Reported suicide attack leaves at least 24 dead, including police mourning colleague slain earlier in same day.

A reported suicide attack in southwest Pakistan targeting police officers who were mourning their murdered colleague killed several people, including at least two senior officials, reports say.

The exact number of casualties from the attack in Quetta, in Balochistan province, on Thursday was unknown, but the Associated Press said at least 24 people were killed.

Several people were also wounded, and said to be in a critical condition.

"At least eight police officers have been killed. It was a suicide attack," Selim Shehwani, a police officer, said, warning that the death toll could rise further.

The blast took place at the police headquarters in the troubled southwestern city where officers gathered to pay their respects to a colleague who had been shot dead only hours before.

According to television reports, the bomb exploded outside a mosque where the funeral procession of station house officer Mohibullah was being held.

Several police officers attending the funeral were killed in the powerful explosion, including Deputy Inspector General Fayyaz Sumbal, and Deputy Superintendent of Police Headquarters Shamsuddin.

"We are collecting more details. We have declared an emergency," he said.

Policeman Mohammad Hafiz spoke of his horror after the explosion.

"I was inside the mosque and we were lining up for the funeral prayers when a big blast took place. I came out and saw injured and dead bodies lying on the ground," Hafiz told reporters.

"I have no words to explain what I've seen. It was horrible."

The blast capped a bloody Ramadan in Pakistan, where at least 11 attacks have killed more than 90 people during the month.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2...836903870.html