rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default 1860 counties in Southern Appalachia

stumbled upon this by accident when doing some research on the Appalachians. Has a great list of the counties that are considered "Appalachian" in the Southern U.S. The list mentions some counties that did not generally pop in my mind when I thought of Appalachian.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/faculty_ar...omen/where.htm

Don't know if my kin can truly be called "Appalachian" as we first settled in Mecklenburg/Lunenburg, VA before migrating to Appalachian Overton County, TN but there's still some tie of some sort.

puttin' in yer windies Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2013 @ 04:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Found an interesting spiel on Appalachian demographics as well:

http://www.arc.gov/images/reports/ra.../diversity.pdf

According to the first charts presented from the 1990 U.S. Census, the Appalachian regions remained unchanged since the previous century (good thing, if only the rest of the U.S. would learn from this), consisting of 91% whites, 7% negro, 1% hispanic, 1% other.

However, by the year 2000 minorities rose 12%. Whites being 88% (20.1 million), Negroes 8%(1.9 million), Hispanic 2% (465,000), Other races 2% (471,000).

Still much more "traditional" than the rest of the U.S. that was 52% White, 15% Negro, 17% Hispanic, 16% Other races.

It was noted in this piece that the Hispanic numbers are continually growing in modern day Appalachia. If this continues the place that I know and love, the place I was raised, the places where my family farmed, fought, bled and died after leaving their ancestral lands over the great pond, will be turned into a new LA.

Seems that a great deal of Appalachian Tennessee is secure, especially approaching the West Central part of the range where the minorities are less than 10% according to the maps provided (my beloved Overton included in what I call the "safe zones" woot!)

Thread Information