PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Coffee v smoothies: Which is better for you?

Thread: Coffee v smoothies: Which is better for you?

(✿´‿`) ~(˘▾˘~) Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nymph
    Ethnicity
    Dryad
    Country
    Faroes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,889
    Given: 12,843

3 Not allowed!

Default Coffee v smoothies: Which is better for you?

One is made of fruit. The other is caffeinated. So a smoothie is a healthier option than a coffee, right? Don't be so sure, says Michael Mosley, as he weighs the evidence.

Which is healthier - coffee or smoothies?

It seems obvious that the answer must be a smoothie. After all, drinking coffee is a necessary evil while having a smoothie, made from fruit, is part of your five-a-day. But when you look into the scientific studies they reveal something much more surprising. Let's start with coffee.

When scientists collected data on the coffee drinking habits of 130,000 men and women and then followed them for over 20 years they found that coffee is rather a good thing (The Relationship of Coffee Consumption with Mortality, Annals of Internal Medicine, June 2008).

They crunched the numbers and concluded that "regular coffee consumption was not associated with an increased mortality rate in either men or women".

In fact, data from this study suggests that moderate coffee consumption is mildly protective, leading to slightly lower all-cause mortality in coffee drinkers than non-coffee drinkers. Based on this and other studies the most effective "dose" is two to five cups a day. More than that and any benefits drop off. There are hundreds of different substances in coffee, including many different flavonoids (compounds widely found in plants that have antioxidant effects). Which of these ingredients is beneficial, we simply don't know.

When it comes to the brain, however, the answer seems to be "caffeine". In research recently published in the World Journal of Biological Psychiatry (July 2013) they found that people who drank two to four cups of caffeinated coffee a day were half as likely to commit suicide as those who either drank decaff or fewer than two cups a day. This research pulled together data from three studies that had followed more than 200,000 people for more than 14 years, so it's pretty reliable. It is also supported by a number of other studies, which makes this claim even more plausible.

One reason why caffeine may be a mild anti-depressant is that as well as making you more alert, it increases levels of neurotransmitters in the brain, like dopamine and serotonin, that are known to improve mood.

A simple mug of coffee delivers somewhere between zero and 60 calories, depending on whether it is black, white or white with one sugar. Cappuccinos, lattes and mochas contain coffee but they also contain a lot of calories - anything between 100 and 600 - so when it comes to fancy coffees I limit myself to the occasional tall, skinny cappuccino (70 calories).

But what about fruit smoothies?

They may consist of pure fruit but by the time you've got rid of the peel and mashed the fibre then you have already lost many of the potential health benefits. What you are mainly left with is a sugary drink. In a survey published in early 2013, researchers found that out of 52 commercial smoothies, 41 had more sugar than Coca-Cola (a 12oz can contains the equivalent of about nine teaspoons), and all had more calories.

Fruit smoothies are acidic and the bits cling to your teeth, so dentists are not enthusiastic. An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but not when it's been peeled, blended, mashed and packaged.

In a study published in August 2013 in the British Medical Journal (Fruit Consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes) they found that while eating fruit cuts your risk of developing diabetes, drinking it appears to increase the risk.

This was another big study involving lots of people followed for many years. An interesting finding was that different fruits gave different levels of benefit. Three servings of blueberries, for example, cut the risk of diabetes by 26%, while eating apples, pears, bananas and grapefruits also had a positive, albeit much smaller, effect.

Overall those who ate fruit cut their risk of developing diabetes by 2%, while those who drank it (more than three glasses of fruit juice a week) increased their risk by 8%.

More bad news for fruit juice drinkers comes from a case-controlled study done in Western Australia that examined the daily diets of more than 2,000 people. They found that eating some types of fruit and vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and apples) cuts your risk of colorectal cancer, while drinking fruit juice was associated with an increased risk of rectal cancer. Sugary drinks lead to raised levels of the hormone insulin and persistently high levels of insulin are associated with increased risk of some cancers. The researchers point out that many things that protect against bowel cancer, such as antioxidants and fibre, are lost or diminished during the juicing process.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24621394

larali

3 Not allowed!

I don't drink smoothies or juice... too much sugar. I drink coffee like crazy though.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sayian
    Ethnicity
    Makko
    Country
    Bhutan
    Y-DNA
    L2*(L-M22)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,318
    Given: 4,982

0 Not allowed!

Smoothies, I hate the taste of coffee
    Last edited by Pjeter Pan; 10-24-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,956
    Given: 11,667

0 Not allowed!

Café Latte, Wiener Mélange, Cappuccino, Einspänner. I'm more of a coffee lover.

Oi you lots
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Jamaican
    Country
    Jamaica
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,132
    Given: 4,897

3 Not allowed!

Neither, I like hot chocolate. Make me horny as hell.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,956
    Given: 11,667

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dolanski View Post
    Neither, I like hot chocolate. Make me horny as hell.
    Wiener Mélange contains cocao powder.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-24-2013 @ 09:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Bhutan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,332
    Given: 1,058

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by larali View Post
    I don't drink smoothies or juice... too much sugar. I drink coffee like crazy though.
    Same, at least on a regular basis. It's fresh apple cider season right now, and that shit is hard to resist, but I'm managing. I like smoothies just fine, but understand that I should probably just eat some strawberries and/or blueberries to get the nutritional benefits without the massive sugar spike.

larali

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by amerinese View Post
    Same, at least on a regular basis. It's fresh apple cider season right now, and that shit is hard to resist, but I'm managing. I like smoothies just fine, but understand that I should probably just eat some strawberries and/or blueberries to get the nutritional benefits without the massive sugar spike.
    I had gestational diabetes so I got in the habit of avoiding fruit in general. I really only eat bananas as far as fruit goes, and never make smoothies. I was just diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency though so maybe I should partake more often.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-24-2013 @ 09:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Bhutan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,332
    Given: 1,058

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by larali View Post
    I had gestational diabetes so I got in the habit of avoiding fruit in general. I really only eat bananas as far as fruit goes, and never make smoothies. I was just diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency though so maybe I should partake more often.
    My wife and kids eat bananas, but I never really liked them much in the first place. Pretty sure strawberries and blueberries have less sugar per serving, and completely sure that I enjoy them more.

Thread Information