View Poll Results: How well can you cook?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very well. If I have the ingredients, I could prepare any meal.

15 27.78%
  • Somewhat well. I can cook when I need to and it usually comes out okay.

22 40.74%
  • Not very well. I can cook the basics but not much else.

9 16.67%
  • Horribly. Fast food and pre-packaged items save me every time (as if I had another choice).

8 14.81%
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Can You Cook?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    08-21-2012 @ 08:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltic
    Ethnicity
    Lithuanian-Polish
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I can grill me a steak that can taste ok. I know how to push the buttons on the microwave. I can reheat take out food real good.
    ROPE and CHAINS

and

AMBALAMPS

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

I can cook the best chicken and pasta, mixed with lashings and lashings of tomato ketchup and brown sauce and green beans, you will ever taste.

Militant Irish Redhead Gwynyvyr's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-03-2011 @ 03:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland and one lonely Swede
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Radical Conservative
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

I cook everything from scratch.
    I make my own vinegars.
    I make kimchi, sauerkraut and other fermented foods (good for you, they are!)
    Right now I am a bit annoyed because my old pasta machine has fallen to pieces and I either have to buy pasta or roll it out and cut by hand.

I make *powders*...tomato powder, spinach powder, celery powder, apple powder....using the skins, peels, bits and pieces that people normally toss out.
    Great for flavoring soups and stews, making dips, adding to bread recipes and other things.

I don't do this to be a *foodie* or a wanna-be chef. I raised seven kids and had to wring out every tiny bit of flavor and nutrition out of the food I bought or raised. I learned over the years.

This is a bit from my blog:

I used to buy Bisquick and thought I was making a frugal choice...then I found recipes to make my own *Bisquick* type mix from scratch. Terrific and easy to stock your pantry with, but with just a few add-ins you can make pancakes, biscuits, muffins, cakes, cookies...the list goes on...
    This recipe makes a big batch...I usually make a bigger batch (twice this size!), but it stores well. It is also great to have it on hand for immediate use.

Fake "Bisquick" Baking Mix
    9 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup baking powder
    1 Tablespoon salt
    2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
    2 1/2 cups nonfat powdered milk
    2 cups shortening (which does not require refrigeration, I use bargain brand all- vegetable)

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar and sugar two times. Mix in dry milk (I just stir it in really well...taking about 2 minutes to make sure it is well-mixed) Cut in shortening until mixture looks like grainy cornmeal. Store in covered container in your pantry. No refrigeration necessary, but still, you don't want it to get over-heated...might give it an *off* taste!

Biscuits
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine 1 1/2 cups Fake "Bisquick" Mix and 1/3 cup milk in a bowl. Add milk and stir. Knead lightly on floured board.Try not to over-handle dough as it will make your biscuits *tough*. Roll 1/2-inch thick; cut and place on un-greased baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Makes 8.

Add-Ins: Grated sharp cheddar cheese or minced herbs (I like rosemary!)

Muffins
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Beat together in a bowl 1 egg, 1 cup milk and 2 tablespoons sugar. Add 3 cups Fake "Bisquick" Mix. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. DO NOT OVER MIX! Spoon into greased muffin pans or into paper muffin cups and bake 20 minutes.

Add-Ins:Chopped nuts or dried fruit. Replace 1/3 cup of Fake "Bisquick" Mix called for with quick-cooking oatmeal or dry cereal such as Raisin Bran, Fiber One or Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Add extra dried fruit--minced or chopped nuts and bake as a fruit bread in a greased 8 x 5-inch loaf pan. Change baking time and temp. to 40 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Pancakes or Waffles
    Whip with wire whisk 1 cup milk and 1 egg until well mixed and *frothy*. Stir in 1 1/2 cups Fake Bisquick Mix. Cook on griddle or bake on waffle iron. I have found that it helps if you brush a waffle iron with a bit of oil before you put the batter in!

Add-Ins: Dried blueberries, cranberries or fresh strawberries (sliced). If adding dried fruit, let set 10 minutes before cooking.

Dumplings
    Mix 1/3 cup water to 1 cup Fake Bisquick Mix. Drop into hot broth and cook 10-15 minutes, uncovered, and 10 minutes, covered.

Add Ins: Minced herbs to compliment the stock/soup.

Yellow Cake
    Sift together in a large bowl 3 cups Fake Bisquick Mix and 1 1/4 cups sugar. Mix together in a small bowl 2 beaten eggs, 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Add this gradually to dry ingredients while beating with mixer on *Low*. Beat at high speed for 3 to 5 minutes after all dry ingredients are mixed in. Grease a 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Ice cake or leave bare or spread jam on top!

Add Ins: For chocolate cake increase the sugar to 1 1/2 and add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder. Or add 1 teaspoon rum extract (instead of almond extract) and 1/2 cup chopped nuts. YUM!

Coffee Cake
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat together in a bowl 1/3 cup milk and 1 egg. Add 1/4 cup sugar and 2 1/4 cups Fake Bisquick Mix. Stir together well , about two minutes. Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking pan. Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 3 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 teaspoon Rum, almond or lemon extract and sprinkle over the top. Bake 25 minutes.

Add Ins: For a sunny orange coffee cake,cut milk to 1/4 cup, add 4 tablespoons orange juice and stir. Change topping to 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 cup chopped slivered almonds, 1 teaspoon orange zest, 3 tablespoons butter, toss with 1/2 teaspoon orange extract or thawed frozen orange juice concentrate and bake as directed.

Oatmeal Cookies
    Place 2 1/4 cups Fake Bisquick Mix in a bowl. Stir in 1 3/4 cups brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Combine 1/3 cup milk, 2 beaten eggs and 1/2 cup melted shortening. Stir into mix and blend well. Add 3 cups (uncooked) oatmeal and mix. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 12 minutes.

Add Ins: 1/2 cup raisins, chopped nuts, chocolate chips (use the semi-sweet!) For a different twist, add 2 tablespoons orange juice to mix plus 1/2 teaspoon orange zest.

Banana Walnut Bread
    Beat 2 eggs and 1/4 cup sugar together in a bowl until well blended. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1 1/4 cups (2 to 3, depending on size) mashed bananas and 3/4 cup chopped walnuts. Stir in 2 1/2 cups Fake Bisquick Mix. If mix seems too dry, add water, one teaspoon at a time until batter is very thick, yet still pourable. Pour into a greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes or until brown.
    Pizza Crust
    Add 1/2 cup warm water to 2 cups Fake Bisquick Mix and form into a ball. Knead and roll out 1/2-inch thick. Place in a 10-inch pan, leaving a rim around the edge. Brush the dough with oil, then spread with favorite toppings.
    Add Ins: Add 1/2 teaspoon minced oregano, 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary or other herbs to mix when you add water.
    "That man that hath a tongue, I say is no man,
    If with his tongue he cannot win a woman."

The Two Gentlemen of Verona (III, i, 104-105)

Banned
    Last Online
    07-25-2020 @ 05:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    UK/Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Celto-Germanic
    Religion
    Chaos-Gnosticism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

0 Not allowed!

I can make a MEAN grilled cheese!

That is all.

Jägerstaffel

0 Not allowed!

I can cook anything.

And the things that I don't know how to cook - I can learn and make them tasty delicious.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 49

0 Not allowed!

This is more or less the stuff I cook.

I am very good at making pasta and salads from scratch from left overs in the fridge. I also adore pulses of most kinds, cheeses boiled vegetables.

Generally, I prefer to eat fresh (raw) food so salads are my number one choice, and like to try funny combinations, such as:

Apple and hazelnut salad with aniseed dressing

Salad with lettuce, avocado and fresh mushrooms

Pasta salad with roasted vegetables and Greek goat’s cheese dressing

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    08-21-2012 @ 08:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltic
    Ethnicity
    Lithuanian-Polish
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

0 Not allowed!

With Ragu spaghetti sauce and frozen meat balls, and some whole wheat pasta, I was able to cook dinner tonight. I did add about 1/2 onion and lots of garlic powder.
    ROPE and CHAINS

and

AMBALAMPS

Militant Irish Redhead Gwynyvyr's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-03-2011 @ 03:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland and one lonely Swede
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Radical Conservative
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    I am very good at making pasta and salads from scratch from left overs in the fridge. I also adore pulses of most kinds, cheeses boiled vegetables.

Generally, I prefer to eat fresh (raw) food so salads are my number one choice, and like to try funny combinations
    I adore salads! That's what made me go into making my own flavored vinegars and flavored oils.

A lot of times I make salad wraps as I am on the go a lot in my job.
    One of my favorites is thinly sliced pear, chopped walnuts, raw baby spinach, sliced strawberries if I have them and then drizzle it with raspberry vinergarette, wrap it up and go. YUM!
    "That man that hath a tongue, I say is no man,
    If with his tongue he cannot win a woman."

The Two Gentlemen of Verona (III, i, 104-105)

Last Online
    03-13-2009 @ 01:48 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic-Romanche
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    my mother was italian,irish and scilian.my father was italian,german,polish and cherokee.
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Constitutionist
    Religion
    born again
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

0 Not allowed!

one of the many odd recipies i have...

its called Hobo Stew..
    1 pound of browned ground beef
    1 or 2 cups of raw rice
    1 can of corn
    1 can of cream of mushroom soup ( optional.. i personaly dont use this, but ppl have complained of how dry the stew is then)

just brown the meat, boil the rice, then add everything together and eat

Last Online
    05-17-2020 @ 04:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-germanic
    Ethnicity
    Cape Bretoner
    Ancestry
    Brittany, Scotland, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Novia Scotia
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I will be trying a recipe for Guinness Chocolate Cake this weekend. I will post the recipe if I like it.

May the gods bless Guinness

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information