Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Leon Uris's Trinity

I remember having read Uris's Trinity as an adolescent. I loved absolutely all things Irish back then, for whatever reason! (Not that this is bad mind you and not that I've lost that interest in Ireland, I've just found other loves of other European lands too as I grew up). But I remember being struck by this novel. It seemed to have captured the turmoil, the tensions, the high-running passions of a people divided. And these thoughts came from a Canadian kid....

All of this is to ask you Oísin: I have no idea here if you have ever read this novel or not, but if you have read it, what were/are your thoughts about it? Was it a fictional work that portrayed Ireland well for its time?

Any other comments from other folk would be appreciated too of course!

Cheers for now!...Aemma

Last Online
    08-12-2009 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celt
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Luimneach, Chiarraí
    Country
    Ireland
    Taxonomy
    Gael
    Politics
    Nationalist, anti-Capitalist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    I remember having read Uris's Trinity as an adolescent. I loved absolutely all things Irish back then, for whatever reason! (Not that this is bad mind you and not that I've lost that interest in Ireland, I've just found other loves of other European lands too as I grew up). But I remember being struck by this novel. It seemed to have captured the turmoil, the tensions, the high-running passions of a people divided. And these thoughts came from a Canadian kid....

All of this is to ask you Oísin: I have no idea here if you have ever read this novel or not, but if you have read it, what were/are your thoughts about it? Was it a fictional work that portrayed Ireland well for its time?

Any other comments from other folk would be appreciated too of course!

Cheers for now!...Aemma
    I read Trinity about 3 years ago - what a book. I thought it was a bit slow getting started but once I got into it I couldn't put it down.
    Hats off to Leon Uris, I think he done a fine job of portraying what Ireland was like for the Irish people during the 19th Century under British (mis)rule.
    A history lesson, romance, revolution, plenty of twists and a heroic ending - everything you could want in a book. I read that there was a follow up book as well but I never got round to buying it.
    At the minute I'm reading The Fenian Anthology, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in Irish nationalism.
    Glaine ár gcroí - Neart ár ngéag - Beart de réir ár mbriathar

Thread Information