Fascist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    There is no evidence at all for that though. It can only be believed. I'm sorry but blind faith is not good enough for me. According to everything we know, you start decomposing when your heart stopped pumping and your organs have failed. Eventually only bones are left. And far enough into the future, even the bones will wither away. Your consciousness ceases once the brain functions have stopped.
    That's what happens to the flesh and blood, yes.

And no you will never be able to prove religion, that would make God's creation pointless. We are created in His image and thus have a free will. There is a region why it's called belief and not fact.
    Democracy, which is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder, and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequaled alike. - Plato

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,949
    Given: 45,035

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    That's what happens to the flesh and blood, yes.
    That's all we are, unfortunately.

And no you will never be able to prove religion,
    Which is why it is considered to be nothing more than superstition.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    05-01-2010 @ 08:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    African
    Ethnicity
    Yoruba
    Ancestry
    Savannah
    Taxonomy
    Congoid
    Politics
    Yoruban supremacy
    Religion
    trolltheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Stupid question - stupid answer. That's it.

Last Online
    08-29-2010 @ 12:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    You tell me
    Ancestry
    Mother Lacedaemon, Father Macedonia
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

That's all we are, unfortunately.
    That's the visible part of us.

Which is why it is considered to be nothing more than superstition.
    Nah, to me the changing of seasons is enough to see the divine work of God on earth. All this an accident? I think not.
    Democracy, which is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder, and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequaled alike. - Plato

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,949
    Given: 45,035

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    That's the visible part of us.
    As opposed to ... the invisible? You are quite right. I don't believe in things that only exist in imaginations and wishful thinking. Like ghosts, spirits, etc.

Nah, to me the changing of seasons is enough to see the divine work of God on earth. All this an accident? I think not.
    Yes, you think not. Which means you cannot comprehend everything. Neither can I, after all we are only human. But that doesn't mean we have to fill the gap of the unknown with religion. That's a massive leap of faith which is not required. Rather, we can strive to understand more through factual and evidential scientific investigation and logical evaluation.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    02-27-2012 @ 12:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Jute
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Politics
    Freegress
    Religion
    Potatoism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Why is transcendence so important? I don't get it. And to what end?
    Why transcendence is important? That was not what I was starting a debate about; I merely stated the obvious fact of religions which do value transcendence.

Why transcendence is important is obvious if you can imagine the viewpoint of any seeker of transcendence. Transcendence is what gives everything else it's meaning and importance, it's existence or non-existence, significance or non-significance; that which is greatest for you and everything and everyone else, and that which is the eternal good, right now and forever on, even if it is not the temporal good. As C.S. Lewis said, I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    If you say not all religions are equal, then in your view (as a Christian) ... what is the difference between a Hindu and an atheist? According to accepted Christian teaching, both are going to hell anyway.
    No. There is no accepted Christian teaching on who in general is going to hell or heaven, the only general teaching is that it depends on free will (which is why universal salvation cannot be true; it would violate human freedom if God forced us into heaven). Hindus can be saved if Christ wills it and if they freely will it to the extent they can, in their ignorance. But that doesn't mean Christianity isn't still the safest path to salvation. And salvation, by the way, doesn't mean just going to hell in some distant future; it means healing and wholeness in relation to God and creation and yourself in your entire life on earth, as well.
    As for elevation of self, atheism is more effective in that. Atheism frees you up to appreciate this life -- the only one you'll ever have -- and utilize it to the full. A belief in an afterlife can lead to negligence in this life.
    You don't even know what I meant with elevation. You are speaking about devaluation of self rather than elevation into transcendence, that which is eternally bigger than self, whereas you confine self to be eternally small, meaningless, non-existing and unable to progress beyond and detach from beastliness and mere materiality.
    Last edited by Lutiferre; 10-11-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    A man who fights for a cause thereby affirms the cause of the fight.

Last Online
    02-27-2012 @ 12:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Jute
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Politics
    Freegress
    Religion
    Potatoism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

There is no evidence at all for that though. It can only be believed. I'm sorry but blind faith is not good enough for me. According to everything we know, you start decomposing when your heart stopped pumping and your organs have failed. Eventually only bones are left. And far enough into the future, even the bones will wither away. Your consciousness ceases once the brain functions have stopped.
    That the body decomposes only shows that your consciousness will stop changing, because matter is the potency for change. However, that the brain and body is necessary for consciousness, sensory input and change in consciousness, is obvious; but the modality of necessity for the ontogenesis of conscious being within the world is not the same as sufficiency or exclusivity.

Indeed, the Christian belief is that the consciousness remains in stasis at death because there will be no body (brain) attached to it, with which to alter the consciousness since matter is potency and time is the medium of change; and there will be no time, which is also why we can never change whether we are going to heaven or hell after we die since there can be no change by metaphysical necessity. The nature of this state is unknown, and whether it's actually truly conscious or not is unknown. Many believe it will be a soul-sleep until the soul regains a body.

We don't believe true consciousness can be actually disembodied; it requires a body (including brain) by modal necessity. Therefore, we will only ever regain true consciousness in the ressurrection with a body.
    A man who fights for a cause thereby affirms the cause of the fight.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    That which does not kill us makes us stranger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69

0 Not allowed!

I think he just came across as a heartless bully culling off an easy scalp.

Yes, the person who asked the original question may have been uninformed and naive, and quite probably not intellectually prepared to engage Dawkins in a seriouis debate (I think the very simplistic forming of the original question is ample proof of that).

But still, imo he should have had the discipline of simply bypassing the question.

Veteran Member Lulletje Rozewater's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-24-2011 @ 10:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/French
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Holland/France/Germany
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Prussia
    Politics
    to preserve whiteness
    Religion
    none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lutiferre View Post
    It is that all religions have truth and no matter how much, if they do have truth, they certainly have more of the truth than an irreligious person in any case.
    Could you quote some please

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Dawkins is a fool who thinks you can hammer a nail in with a tea towel; he doesn’t understand the concept of using the correct tool for the right job as the ultimate reductionist reactionary he thinks he can use the same tool for every job.

More fool him.

Being blinded by science is just as foolish as being ignorant of it.
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information