PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
quotes that describe the character of your ethnicity (from books, articles, old interviews, etc.) - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: quotes that describe the character of your ethnicity (from books, articles, old interviews, etc.)

Eating all your Kings and Queens Atlantic Islander's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-29-2014 @ 05:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Azores
    mtDNA
    H1
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,204
    Given: 10,750

0 Not allowed!

I like all the descriptions I posted, they are as true now as they were then.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-08-2024 @ 12:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,581
    Given: 20,431

0 Not allowed!

I can't really find one about Palis. The quotes pulled up are all pertinent to the Israeli-Pali conflict .

Last Online
    08-22-2015 @ 08:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Slavic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Swiss-German, Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Anti America, Anti Islam, Anti EU, Sovereign democracy, Globalism, Russian Patriotism
    Religion
    Russia
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,683
    Given: 4,085

0 Not allowed!

i don care what people have to say about my people

Eating all your Kings and Queens Atlantic Islander's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-29-2014 @ 05:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Azores
    mtDNA
    H1
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,204
    Given: 10,750

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RussiaPrussia View Post
    i don care what people have to say about my people
    They don't have to be by others.

Mazik

3 Not allowed!

"The Swedes are well built, powerful, supple, capable of enduring the hardest work, starvation and trouble. They are born warriors, full of pride..." - François Voltaire

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,420
    Given: 12,533

4 Not allowed!

A passage I really like reading from Edith Durham's journey in high Albania. She describes the style of these Albanian tribes kullas-houses which in turn portrays their character/nature as well.

.."We descended to the river's bank by Gimaj, a village of Shala, and followed up the valley. The river became a torrent, leaping from rock to rock–the pine-clad mountains towered on either hand, and the houses were all kulas –tall stone towers, loopholed for rifles.

A final ascent brought us to the plain of Thethi, a grandly wild spot where the valley opens out. The ground is cultivated, and well watered by cunning little canals. Great isolated boulders are scattered over it, on which stand kulas.

The eyes, some one has said, are the windows of the soul. In extreme wrath, at fighting-point, when a man goes white and strikes, the pupils of his eyes contract to black specks. So do the blank, windowless walls of the kulas, with their tiny loopholes, stand ever threatening.

I think no place where human beings live has given me such an impression of majestic isolation from all the world. It is a spot where the centuries shrivel; the river might be the world's well-spring, its banks the fit home of elemental instincts–passions that are red and rapid."

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-08-2022 @ 08:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,868
    Given: 5,287

4 Not allowed!

“The people are immensely likable— cheerful, extrovert, quick-witted, and unfailingly obliging. Their cities are safe and clean and nearly always built on water. They have a society that is prosperous, well ordered, and instinctively egalitarian. The food is excellent. The beer is cold. The sun nearly always shines. There is coffee on every corner. Life doesn't get much better than this.”

― Bill Bryson on "Australians", In a Sunburned Country

“There is no better way of life in the world than that of the Australian. I firmly believe this. The grumbling, growling, cursing, profane, laughing, beer drinking, abusive, loyal-to-his-mates Australian is one of the few free men left on this earth. He fears no one, crawls to no one, bludges on no one, and acknowledges no master. Learn his way. Learn his language. Get yourself accepted as one of him; and you will enter a world that you never dreamed existed. And once you have entered it, you will never leave it.”

― John O'Grady

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Skipetar
    Country
    Kosovo
    Region
    Dardania
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,778
    Given: 1,359

4 Not allowed!

"The Albanians, these tigers of mountain wars ... have as their religion rebellion. Even their worst warrior is one of the strongest and bravest on the battle-field, just as if he was a knight on the legendary horse. But he has no horse, nor proper weapons for battle. Instead of the horse, he has a lance which strikes as lightning, he has spears who's points are full of posion as the sting of hornets, he has also a wooden bow with some arrows. Furthermore, he is stronger than iron ... "

- Ibn Kemal, Historian of the Turkish court during Skanderbeg's war against the Turks.

"...isn't the Albanian, who, being a slave, did not allow enslavement, freedom-loving? This is a question that could hardly be understood by anyone who has not lived in Albania. The most liberty-loving people in the Balkans is the Albanian people. The Albanian, taken alone, as an individual, is an anarchist by nature. He would brook no bondage let alone on his people, he would not let anything, seen as possibly humiliating, befall his house. The Albanian house stands alone and apart from the rest..."

- Description from a brilliant Bulgarian observer and connoisseur of Albania. (1924)

"The story of the Albanians deserves a study in itself. Attracted by the 'sword, the gold trappings, and the honours, they left their mountains chiefly in order to become soldiers. In the sixteenth century they were to be found in Cyprus, in Venice, in Mantua, in Rome, in Naples, and Sicily, and as far abroad as Madrid, where they went to present their projects and their grievances, to ask for barrels of gunpowder or years of pension, arrogant, imperious, always ready for a fight."

- Nicholas Pappas

taking a break. Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Lurker
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,120
    Given: 2,371

3 Not allowed!

"Italy without Sicily leaves no image in the spirit whatsoever. It is Sicily that is the key to everything"
    -Goethe
    [img]http://************.com/uploads/ignore2.jpg[/img]

Ah, per fortuna un uomo può sognare... un uomo può sognare.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

2 Not allowed!

There was this Old Native, so I read his stories, growing up - among others - with Finnish immigrants. I don't know where these stories are know (where do stories go, do they get recycled or what) so I try to re-tell it. So this guy quite liked my homies. They were not uppity uppity like some others might be, so they were easy to get along. Some Finns started to grow their hairs long like the natives and even wear bandanas, I think these days we call this integrating with the native society, so they were very modern in doing so. So anyway when this guy was just-a pint-sized-man his family's horse died or smth along those lines & they were in dire conditions from hence on. & he proceeds to tell how they're Finn neighbor from the woods one morning comes and loans them his horse only saying: "just don't beat the poor beast." It was very very touching first person account of live events from the American woods.

Here's a classic

The Finnish Battalion was unique from the other Freiwilliger of the Wiking division, such as the Dutch or the Norwegian contingents in Westland and Nordland, by the fact that it's Officer's and NCO's were ex-Finn Army veterans, and fully in charge. The Finns were always an independent breed, and their first introduction to German 'parade-ground' discipline was met by a steely disregard for German language "befehle." (orders). The Finns held out for Finnish language NCO's, and it was there and then that the Germans realized that this contingent might be formed up and kitted out as a Waffen-SS unit, but would ultimately be commanded only by Finnish speaking Officers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information