Thread: Somali pirates attack French military flagship

Last Online
    03-22-2012 @ 03:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German / English
    Ancestry
    Mother's family is all German. Father's family is English since 1066; before that Norman
    Region
    Kansas
    Politics
    Nietzsche
    Religion
    Æsir
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Somali pirates attack French military flagship

NAIROBI (AFP) – Somali pirates attempted to storm the French navy's 18,000 tonne flagship in the Indian Ocean after mistaking it for a cargo vessel, the French military said on Wednesday.

The crew of La Somme, a 160-metre (525-foot) command vessel and fuel tanker, easily saw off the brazen night-time assault by lightly armed fighters on two lightweight skiffs and captured five pirates, a spokesman said.

"The pirates, who because of the darkness took the French ship for a commercial vessel, were on board two vessels and opened fire with Kalashnikovs," Admiral Christophe Prazuck said in Paris.

La Somme is the French command vessel in the Indian Ocean, overseeing French air, sea and land forces fighting Somali pirates and hunting terrorists under the banner of the US-led Operation Enduring Freedom.

Officers on the ship have directed commando operations to free French hostages in the hands of Somali pirates.

The pirates tried to flee when they realised their mistake but were pursued by French forces who, after an hour-long chase, caught one of the skiffs, Prazuck said.

On it they found five men but no weapons, water or food as the pirates had apparently thrown all of the boat's contents overboard, the spokesman said.

A Western official at sea in the area, speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity, said that there had been an exchange of fire between the warship and the pirate launches.

"One of the skiffs managed to get away in the night because La Somme was busy with the first pirate boat," he said.

"Despite the arrival of other vessels, they haven't yet managed to find the second boat," he said, adding that many warships in the area were busy hunting another group which attacked a cargo ship off the Seychelles on Sunday.

The world's naval powers have deployed dozens of warships to the lawless waters off Somalia over the past year to curb attacks by pirates in one of the world's busiest maritime trade routes.

La Somme was operating 250 nautical miles (460 kilometres) off the Somali coast, on its way to resupply fuel to frigates patrolling shipping lanes as part of the European Union's Operation Atalanta anti-piracy mission.

This was not the first time that Somali pirates have mistakenly attacked a French naval vessel. Several pirates were captured in May when they attempted to board a frigate in the area.

Somalia has had no proper government since it plunged into lawlessness after President Mohamed Siad Barre was overthrown in 1991.

The country is riven by factional fighting and pirate gangs operate freely from several ports along its Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden coasts.

According to the environmental watchdog Ecoterra International, at least 163 attacks have been carried out by Somali pirates since the start of 2009 alone, 47 of them successful hijackings.

Last year, more than 130 merchant ships were attacked, an increase of more than 200 percent on 2007, according to the International Maritime Bureau's Piracy Reporting Centre in Kuala Lumpur.

Pirates have in recent weeks resumed attacks with the end of the monsoon season. Last week Somali gunmen captured Spanish fishing boat The Alakrana with 36 crew members in the Indian Ocean.

The US Maritime Administration warned last month that the end of the monsoon season was likely to bring an increase in piracy off Somalia and urged shipping companies to be vigilant.

Calmer waters allow pirates, who often operate in small fibreglass skiffs towed out to sea by captured fishing vessels, to hijack freighters, trawlers and private yachts. Cruise vessels have also been attacked.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091007...20091007151820

Last Online
    08-29-2010 @ 12:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    You tell me
    Ancestry
    Mother Lacedaemon, Father Macedonia
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Hahahah talk about a fatal mistake.

Heeeere kitty kitty... Oh shit, that's a LION!

*awful screams*
    Democracy, which is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder, and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequaled alike. - Plato

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

Luckily the French knew how to avert danger by using their traditional most powerful weapon:

Nah. I wonder how those Somali's felt ? "Achmed.. look at that ? That's a big freighter !" "Yusuf we are going to climb on board ... and..."

And they saw themselves staring down the barrel of a locked and loaded French gun ^_^

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Last Online
    12-16-2023 @ 04:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Northmen ,Alamanni, Frank, Westgothen, Celtic Scot and Pict
    Ancestry
    Northmen by my viking blood ( Norway ,Sweden, Denmark, Normandie ) Alaman ( elsasser ), Frank, West
    Country
    France
    Region
    Alsace
    Politics
    Viking law
    Hero
    Hrôlfur
    Religion
    forn sidr
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 13

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawspeaker View Post
    Luckily the French knew how to avert danger by using their traditional most powerful weapon:

Nah. I wonder how those Somali's felt ? "Achmed.. look at that ? That's a big freighter !" "Yusuf we are going to climb on board ... and..."

And they saw themselves staring down the barrel of a locked and loaded French gun ^_^
    avoids the confusion between a coward, who has claimed French, and I, and many of my countrymen, the French are not cowards, I did not raise it not feel like lighting a fire of nonsense cons productive. That said ...

three days ago, another pirate attack took place in the Indian Ocean, against two French fishing boats ..
    which had on board, with marines and commandos who have sent a few rounds, putting to flight the hijackers came to test the forces in presence despite the warning shot to them & been sent.No I have one regret, not being there to have the opportunity of opening fire if he asked was what shook me without somatic!

to tell you, I am so cowardly that I m planning to recruit mercenaries for me to make the easy money on the bodies of those bastards ..... Unscrupulous or detained!
    and believe me, I served and I'm pretty good with a rifle of assault or accuracy with a good telescope ........ yippee

Burning in the Melting Pot Wölfin's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-23-2012 @ 09:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Canidae
    Ethnicity
    Canis Lupus
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Rhineland
    Taxonomy
    Lycaon (Aterum)
    Politics
    #swag
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

I know its not something one should laugh about but in the last months I've heard so many "Piracy Fail" stories from Somali pirates that I'm actually beginning to not take it as seriously as I should anymore lol.

Don't phone me after 10 pm Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo Saxon
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Politics
    UKIP
    Hero
    Ironman
    Religion
    Scrap metal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 149

0 Not allowed!

Lets get this story straight, the pirates thought that the French warship would surrender like they always do.....but the smell of garlic overpowered them, they took flight from the stench.....over to you Savvy?....
    Have you noticed that if you rearrange the letters in ‘illegal immigrants’, and add just a few more letters, it spells, ‘Go home you free-loading, benefit-grabbing, resource-sucking, baby-making, non-English-speaking ********* and take those other hairy-faced, sandal-wearing, bomb-making, camel-riding, goat-f*****g raghead c***s with you.?

Burning in the Melting Pot Wölfin's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-23-2012 @ 09:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Canidae
    Ethnicity
    Canis Lupus
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Rhineland
    Taxonomy
    Lycaon (Aterum)
    Politics
    #swag
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Lets get this story straight, the pirates thought that the French warship would surrender like they always do.....but the smell of garlic overpowered them, they took flight from the stench.....over to you Savvy?....
    <.<
    AHEM!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Flanders
    Region
    Picardie
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

The French are doing a good job down there.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Flanders
    Region
    Picardie
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

^^I mean after all, they are in international water, and following those French ships who are fishing there is a good idea. All western nation should do that and kick some somali's pirates asses.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Last Online
    12-16-2023 @ 04:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Northmen ,Alamanni, Frank, Westgothen, Celtic Scot and Pict
    Ancestry
    Northmen by my viking blood ( Norway ,Sweden, Denmark, Normandie ) Alaman ( elsasser ), Frank, West
    Country
    France
    Region
    Alsace
    Politics
    Viking law
    Hero
    Hrôlfur
    Religion
    forn sidr
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 13

0 Not allowed!

Wink

So, my boat has a steel hull with steel plates on the lines of life, a heavy machine gun with tracer bullets and explosives on the bow lookout nest to post a skipper, sniper .... me with this that must be ....
    on the roof rocket launcher, grenades, and other baubles, to ensure the party and certainly not of somatic, is pulled into the crowd! dice that they cross the safety distance
    So the cruise is free for those interested on recruiting .... paratroopers, commandos, combat swimmers, Legionnaires have priority to apply call Mr commander "even fear" hours shift

Thread Information