Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: What were your favourite and least favourite subjects in school?

Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Southerner
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Vlach
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Monarchy, Integralism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,848
    Given: 8,001

2 Not allowed!

most fav: history, geography, art lessons, literature
    least fav: chemistry, physics, geometry, algebra - I know the basics of all of them which are enough for my life, but it went too far during the middle school, so I've started ignoring it
    Idleness is the devil's toy

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Finnmark
    Politics
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,612
    Given: 467

1 Not allowed!

Most: history, maybe religion.

Least: chemistry and math. I was mathematically challenged in school, but a work psychologist claimed my math skills were actually decent and that I only had a bad teacher in school. But nevertheless, I always hated math and if you can't enjoy it, you can't learn it.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    mtDNA
    T1a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,082
    Given: 3,222

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vandor View Post
    so I've started ignoring it
    Problem solved!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Southerner
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Monarchy, Integralism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybele View Post
    Problem solved!
    We had 2-5 system back then (2 the worst, dunno why not 1, and 5 the best), teachers used to put me 3 (mentioning it's 2 irl) so I'm passing because they realized I'm not gonna try to be better. I've ignored homework, but the only one who literally hated me for this was math teacher. Teachers generally sympathized me because I've been quite merry, charismatic and polite person for some 14 years old turning everything in a joke with a smile lol. Even those physics and chemistry ones, I had to come to not avoidable additional lessons and was doing everything perfectly, they were like damn, why don't you normally do the same?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    mtDNA
    T1a1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Östsvensk View Post
    I was mathematically challenged in school, but a work psychologist claimed my math skills were actually decent and that I only had a bad teacher in school. But nevertheless, I always hated math and if you can't enjoy it, you can't learn it.
    Yes, the teachers make a lot of difference. Math is not actually not that bad (once it's applied practically, for e.g. in statistics) and it's very useful. But I believe some children are not able to grasp easily some very abstract concepts.
    And if one is stuck in a classroom and has to solve all these algebra and geometry problems, without much practical application, it makes it sort of tedious.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    mtDNA
    T1a1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

We had 2-5 system back then (2 the worst, dunno why not 1, and 5 the best), teachers used to put me 3 (mentioning it's 2 irl) so I'm passing because they realized I'm not gonna try to be better.
    It must of been frustrating for your teachers to see you cold do things perfectly when you wanted, but not really wanted to (despite maybe you had the potential). But is good that they were otherwise quite understanding.
    We had a system with grades from 1-10, starting from middle school. At the end of the year, the arithmetic mean of grades, should have been at least 5, in order to pass the class. I once even received a grade of 2 in math so I had to struggle to keep afloat and get better grades the rest of the semester. Many teachers offered private payed lessons to struggling pupils ( and to prepare them before important final exams). In a sense they were not very tolerant. Because the idea was that, if you were struggling in a subject, you could take private lessons from them, and pass the class.

I've ignored homework, but the only one who literally hated me for this was math teacher. Teachers generally sympathized me because I've been quite merry, charismatic and polite person for some 14 years old turning everything in a joke with a smile lol. Even those physics and chemistry ones, I had to come to not avoidable additional lessons and was doing everything perfectly, they were like damn, why don't you normally do the same?
    Wish I could charm and persuade my teachers too, but I didn't had what it takes. At most, I could make them tolerate the fact I was being late in their class sometimes.
    About homework, we had teachers that would check our notebooks and it was impossible to skip not having a homework. Unless one had a good reason. But what one could do, was to copy the homework from somebody else and just change some details.
    Last edited by Cybele; 08-10-2023 at 08:36 PM.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    mtDNA
    T1a1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

double

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Southerner
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Monarchy, Integralism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybele View Post
    It must of been frustrating for your teachers to see you cold do things perfectly when you wanted, but not really wanted to (despite maybe you had the potential). But is good that they were otherwise quite understanding.
    We had a system with grades from 1-10, starting from middle school. At the end of the year, the arithmetic mean of grades, should have been at least 5, in order to pass the class. I once even received a grade of 2 in math so I had to struggle to keep afloat and get better grades afterwards. Many teachers offered private payed lessons to struggling pupils. In a sense they were not very tolerant. Because the idea was that, if you were struggling in a subject, you could take private lessons from them, and pass the class.

Wish I could charm and persuade my teachers too, but I didn't had what it takes. At most, I could make them tolerate the fact I was being late in their class sometimes.
    About homework, we had teachers that would check our notebooks and it was impossible to skip not having a homework. Unless one had a good reason. But what one could do, was to copy the homework from somebody else and just change some details.
    I was quite independent back then, my father was busy working for two as my mother had health issues, I've been helping, too, so I didn't act like some immature kid, but had some kind of preferences over spending time with something I considered nonsense (at the same time realizing there won't be consequences), my father didn't care much about this, too.

I still have weird dreams about school, like it's again school and some maths lessons and like one more year of study is needed and I'm convincing people around that I've finished school some 20+ years ago Our school had five floors and I dream all of them detailed, like walking by the stairs, entering the classrooms etc.

Last Online
    06-04-2024 @ 08:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balkan taliban
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    J-M92
    Taxonomy
    wog
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 9

1 Not allowed!

Useless:
    geography - terms that you forget the next day unless you're interested and self-studying at home
    painting, music and anything artistic - self-explained
    french - absolutely useless unless you're self learning. Every hour was a pain as I had to make mental connections and take a shot in the dark about how a verb is conjugated based on an example and random guess what words mean.
    english - everyone knows english. USELESS.

Best:

sport - self-explained
    math
    physics
    history

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    mtDNA
    T1a1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I was quite independent back then, my father was busy working for two as my mother had health issues, I've been helping, too, so I didn't act like some immature kid, but had some kind of preferences over spending time with something I considered nonsense (at the same time realizing there won't be consequences), my father didn't care much about this, too.
    It makes sense. That's the thing with school, sometimes external problems, unfortunately do affect the amount of time a child can invest into studying.
    Given the circumstances, prioritizing what was considered the most important, unlike fixating on things that you didn't make much use of later on, was the best choice. Generally a base of knowledge is good, but we barley use all the info accumulated in school later on in life, anyway. There are educational systems, if I'm not mistaken where grades don't exist and this enables a child to just concentrate early on his/ her attention and time into whatever subject he/she enjoys, while still having basic knowledge of a variety of things.
    I had quite understand parents too. When I was getting a bad grade, I preferred to tell my father first. My mother would get mad, but she never beat me up for a bad grade.

I still have weird dreams about school, like it's again school and some maths lessons and like one more year of study is needed and I'm convincing people around that I've finished school some 20+ years ago Our school had five floors and I dream all of them detailed, like walking by the stairs, entering the classrooms etc.
    Sounds like a nightmare haha. And actually I've heard a few people I've interacted with saying similar things about dreaming being again in school, having exams, and so on. Like what's going on?! Maybe just stress, which makes all these memories related to being in school, surface from subconscious. Or a way, in which the brain decides to torture one, during sleep.
    I have similar dream about the school building (studied there for 12 years) sometimes I dream it looks grayer and spookier that it was in reality. Otherwise it's the same place but a bit different with added architectural parts. And I have dialogues with colleagues and so on.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information