Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

Default Does God Exist?

This isn't a poll. This is a thread to debate the existance of God and to analyse the arguments for and against. It seems that The Apricity is lacking this discussion and if I am wrong and the search function fucked up again, then I apologise.

Anyways, does God exist?

Regards,
    Eóin.
    [Signature Pending]

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Flanders
    Region
    Picardie
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Yup.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,944
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

Good thread idea Eóin.

Very shortly from my point of view:

I have seen no tangible evidence yet that "God" exists. Hmmm but first we need to determine the qualities and definition of such a "God". Is he/she/it merely the creator? Or are we talking Christian God here? Or any God at all?

The mysteries of how the universe and all that is within it came to being, are probably too much for the human mind to ever fully comprehend. To bridge this dilemma, human cultures have come up with the idea of a god who created everything. "God" is thus:

1) a convenient explanation of things we are too stupid to understand, and

2) an escapism to make us feel better about our own mortality.

I don't believe in the existence of God, and especially not in the very specific Christian one.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    05-15-2014 @ 10:49 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavo-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Polish/Anglo-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Michigan
    Politics
    Imperialismo Pagano
    Religion
    Hyperborea or Oblivion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Leaning towards an Ignostic view.
    Last edited by Nodens; 10-10-2009 at 05:57 AM.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split."

-Robert E. Howard

Last Online
    02-27-2012 @ 12:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Jute
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Politics
    Freegress
    Religion
    Potatoism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Very shortly from my point of view:

I have seen no tangible evidence yet that "God" exists. Hmmm but first we need to determine the qualities and definition of such a "God". Is he/she/it merely the creator? Or are we talking Christian God here? Or any God at all?
    I have given you examples of such evidence, which you haven't evaluated and certainly not refuted.
    A man who fights for a cause thereby affirms the cause of the fight.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,944
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lutiferre View Post
    I have given you examples of such evidence, which you haven't evaluated and certainly not refuted.
    I have evaluated your examples and found them to be inconclusive at best, and biased at worst. It is not enough for me to say: "I believe in God now!".

As a Christian I had some very interesting experiences. I still cannot explain it. I recall in 1988 I had a significant spiritual experience, which was unexpected and un-anticipated. To this day, it baffles me. That experience set the course to change my life, and I've been a very committed Christian for the following 12 years.

Upon re-evaluation, I consider even my own significant personal experiences, which were life-changing, not to be enough evidence to point to the existence of God. It could simply have been a brain function that nobody is aware of yet.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    07-28-2017 @ 01:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    OxiClean
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

0 Not allowed!

Gods does exist, in everyone of us, you just need to find yours and follow it and make a good person out of yourself, how do you call him or her, could not care less.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Jute
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Politics
    Freegress
    Religion
    Potatoism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

And with that I was thinking of this post among others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutiferre View Post
    That is, if they thought with their head for a while, and then immediately stopped to found a sect (see the quote in my signature).

Those who become Christian rather do so on much deeper reflections.

I am sure you mean that it is likely that it is unlikely to be true.

But Christianity does not base itself on "random" beliefs; far from it. Rather, it bases itself on beliefs which can be traced back to a tradition that goes back many thousands of years, in which numerous historical events are involved, and a long historical process of clearly exacting our beliefs in exposition and discussion in the many ecumenical councils and so on. It is certainly not "random".

If you simply want pure evidence and reason, in that sense, you should look into the many contemporary evidentialist Christian philosophers, like William Lane Craig who argues from the premise that Christianity makes historical claims, which is also relevant to the probability of the truth of the claims of Christianity, in the historical sense, for which you could look to Richard Swinburnes The Resurrection of God Incarnate, (reviewed here) in which he calculates the probability of Jesus ressurrection to a Bayesian probability of 97% (in the background of his previous theistic work). As to whether there is such evidence to establish Gods existence, you can certainly find many. A modalised version of the third way of Aquinas can be found here, a cosmological proof based on a weak causal principle, or the many other cosmological arguments, like Swinburnes C-inductive argument, not to mention the deductive Thomistic cosmological argument from contingency, or the Leibnizian one from reduction to the minimal amount of necessary causal regressions or the Kalam version, (both sketched shortly here) or Swinburnes teleological proof from order and in its similar axiomatic incarnation (briefly discussed here and exposited more deeply along with others here), or Kurt Gödels ontological proof, or Heartshones modal argument, or Peter Kreefts short and simple list of 20 proofs (here). There is also the Kantian transcendental proof, which exists in several forms, but is certainly the most radical one.

For certain, it is notable that under a Christian theistic epistemic structure, it is much easier to understand the fundamental question of why there is something rather than nothing. That this question is accounted for, even if the account is not itself taken to be absolutely certain or proven, is something which renders the interpretation of the world more rationally accesible.

But in fact, you should know that your statements and deamnds of evidence already presuppose that evidentialism; and that such is not mandated a priori as some kind of necessity for epistemic justification. Looking to establish religious epistemology on other forms of justification compatible with what would be to be expected given that Christianity is true, is in fact, a necessity to evaluate it's rationality and truth. Therefore, I deflect the evidentialism and refer to the work in Reformed Epistemology, especially here, Alvin Plantingas work on properly basic beliefs, which though, still involve the criteria of epistemic possibility, which is certainly complemented by the work of Christian metaphysicians and even evidentialists. You can find a short introduction to his work on epistemic justification here.

All this, of course, is part of a rationalist paradigm of thinking which needs not be accepted. It might be closer to the truth to accept a kind of wider epistemological effect of Gödels incompleteness theorem and Heisenbergs uncertainty principle, and resort to the Christian phenomenologists like Xavier Zubiri and their excellent work and it's implication for how we know the world and the truth and God (short introduction here, and longer expositions here, here, here and here). It is also worth looking at, in the end, ultimately a Kierkegaardian approach which is far from impressed by rationalism.

But whichever view one chooses, it's without doubt that your accusations remain irrelevant, show no knowledge of Christian philosophers and thinking, no insight, and bring nothing new to the table of the discussion which has been ongoing for the last thousands of years.

Or maybe existence is simply not a predicate, per Kant. Or maybe you or I can bring another thing up. Whichever you choose, cowboy.

You have not shown that a Christian worldview does not have sufficient epistemic justification, or that it is a case of "something we have absolutely no evidence exists", or that it is even a case of having to prove any such things rather than being a case of instrumentalist and experiental epistemology and goals which has no occupation with evidence, or even of a Kierkegaardian one and it's implications for what the truth of the thing is to be determined after. Indeed, all you have done is bring a worthless and incoherent accusation full of nonsensical presuppositions that I have no more nerve to dissect.

There are varying degrees of connection, and certainly of ontological and epistemic types, even if they aren't "denominationally" equivalent. But even if there are such ontological and epistemic equivlances between theistic and deistic claims, there isn't far from the belief in such a transcendent, rational being that has created all things in existence, which implicitly implies the potentiality of an interaction with humans (from omnipotence) to the actuality of that interaction between one rational and powerful being (the transcendent creator) and the rational and powerful beings it has freely brought about (humans), and that obviously not by compulsion if it is indeed omnipotent as both deists and theists agree. These beliefs, though diverse, share mostly the fundamental similarities, one example of which is your more or less universal nominator of "absolute existence" which is a good basic statement of the fact of God, whichever way we come to realize it.

There are many physicists and biologists and others who maintain their belief in God as the Lawgiver, something that Darwin maintained until his old age, and there are many analogies in the natural world that leads to such a belief.

That too in modern science, in the words of the Anglican particle physicist who helped discover the quark, John Polkinghorne, that "the nearest analogy in the physical world [to God] would be ... the Quantum Vacuum.".
    As for more elaborations on Christianity, I have made many other posts. This one, and here, here, and here.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Jute
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Politics
    Freegress
    Religion
    Potatoism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I have evaluated your examples and found them to be inconclusive at best, and biased at worst. It is not enough for me to say: "I believe in God now!".
    I never said it was enough for you to believe in God; convincing was not my agenda, since that is subjective.

Last Online
    03-22-2012 @ 03:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German / English
    Ancestry
    Mother's family is all German. Father's family is English since 1066; before that Norman
    Region
    Kansas
    Politics
    Nietzsche
    Religion
    Æsir
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

I believe in a supreme creative force. It could be a deity of it could simply be a nontheistic force. Perhaps it's a combination of the two, or perhaps a combination of those two plus more that we just don't understand. To be sure there is a god or to be sure there isn't a god is utter nonsense, therefore it's impossible to adequately convince someone either way. You just have to rely on what you yourself believe. I took as much evidence as I could (and I'm always gathering ever more) and with the evidence I've accumulated, made a best-guess based on the data.

A lot of it goes back to cosmology. How did something come from nothing? Because I don't know doesn't prove that God did it, but it forces me to place God as a cause since I lack any other theory.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information