Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: How far back can you trace your ancestors?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9,313/59
    Given: 10,169/18

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldemj°den View Post
    How many of you work with actual paper-trail, as opposed to computer-generated hints and copy-pasted trees?
    I've only used verified paper trails. On my mother's paternal side I had to pay for professional genealogists to trace my ancestry due to her having an extremely common surname. Her father had one of the most common christian and Irish surnames ever. The surname is one of the most commonest in that area. They traced further back on both sides of my mother's ancestry than I could but they were in the country whereas I'm not.

The Morrigan (also Mˇrrigan or Morrigu) is one of the most mysterious figures in Irish mythology.
    The name Morrigan means 'phantom queen' (or 'great queen') and describes a Goddess from old Ireland that was very associated with war, destiny, fate and death.
    She was a shape-shifter and frequently appeared as a black crow, an ominous sign for those who saw her prior to battle. Legend has it that the Morrigan was in fact a triad of sisters, often named as Badb, Macha and Nemain, while the Morrigan is also remembered as the triad of the land Goddesses ╔riu, Banba and Fˇdla.

http://www.ireland-information.com/i...sh-legend.html

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9,313/59
    Given: 10,169/18

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldNorth View Post
    There’s only a couple common gallowglas names, Sweeney is on of them if my memory is correct
    I can give you a few Gallowglass surnames that went to Ireland.

The Fighting Norse-Scots-Irish Surnames.
    As I mentioned previously, whole Galloglass families left Scotland to settle in Ireland. So, although some of these surnames originated in Scotland, they are now considered Irish and include the following surnames:

McCabe, McCallion/McCallan, McColl/McColley, McCrory/McRory/Rogers, Gallogly/English, McGirr/Short, McGreal , Sheehy, McSorley and McSweeney/McSwiney.

However, a larger number of Galloglass families either went to Ireland on a seasonal basis – and later returned to Scotland – or only parts of clans moved fully to Ireland. As a result, there are a number of Gallowglass surnames that could be considered both Irish and Scottish – and are still found in both Ireland and Scotland today. These include:

McAllister/McAlister, McAteer/McIntyre, McAuley/ McAulay/ McCauley, Campbell, McClean/ McLean, McCoy/McKay, McCollum/ McCallum, McDowell /McDougall (some became Doyle), McDonnell /McDonald, McFadden/McFayden and McNeill.

https://www.aletterfromireland.com/t...es-of-ireland/

The Morrigan (also Mˇrrigan or Morrigu) is one of the most mysterious figures in Irish mythology.
    The name Morrigan means 'phantom queen' (or 'great queen') and describes a Goddess from old Ireland that was very associated with war, destiny, fate and death.
    She was a shape-shifter and frequently appeared as a black crow, an ominous sign for those who saw her prior to battle. Legend has it that the Morrigan was in fact a triad of sisters, often named as Badb, Macha and Nemain, while the Morrigan is also remembered as the triad of the land Goddesses ╔riu, Banba and Fˇdla.

http://www.ireland-information.com/i...sh-legend.html

Last Online
    Today @ 02:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo Saxon, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    G2a
    mtDNA
    R
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 3/0

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldemj°den View Post
    That's very sensible. I do the same for the trees I manage on Ancestry and Geni for friends and people of interest, but I'm pedantic to a fault when it comes to my own family tree, which is maintained completely offline. Every line of information is verified with a scanned source. Ultimately I hope to turn my research into a kind of album focusing on my ancestors and their immediate families. I've started working on it, but I find little time between maintaining a relationship, social life, work and studies:
    That's a really good idea too. I was thinking of doing the same for my family tree.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Judane
    Ancestry
    Jewish and Danish
    Country
    Denmark
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,708/58
    Given: 1,583/11

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I've only used verified paper trails. On my mother's paternal side I had to pay for professional genealogists to trace my ancestry due to her having an extremely common surname. Her father had one of the most common christian and Irish surnames ever. The surname is one of the most commonest in that area. They traced further back on both sides of my mother's ancestry than I could but they were in the country whereas I'm not.
    I've been in that boat so I can certainly relate. Had my share of Pedersens, Jensens, Levins etc to overcome. Your best shot in these cases is address-based records, the kind that are rarely available online. I've only used a professional once to search a local archive in Russia, but I have poured a lot of money into commissioning scans. All worth it, as nothing tops the joy of a breakthrough.
    It's a bit like solving a personalized puzzle.
    I've had a little experience with research in Ireland, mostly around Dublin. I know how scarce records are. Props to you for rising to the challenge.
    Spoiler!

Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222
    mtDNA
    K1a
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,881/33
    Given: 712/55

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I can go back as far as it matters. Pretty much don't care about individual ancestors 10+ generations ago, who are impossible to verify anyway. My name is also tied to my ancestral area and Y-DNA since time immemorial.
    "differences in genetic ancestry that happen to correlate with many of today's racial constructs are real" - (((David Reich)))
    "genetic variations are likely to affect behaviour and cognition just as they affect other traits" - (((David Reich)))

Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222
    mtDNA
    K1a
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,881/33
    Given: 712/55

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

deleted

"differences in genetic ancestry that happen to correlate with many of today's racial constructs are real" - (((David Reich)))
    "genetic variations are likely to affect behaviour and cognition just as they affect other traits" - (((David Reich)))

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread Information