Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Welsh People

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,551
    Given: 27,895

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    So much for them being ''dark'', it's a wildly exgaggerated notion, BS even.
    I know, I can't tell Welsh people that I've encountered in real life by their physical appearance from English or Scottish people - until I hear their accents. Their warmth and hospitality and friendliness is another giveaway too that they're Welsh, besides from their range of Welsh accents.

I see some people on TA who've never visited Wales or Cornwall, etc, yet have a bizarre notion that Welsh people are supposed to look like Catherine Zeta Jones or Tom Jones... like that's the only two old-fashioned Welsh people that they know of.

I rarely see them mention all the modern-day 21st century and globally popular and very successful Welsh stars today, like Matt Tuck from Bullet For My Valentine, Katherine Jenkins, Charlotte Church, Lee Gaze, etc. The only Welsh people they lamely know about is Tom Jones or Catherine Zeta Jones from the last century.

These extremely popular and globally famous Welshmen could easily pass anywhere in the British Isles, (if it wasn't for their Welsh accents.)

3:09 and 3:42 ... would you recognise this police officer as being Welsh without hearing his distinctive Welsh accent, whilst he describes how another man in Wales tried to kill him by ramming over his car. The narrator has a southern English RP accent, but the police officer has a Welsh accent.

Look at this Welshman and game show contestant and serial killer at 2:12. He looks a bit similar to an English musician I know in real life who is originally from Lancashire in north-west England and who is also softly spoken.

Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 05-08-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,977
    Given: 6,600

1 Not allowed!

Some notable Welsh footballers from the past (50+ caps).

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Creoda; 10-19-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Billy Meredith, one of, if not the greatest pre-WWI player (in the world)

John Charles, Wales' greatest player

Wyn Davies

John Toshack

Welsh 1958 World Cup Team

Banned
    Last Online
    03-26-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 30

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    There isn't as many blonde men as women, in the pictures funnily enough. I wonder why? hmm

Edit: look at my first picture & count how many blonde males. 0
    Brown and redheaded British women can dye their hair blond and it still looks good unlike eastern and especially southern europeans. Look at the actress of british heritage Judy Greer she looks stunning in red, blond and brown hair. British women can pull off the fake blond good.

Last Online
    06-18-2023 @ 05:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish/Scottish/German
    Ancestry
    46% British, 20% Scottish, 15% Irish, & some German—very distant: Swedish, Russian, Iberian Pe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Taxonomy
    North Atlantid with CM influence (Brunn & Anglo-Saxon) and Dinarid influence
    Politics
    Republican
    Hero
    Jesus
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 113

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    There isn't as many blonde men as women, in the pictures funnily enough. I wonder why? hmm

Edit: look at my first picture & count how many blonde males. 0
    I’ve heard that happens in some populations and it is theorized to be a mating advantage ( just heard this theory but not saying it’s true).

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,459
    Given: 28,930

0 Not allowed!

Women have a higher percentage of natural blond hair than men and some populations have this discrepancy more. I've noticed this with Irish women as well and this study done which also looks at genes appears to back this up.

Figure 1. Distribution of skin, hair, and eye pigmentation.

Skin pigmentation histogram (A) and boxplot by country of sampling and sex (B) in 469 individuals showing the normality of the phenotype distribution and the differences between sexes and among countries. Males (M) have consistently lighter pigmentation (lower scored) than females (F) in all four countries. Among countries, the largest pigmentation difference is with Ireland, where, in our sample, individuals have lighter pigmentation or lower M index on average than in Poland, Italy, or Portugal. Hair pigmentation histogram (C) and boxplot by country (D) in 341 individuals showing the distribution of hair pigmentation and the differences among countries. In our sample, individuals from Northern European countries (Ireland, Poland) have on average lighter hair pigmentation than individuals from Southern European countries (Italy, Portugal). The distributions in males are similar to those in females in all countries except Ireland, where, in our sample, males have darker hair color than females (not shown). Eye pigmentation histogram (E) and boxplot by country (F) in 468 individuals showing the bimodal distribution of eye pigmentation and the differences among countries. Comparison with self-reported phenotypes shows that the two modes of the distribution correspond to blue and brown eye color, while individuals reporting green and hazel eye color have intermediate C’ values. As with hair pigmentation, in our sample, individuals from Northern European countries have on average lighter eye pigmentation than individuals from Southern European countries.
    https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0048294.g001

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0048294

So yes women are more likely to dye their hair but they are more likely to have more blond hair than their male compatriots. It's most probably related to testosterone as well.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Women have a higher percentage of natural blond hair than men and some populations have this discrepancy more. I've noticed this with Irish women as well and this study done which also looks at genes appears to back this up.

So yes women are more likely to dye their hair but they are more likely to have more blond hair than their male compatriots. It's most probably related to testosterone as well.
    And yet according to that study males have lighter skin than females in all 4 countries, which would be hard to think of any reason for from an evolutionary standpoint.

I'm unconvinced that there's any significant difference in natural hair, skin or eye colour levels between men and women, to this point.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,459
    Given: 28,930

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    And yet according to that study males have lighter skin than females in all 4 countries, which would be hard to think of any reason for from an evolutionary standpoint.

I'm unconvinced that there's any significant difference in natural hair, skin or eye colour levels between men and women, to this point.
    Yes I saw that. I've also read that men are more likely to have blue eyes than women and women have a higher incidence of green eyes. I would have to search but some interesting statistics for sure.

There are definitely things linked to XX and XY chromosomes. Fragile X for example is passed down from the female but the male gets the most severe symptoms. Also women having the XX chromosome are protected from baldness more because it is linked to the X chromosome so men just get the one X so they will be bald if they get the gene so baldness is an X linked trait.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,181
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post

Yes, due to difference in testosterone levels, women are more likely to retain infantile features such as blonde or red hair than men who would usually darken. However, men tend to be slightly paler - skinned due to a higher frequency of blue or light eyes.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Whatever
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Ancestry
    Irish, English
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Ontario
    Taxonomy
    Kelto-Borreby
    Politics
    Radical Pragmatist
    Hero
    Phil Collins, Gene Hackman, Neil Armstrong, Steve Lukather, Robert Palmer, Ron Paul, Steve Winwood
    Religion
    Music
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 1,260

0 Not allowed!

This approximately 25-strong choir seems to be a good representation of the phenotypical diversity within a small country like Wales. And I would actually say, on average, the average Welshman finds it harder to pass as English than the average Irishman, even if the latter is genetically more distant. That might not make much sense but that is my observation.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637 LastLast

Thread Information