View Poll Results: WHAT SHOULD BE THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN RELIGION(S) AND THE STATE (IN GOVERNMENT POLICY I.E.)?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • (1.) Religion should be forbidden.

1 2.17%
  • (2.) Society should be governed by atheistic norms to the exclusion of any faith. History should be rewritten from the modern, agnostic perspective. Religious symbols, artefacts, practices and discussions should be banned from public spaces.

2 4.35%
  • (3.) Freedom of religion should prevail in public spaces. The state should keep with a neutral point of view, neutral to religions as well as to secular philosophies (the philosophy of science included).

19 41.30%
  • (4.) The state should be governed by metaphysical principles & applications insofar as shared between the great traditions. Freedom of religion should prevail and the state should keep with a neutral point of view of different religions. Customs of different religions should be accomodated, but it is not the responsibility of the state to provide for them.

7 15.22%
  • (5.) The state should be governed by Christianity. (The state should be governed by metaphysical principles and their applications. Freedom of religion should prevail. The state should favour Christianity in matters of law and custom.)

4 8.70%
  • (6.) Society should be governed by atheistic norms to the exclusion of any faith. History should be rewritten from the modern, agnostic perspective, but our Christian heritage should be allowed to play an important part, proportional to the facts, in education and in the outward forms of the state and its authorities.

2 4.35%
  • (7.) The state should be heathenised. (What is this? Please elaborate on what it means in matters of law, custom and education, for the existing religious institutions and for the outer forms of the state.)

4 8.70%
  • (8.) Other. (Please do explain why you would choose this alternative and make sure that you have considered all the given alternatives prior to voting!!!)

7 15.22%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Religion(s) and the state?

Last Online
    08-15-2018 @ 08:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Ancestry
    Germanics all the way
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    West Sweden
    Politics
    Nationalist / Ethnopluralist
    Relationship Status
    Alive and kicking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 626
    Given: 726

0 Not allowed!

Default Religion(s) and the state?

Take the poll, state your opinion and please discuss!

Please do also state what alternative, after your observations, prevails in your country, what the de facto state of things are in your opinion i.e.

The poll has a Western/Christian bias, but there are alternatives for everyone.
    Pigs can fly... in your face.

Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 08:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

(5.) The state should be governed by Christianity. (The state should be governed by metaphysical principles and their applications. Freedom of religion should prevail. The state should favour Christianity in matters of law and custom.)

Regards,
    Eóin.
    [Signature Pending]

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Ancestry
    Germanics all the way
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    West Sweden
    Politics
    Relationship Status
    Alive and kicking
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eóin View Post
    (5.) The state should be governed by Christianity. (The state should be governed by metaphysical principles and their applications. Freedom of religion should prevail. The state should favour Christianity in matters of law and custom.)

Regards,
    Eóin.
    Thanks, and what is the prevailing order in Scotland as we speak, the prevailing relationship between religions and the state? This is not a trick question, I just think that it is interesting to discuss that along with the normative question.

Veteran Member Lulletje Rozewater's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-24-2011 @ 10:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/French
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Holland/France/Germany
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Prussia
    Politics
    to preserve whiteness
    Religion
    none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

State and Religion should be separate

In 1773, the Rev. Isaac Backus , the most prominent Baptist minister in New England, observed that when "church and state are separate, the effects are happy, and they do not at all interfere with each other: but where they have been confounded together, no tongue nor pen can fully describe the mischiefs that have ensued."

The Godless Constitution

The word "God" does not appear within the text of the Constitution of the United States. After spending three-and-a-half months debating and negotiating about what should go into the document that would govern the land, the framers drafted a constitution that is secular. The U.S. Constitution is often confused with the Declaration of Independence, and it's important to understand the difference.

Religion is not the problem. Interference is, such as Paul and Constantine and the Popes and obviously the translations of the Bible.

Mystic Oracle of Nordicist Purity ikki's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-27-2012 @ 05:10 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aldebaran
    Ethnicity
    Finnswede
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

Trial by combat.
    Sacrifices to the gods, like giant blots.
    Local democracy of council eldars.
    That only cattle and silver be considered money.
    Ultimate freedom, and thus rulers retain loyalty of the tribe members by gifting... in a tradition leading to ring-giving.
    Fertility rituals etc.. (sought after position of the fair maiden of earth, men compete.. and the winner marries her.. and with their fruitful coupling... so will the earth be bountiful)

http://www.poppyware.com/dunham/ralios/vinga.html

Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 08:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropos View Post
    Thanks, and what is the prevailing order in Scotland as we speak, the prevailing relationship between religions and the state? This is not a trick question, I just think that it is interesting to discuss that along with the normative question.
    This is an interesting question. One I do not have much opportunity to discuss due to no one really caring .

In Scotland, both the Catholic and Protestants don't really observe their respective faiths. Being Catholic and being Protestant is simply a social identity and determines more what football (soccer) team you are going to support than whether you're going to Heaven or Hell.

Most Protestants I would think are more loyal to the Orange Order than the Church of Scotland or Free Church of Scotland etc.

As things stand on the political scene, religion and state clash over the issue of Scottish independence as has been shown in another thread on the Orange Order. The hierarchies aren't very vocal on the issue, this is more stemming from the laity with Protestants being more likely to vote Unionist but still with an increasing number for Independence. Catholic's are pretty much pro-Independence because of the connections with Ireland.

The Church of Scotland has baisically went the way as other Protestant sects i.e. homosexual clergy.

The Catholic Church in Scotland isn't as bad as other places I must admit. There are a few crazy parishes that are more American Evangelical than Catholic—one such parish being just around the corner from me—but for the most part it is rather conservative with a few outspoken Bishops on issues such as Stem Cell research etc.

So Christianity is still a social factor in Scotland but not as we would expect.

The Mohammedan population is steadily growing, and many areas in Glasgow are simply not safe due to this. The government of course welcomes their contribution.

Regards,
    Eóin.
    [Signature Pending]

Last Online
    04-14-2011 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Krauty
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
    State and Religion should be separate

In 1773, the Rev. Isaac Backus , the most prominent Baptist minister in New England, observed that when "church and state are separate, the effects are happy, and they do not at all interfere with each other: but where they have been confounded together, no tongue nor pen can fully describe the mischiefs that have ensued."
    This. Any religionists wishing for state sponsorship of religion may enjoy the inevitable bloodshed in a country other than mine.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94

0 Not allowed!

Thomas Jefferson said it best:

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their "legislature" should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between church and State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Ancestry
    Germanics all the way
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    West Sweden
    Politics
    Relationship Status
    Alive and kicking
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

(4.) The state should be governed by metaphysical principles & applications insofar as shared between the great traditions. Freedom of religion should prevail and the state should keep with a neutral point of view of different religions. Customs of different religions should be accomodated, but it is not the responsibility of the state to provide for them.

As for this question ...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropos View Post
    Please do also state what alternative, after your observations, prevails in your country, what the de facto state of things are in your opinion i.e.
    ... it is my opinion that Sweden is governed according to alternative number 6, with some exceptions. There are tendencies toward a directly anti-religious state of things (in accordance with alternative number 2). If I am not mistaken, religious symbols have already been banned from schools. Christian intellectuals are scorned by the intellectual 'elites' in government and media. Leaders of the Church of Sweden are basically errandboys (and -girls) for secular politicians. There is no consciental clause that would allow for doctors to refuse to perform abortions. In other words, Sweden is a clear cut case of the state giving directions to religious institutions (insofar as they can, i.e.) rather than the other way around.

Exterminate people with brown eyes
    Last Online
    02-14-2021 @ 12:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dansk
    Country
    Denmark
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

Freedom of/from religion should be applied everywhere.
    State and religion must be separated.
    The state must be neutral.

Which excludes the following:
    Special treatment and endorsement of religion of the government.
    The notion that clergymen have special authority in moral, ethical, and brotherly love.

(I voted 3. but I do not agree with being neutral when it comes to science, how can you? That's not like taking a stand in politics or in a discussion. Science is knowledge, not a belief system. Evidence, not faith).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information