Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My (born and raised in Norway) thoughts on Romania after visiting it for four days

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Euro
    Country
    Chad
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R-L48
    mtDNA
    W
    Politics
    Centrist
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10,432/306
    Given: 4,140/87

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    this part made me laugh
    It is quite true though unfortunately. I think that if things get more organized and thorough Romania will make further steps toward better living standards.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 18,131/37
    Given: 18,577/0

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I spent 2 days in Bucharest and 7 in southern Transylvania. I thought Bucharest was fun and it felt very safe compared to American cities of similar size but I was more charmed by Transylvania's stunning nature, castles-fortresses, countryside villages, and its midsize cities like Brasov, Sibiu, Alba Iulia, Sighisoara, etc. I rented a car and drove around so maybe my experience was different. Besides the old trains and the fact people smoke in restaurants, I didn't notice that many rough edges that would impact a tourist. The roads were fine, it was clean, good hospitality, and more than 80% of the people I came in contact with spoke conversational English. Lots of things there work in favor of the westerner.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 27,013/118
    Given: 30,977/22

I spent 2 days in Bucharest and 7 in southern Transylvania. I thought Bucharest was fun and it felt very safe compared to American cities of similar size but I was more charmed by Transylvania's stunning nature, castles-fortresses, countryside villages, and its midsize cities like Brasov, Sibiu, Alba Iulia, Sighisoara, etc. I rented a car and drove around so maybe my experience was different. Besides the old trains and the fact people smoke in restaurants, I didn't notice that many rough edges that would impact a tourist. The roads were fine, it was clean, good hospitality, and more than 80% of the people I came in contact with spoke conversational English. Lots of things there work in favor of the westerner.
    Great that you got to Romania. Did you have a preference towards Romania or Ireland?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up/Down

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Great that you got to Romania. Did you have a preference towards Romania or Ireland?
    Good question. I honestly have no preference as far as tourism as much as that sound like a copout. Ireland is more appealing as a place to live because of similar wages to the US. My time in both countries could not have gone better and they were rewarding in a way I don't think I could find in other countries. I would say the Irish people were the most friendly people I've ever encountered and the ones I connect with best in my travels. It's a place I could actually see myself living if I had the right job there. Romanians are very polite in my experience, a little standoffish with strangers, but ultimately excellent hosts if you stay at a small inn or restaurant owned by them. I think the Transylvanian countryside is endlessly romantic and beautiful much like the Irish countryside and both are better seen by car than train if you want to see more remote rural villages.
    Last edited by Daco Celtic; 06-02-2024 at 04:19 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up/Down

Good question. I honestly have no preference as far as tourism as much as that sound like a copout. Ireland is more appealing as a place to live because of similar wages to the US. My time in both countries could not have gone better and they were rewarding in a way I don't think I could find in other countries. I would say the Irish people were the most friendly people I've ever encountered and the ones I connect with best in my travels. It's a place I could actually see myself living if I had the right job there. Romanians are very polite in my experience, a little standoffish with strangers, but ultimately excellent hosts if you stay at a small inn or restaurant owned by them. I think the Transylvanian countryside is endlessly romantic and beautiful much like the Irish countryside and both are better seen by car than train if you want to see more remote rural villages.
    Excellent answer and very unbiased. I'm sure the Romanian countryside is amazing.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Excellent answer and very unbiased. I'm sure the Romanian countryside is amazing.
    As an American, I was amazed by the complete lack of suburban sprawl and single family homes in Romania. Either the houses were clustered together in a rural village or they had communist block or other apartments outside the historic core of midsize cities where most people live, all very compact. As much as westerners hate this type of living, it results in a well preserved countryside and wilderness as well as walkable cities.

Just Another Palinka Sunrise oszkar07's Avatar
    Last Online
    09-19-2024 @ 02:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Met Most of Dem
    Ethnicity
    Son of a Hun
    Ancestry
    Descended From Demented Men
    Country
    Austria
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H1m
    Taxonomy
    Killer
    Politics
    Philippians 4.13
    Hero
    Jesus
    Religion
    Philippians 4.13
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9,312/53
    Given: 14,388/63

This might be difficult question to answer as Im sure both nations serve up delicious and hearty comfort foods.

Im a meat and potatoes and sausages type of guy so i can imagine both cuisines would suit me just fine.

But can you subjectively say overall if you had any leanings of a preference to the foods you ate in Romania or Ireland.

Overall where did you enjoy the food more, Romania or Ireland ?

No diplomatic fence sitting , Ireland or Romania ... ?
    The DNA of the Hungarian Race Shows that It Is Chosen
    While human DNA has two or three spirals within a given length, the DNA of the Hungarian race has nine ... which is identical to the number of rotations of light from the planet Sirius when it reaches the Earth. The cosmic origin of Hungarian intelligence, the Hungarian soul and the Hungarian minds is a result of this fact

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by oszkar07 View Post
    This might be difficult question to answer as Im sure both nations serve up delicious and hearty comfort foods.

Im a meat and potatoes and sausages type of guy so i can imagine both cuisines would suit me just fine.

But can you subjectively say overall if you had any leanings of a preference to the foods you ate in Romania or Ireland.

Overall where did you enjoy the food more, Romania or Ireland ?
    I have to give the edge to Romania on this one (Grace please forgive me) because my Romanian grandmother was an excellent cook and I often had dinner at their house. I noticed that the typical traditional menu in southern Transylvanian was about 65-70% Romanian dishes and the rest being a mix of Hungarian and German dishes and the American hamburger. Regardless, Romanian, Hungarian, and German food are all heavy on meat so the overall theme is comfort food. Langos are sold everywhere and chimney cake to a lesser degree, even in areas that aren't heavily Hungarian. I have a feeling Romanians do schnitzel better than Germans these days.
    Last edited by Daco Celtic; 06-02-2024 at 05:47 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up/Down

I have to give the edge to Romania on this one (Grace please forgive me) because my Romanian grandmother was an excellent cook and I often had dinner at their house. I noticed that the typical traditional menu in southern Transylvanian was about 65-70% Romanian dishes and the rest being a mix of Hungarian and German dishes and the American hamburger. Regardless, Romanian, Hungarian, and German food are all heavy on meat so the overall theme is comfort food. Langos are sold everywhere and chimney cake to a lesser degree, even in areas that aren't heavily Hungarian. I have a feeling Romanians do schnitzel better than Germans these days.
    I would expect an honest answer. I'm not a meat eater anyway but do like a spud or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information