an ancestor but it is possible that Lelands in my family tree came from Northern Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Leland

I'll try and do some more research in the future to see if I can trace further back.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    I larp as a Celt
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

It could quite possibly be Scottish as well i.e. a shortened from of McClellan, McLelland, McClelland and I think that is possible. I do share some dna with McClellands.

This Leland was born in Dublin and was Church of Ireland which is Anglican. I'm not saying he is an ancestor but it is possible that Lelands in my family tree came from Northern Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Leland

I'll try and do some more research in the future to see if I can trace further back.
    maybe the scottish branch could be of noble English people who moved there and changed the surname with Mc my british great great grandmother had the surname Oliver wich is very common in England but also have presence in Scotland in one Clan wich i don't remember the name.

maybe your Leland branch was first English then Scottish and then Irish

Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Southerner
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Vlach
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Monarchism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,158
    Given: 7,448

1 Not allowed!

Except for my surname, there are Bukhanov, Spiridonov, Kholodovski, Talmazan, Stavropoulo, Shevchenko up to the great-grandmothers/grandfathers from both sides.

There are also realtives of mine with surnames Didenko, Zaremba, Sholudenko, Ostrovski, Denisov, Sidorov, Dudukin, Jumati.

UPD: a full list of surnames in village of my mother from 1895, there are some weird with unknown background, like Kardivar:

Timchenko, Malin, Sankovski, Marusenko, Ostrovski, Melnichenko, Volianski, Denisyuk, Mushchinski, Didenko, Yanchenko, Khodakovski, Fomin, Voloshchuk, Zaremba, Dudchenko, Vergulyanets, Efremenko, Rusnak, Goncharuk, Tsymbalyuk, Papirovski, Ermak, Kardivar, Dyachenko, Samoylenko, Kovalevski, Vladimirov, Zelenyuk, Savchenko, Kornitski, Demyanyuk, Budulak, Onishchenko.
    Last edited by Victor; 02-21-2023 at 01:56 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

maybe the scottish branch could be of noble English people who moved there and changed the surname with Mc my british great great grandmother had the surname Oliver wich is very common in England but also have presence in Scotland in one Clan wich i don't remember the name.

maybe your Leland branch was first English then Scottish and then Irish
    Thanks for your input but I think it would be either one of the other.

I'd say in my case it would more likely be Scottish possibly through Northern Ireland.

https://www.johngrenham.com/findasur...surname=Leland

The surname of LELAND was derived from the gaelic MAC GILL FHAOLAIN - the son of the servant. The family were numerous in Galloway in the latter end of the 14th Century, and they gave their name to Balmaclellan in the Stewarty. Lands were granted to John Maclellan by James III in February 1466, when his name was given to the lands for bestowing a site for a new church. Donald Maklellane appears as a Steward of Kirkcudbright in 1457. Most of the families of the name in Ireland are of Scottish origin, taken by settlers. The old Ui Fiachrach sept of Mac Giolla Fhaolain in County Sligo appears to be almost extinct, though is possibly survives as Gilfillan in Leitrim. When the sparse Irish population began to increase it became necessary to broaden the base of personal identification by moving from single names to a more definite nomenclature. The prefix MAC was given to the father's christian name, or O to that of a grandfather or even earlier ancestor. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. Ireland was one of the earliest countries to evolve a system of hereditary surnames. They came into being fairly generally in the 11th century, and indeed a few were formed before the year 100O. During the Middle Ages, when people were unable to read or write, signs were needed for all visual identification. For several centuries city streets in were filled with signs of all kinds, public houses, tradesmen and even private householders found them necessary. This was an age when there were no numbered houses, and an address was a descriptive phrase that made use of a convenient landmark. At this time, coats of arms came into being, for the practical reason that men went into battle heavily armed and were difficult to recognise. It became the custom for them to adorn their helmets with distinctive crests, and to paint their shields with animals and the like. Coats of arms accompanied the development of surnames, becoming hereditary in the same way.

https://www.4crests.com/leland-coat-of-arms.html

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    I larp as a Celt
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Thanks for your input but I think it would be either one of the other.

I'd say in my case it would more likely be Scottish possibly through Northern Ireland.

https://www.johngrenham.com/findasur...surname=Leland

The surname of LELAND was derived from the gaelic MAC GILL FHAOLAIN - the son of the servant. The family were numerous in Galloway in the latter end of the 14th Century, and they gave their name to Balmaclellan in the Stewarty. Lands were granted to John Maclellan by James III in February 1466, when his name was given to the lands for bestowing a site for a new church. Donald Maklellane appears as a Steward of Kirkcudbright in 1457. Most of the families of the name in Ireland are of Scottish origin, taken by settlers. The old Ui Fiachrach sept of Mac Giolla Fhaolain in County Sligo appears to be almost extinct, though is possibly survives as Gilfillan in Leitrim. When the sparse Irish population began to increase it became necessary to broaden the base of personal identification by moving from single names to a more definite nomenclature. The prefix MAC was given to the father's christian name, or O to that of a grandfather or even earlier ancestor. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. Ireland was one of the earliest countries to evolve a system of hereditary surnames. They came into being fairly generally in the 11th century, and indeed a few were formed before the year 100O. During the Middle Ages, when people were unable to read or write, signs were needed for all visual identification. For several centuries city streets in were filled with signs of all kinds, public houses, tradesmen and even private householders found them necessary. This was an age when there were no numbered houses, and an address was a descriptive phrase that made use of a convenient landmark. At this time, coats of arms came into being, for the practical reason that men went into battle heavily armed and were difficult to recognise. It became the custom for them to adorn their helmets with distinctive crests, and to paint their shields with animals and the like. Coats of arms accompanied the development of surnames, becoming hereditary in the same way.

https://www.4crests.com/leland-coat-of-arms.html
    Seems very possible the Scottish origin

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast

Thread Information