PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
'Primitive' brain recognises edges
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Primitive' brain recognises edges

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,743
    Given: 17,041

4 Not allowed!

Default 'Primitive' brain recognises edges

'Primitive' brain recognises edges

The researchers found the cells in the thalamus, which was previously thought to only pass information from the eyes to the cortex, or new brain.

Scientists at Australia’s Vision Centre (VC) have found a group of rare cells in the human brain that recognise edges – helping us to avoid accidents and recognise everything we use or see in daily life.

To their surprise, they located the cells in the ‘primitive’ brain - the part of our brain that was previously just thought to pass information from the eye to the higher brain, or cortex, to interpret it.

Their discovery has thrown new light on how the vision system of humans and other primates operates – and how we use vision to move around, find food, read, recognise faces and function day-to-day.

Importantly, the knowledge could help develop medical devices for reversing blindness such as the bionic eye, says Professor Paul Martin of The VC and The University of Sydney (USyd).

“Our eyes and brain work together to give us a recognisable world,” Prof. Martin explains. “The eyes send the light signals they detect to the cortex or ‘modern’ brain which is responsible for higher functions like memory, thought and language.”

“Our vision cells respond to different information – some to colour, some to brightness, and now we’ve found the ones that respond to patterns,” Dr Kenny Cheong of The VC and USyd adds. “If you look at your computer screen, you’ll see it has four sides, and each side has an orientation – horizontal or vertical. The cells are sensitive to these ‘sides’.”

What most surprised the researchers was the location of these cells. “We found these cells in the thalamus, which previously was only thought to pass information from the eyes to the cortex,” Dr Cheong says.

“This means that the cortex, or the ‘new’ brain, isn’t the only place that forms an image for us,” says Prof. Martin. “Even in the early stages, there are multiple pathways and signals going into the brain, so it isn’t simply doing a step by step construction of the world.

“While other animals including cats, rabbits, bees and chickens also have edge detecting cells, this is the first study to indicate that primate vision – including human vision – does not all happen in the cortex.”

These cells are also exceedingly rare, Prof. Martin says. “We actually saw them ten years ago, but these were a few cells out of thousands, so we thought that it was a mistake and discarded the data.

“But they cropped up every once in a while, and when we finally put them together, they look much more like cells in the cortex than in the thalamus.”

Dr Cheong says the study provides a better understanding of the visual system, which is crucial for the development of devices or treatments to restore vision.

“People who lose their vision lack the nerve cells that respond to light, which contains information such as colour, brightness and patterns,” he says. “So to develop a device like the bionic eye, we have to replicate the visual system, including these cells, using electronics. This means we must know what cells are present, how they work and what information they send to the brain.”

The study “Cortical-like receptive fields in the lateral geniculate nucleus of marmoset monkeys” by Soon Keen Cheong, Chris Tailby, Samuel G. Solomon and Paul R. Martin was published in The Journal of Neuroscience. Click here to read it.

The Vision Centre is funded by the Australian Research Council as the ARC Centre of Excellence in Vision Science.

Source: http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20132810-24944.html

Banned
    Last Online
    04-24-2015 @ 10:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Durham City
    Hero
    Melonhead the Messiah
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,480
    Given: 1,373

3 Not allowed!

Unfortunately I lack the ability to percieve edges, because I was diagnosed at the age of 6 with edgeblindness. It has a great effect on my day to day life, but I have learned to live with this condition and have made peace with it.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by McCauley View Post
    Unfortunately I lack the ability to percieve edges, because I was diagnosed at the age of 6 with edgeblindness. It has a great effect on my day to day life, but I have learned to live with this condition and have made peace with it.
    Really? What is it like? What do you need to watch out for?

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Durham City
    Hero
    Melonhead the Messiah
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimiera View Post
    I must take special care when ascending or descending stairways, when walking through doors, standing by open windows, sitting down in a chair, and most other daily activities.

To my great benefit I was provided with a specially trained edgeblindessseeingeyedog, Samuel, who I love dearly.

Elder of Zyklon Prisoner Of Ice's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-27-2015 @ 05:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Trondelag
    Religion
    Blond Jesus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,981
    Given: 24,682

0 Not allowed!

For edges obviously. Which must be rough since the world is full of them.
    Out Of Africa Theory is a lie.
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...88#post3431588
    And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I must take special care when ascending or descending stairways, when walking through doors, standing by open windows, sitting down in a chair, and most other daily activities.

To my great benefit I was provided with a specially trained edgeblindessseeingeyedog, Samuel, who I love dearly.
    Thats amazing! I've never heard of edge blindness before.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Durham City
    Hero
    Melonhead the Messiah
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Thats amazing! I've never heard of edge blindness before.
    It is a rare affliction that only recently gained attention in the medical community.

Last Online
    03-18-2014 @ 03:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 527

2 Not allowed!

I think it could be similar to bad eyesight or to the process of learning a new language or to the opposite of autism. If you have a bad eyesight, you can't see the specific pixels of the picture, but you can see and therefore able to understand the picture as a whole, the meaning of the whole picture. When you learn a new language, you can't understand the little differences between words like "fine" and "good", but you already understand the big diifferences between words like "bad" and "good". Autists like to concentrate on a few and specific problems (maybe they have too much of those rare cells?) and they are able to understand the little differences. I think edgeblinds think on a wider spectrum than normal people, therefore they have disadvantage in everyday life, IQ tests,..., and they have advantage in philosophical/abstract thinking, exclusion of noise. I would ask an edgeblind to design the road and would ask an autist to build it.

Last Online
    12-18-2022 @ 11:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanophile
    Ethnicity
    Nordophile
    Ancestry
    Austrian Empire and the Ottoman Empire
    Country
    Slovenia
    Region
    Tirol
    Taxonomy
    Gracilized,Reduced Neotenic Eastern Mediterranid+Alpine-CM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,526
    Given: 257

0 Not allowed!

It is a rare affliction that only recently gained attention in the medical community.
    So what do you see?

Last Online
    03-18-2014 @ 03:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 527

0 Not allowed!

It seems edgeblindness shows a correlation with narrow head and autism shows a correlation with wide head. Wide and narrow heads and higher rate of mutations show correlation with males. McCauley, may I ask do you have extremely narrow head? If yes, I think you should procreate with a wide-headed, like Eastern European (not saying edgeblindness is good or bad).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information