Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Thread: How far back can you trace your ancestors?

Banned
    Last Online
    11-29-2020 @ 10:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    25% North English 25% Surrey English 25% Irish 25% Bavarian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Socially and fiscally very liberal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 309

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriCanadian View Post
    Late 1500s. If I wasn’t such a cheapass I would pay for Ancestry; I would unlock so much more. Through my peasant account I have uncovered hundreds more ancestors recently and to my joy found that I have a lot of French heritage! French is my favorite language besides my mother tongue; English. I also adore Portuguese. French is such a beautiful, classy, fancy language. I can read it far better than I can speak it. I find French dialects fascinating, too.
    Excellent, this is the kind of reply I wanted to see.

1. during COVID ancestry.com library version is FREE remotely aka from home for me. check your local public library, they might have ancestry.com available.

You didn't mention explicitly, so i will say familysearch.org was the BEST free site by far, by miles.

We all have certain desires for those who previously did not know from whence we came.

My mothers side only knew up to 1900, my fathers barely at all. I discovered my entire family history for myself and I am proud of it. My last name has been treated as german my whole life, and i knew i was at least partially, turns out it's not, though yes I am still german, but not as much as I thought. A funny feeling. I still have much affection for germany, perhaps more knowing that my ancestors were from a very, very specific region, to the point of concern over inbreeding.

Warning about ancestry.com - people you don't know post "family trees" - don't take them for granted. the best reliable sources are firsthand hand-written that you can view.

Last Online
    09-06-2020 @ 06:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Med
    Ancestry
    Italy (Basilicata, Piedmont, Lazio, Calabria), Spain (Basque Country, Castille, Leon, Navarre, Galic
    Country
    Argentina
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Julio Argentino Roca
    Religion
    Lapsed Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

1 Not allowed!

Middle ages.

Last Online
    05-30-2022 @ 02:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic, English (?)
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Ancestry
    Norman, Celt, Germanic, Dutch, Anglo-Saxon, French!
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Taxonomy
    Hallstat?
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Hero
    Batman lol
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 122

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Snyper Lord 666 View Post
    Excellent, this is the kind of reply I wanted to see.

1. during COVID ancestry.com library version is FREE remotely aka from home for me. check your local public library, they might have ancestry.com available.

You didn't mention explicitly, so i will say familysearch.org was the BEST free site by far, by miles.

We all have certain desires for those who previously did not know from whence we came.

My mothers side only knew up to 1900, my fathers barely at all. I discovered my entire family history for myself and I am proud of it. My last name has been treated as german my whole life, and i knew i was at least partially, turns out it's not, though yes I am still german, but not as much as I thought. A funny feeling. I still have much affection for germany, perhaps more knowing that my ancestors were from a very, very specific region, to the point of concern over inbreeding.

Warning about ancestry.com - people you don't know post "family trees" - don't take them for granted. the best reliable sources are firsthand hand-written that you can view.
    I was labouring under the delusion for more than 20 years that I was merely English, Scottish and a little bit German (pre Internet era.) Since I have commenced scouring, I'm Friesian, Huguenot, Prussian, French, Swiss German, French Swiss, Dutch, Scots (of the Alppin variety among others), Ulster-Scots, French Irish (wtf?), English, Irish, Quebecois, American Dutch...my head hurts! LOL. However, there is a conflict between my Grandfather's Grandfather's family lore. He wrote out that his father was descended from an Englishman who was knighted by King George (the one that lost the revolutionary American war.) No such record, I can find, exists. Ancestry pointed me into an entirely different direction. Sadly, my Grandfather passed away at age 88 several years ago. I can't ask him for his 0.02c anymore. FML!
    Blood type A+
    Curly, fine, dark blonde hair.
    5'8.5"
    Green-blue eyes.

The old (deceased) guy in my profile pic is an ancestor of mine. He was an Englishman.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Thread Information