British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,373
    Given: 1,233

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post
    Yes but usually not at such a disproportionate rate. It hints at a very strong sexual selection for it in males there. Not as much in KPK but stil +2x.
    Which is strange because I've heard that lighter eyes is favoured in women than men . I've even heard that light eyed men ( among pashtuns) is a feminine trait. However, no idea about Punjab .

Last Online
    06-02-2024 @ 08:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ancestry
    Aragonese
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Valencia
    Y-DNA
    I
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 222

1 Not allowed!

Study is a complete farce 1 those levels of light eyes are almost higher than many countries in Southern Europe
    2 I think that almost all of us here know immigrants from India or Pakistan. The question is, has anyone seen anyone with any eye color other than dark brown? At least hazel-brown? I really did, out of hundreds that I saw, maybe only 2- 3 at most, that is, it is more absurd than possible.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Weaner
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-M34
    Taxonomy
    CM + Alpinid + Orientalid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,129
    Given: 2,064

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
    This is what happens when we have pre conceived notions without actually looking into the statistics. If it helps, the majority( 67%) was light brown to dark brown in Punjab. So I'm assuming they looked what they were but a good chunk had colored eyes.
    Other studies involving the classification of eye color based on detailed photographs found a much lower percentage of brown eyes than what would be found with traditional scaled observations. Much of eyes that may appear pure brown have a marginal lighter element if examined closely. A Spanish study (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19551689/) found only 28.3% brown eyes and a high 55.2% hazel-green. Even in the Catalan Pyrenees valleys under Santiago Alcobé pure brown eyes did not reach nearly this low. The deviation from previous scaled data is likely explained by near pure brown eyes being counted as dark hazel. Similar borderline shades may have also been counted as intermediate instead of pure brown here.

As for the blue in this study, it clearly included light mixed eyes as category B based on the example photographs. The 15% may thus be similar to 1a - 6 on the Martin-Schultz scale in which case is about twice that found in Kāfiristān in the Albert Herrlich study. Nuristanis being darker eyed than Punjabis in particular seems quite odd. Perhaps predominantly dark blue-brown eyes were counted differently.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,023
    Given: 6,105

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melkiirs View Post
    Other studies involving the classification of eye color based on detailed photographs found a much lower percentage of brown eyes than what would be found with traditional scaled observations. Much of eyes that may appear pure brown have a marginal lighter element if examined closely. A Spanish study (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19551689/) found only 28.3% brown eyes and a high 55.2% hazel-green. Even in the Catalan Pyrenees valleys under Santiago Alcobé pure brown eyes did not reach nearly this low. The deviation from previous scaled data is likely explained by near pure brown eyes being counted as dark hazel. Similar borderline shades may have also been counted as intermediate instead of pure brown here.

As for the blue in this study, it clearly included light mixed eyes as category B based on the example photographs. The 15% may thus be similar to 1a - 6 on the Martin-Schultz scale in which case is about twice that found in Kāfiristān in the Albert Herrlich study. Nuristanis being darker eyed than Punjabis in particular seems quite odd. Perhaps predominantly dark blue-brown eyes were counted differently.
    I suspect a lot of the B on the verge here would be classified as intermediate elsewhere and not blue. I think this is what happens when you have to put things in a few boxes instead of relying on purely scaled datas with spectro and such.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ancestry
    Aragonese
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Valencia
    Y-DNA
    I
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I read this study and the intake was only 200 people, maybe that's why it is so low. In addition, they have also included light brown eyes, the real percentage would probably have to be higher.
    Regarding the Punjabi study, it is completely impossible for obvious reasons that study would have some non-scientific reason, almost certainly because most people did not know any person of South Asian origin with eyes other than brown.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Even light mixed would be much higher than what I thought for Punjabis, so even then it's still a mystery.

The categories were mentioned , even intermediate was labeled as green/hazel which we can all agree on, however light brown was categorised as brown.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,579
    Given: 5,969

0 Not allowed!

Even light mixed would be much higher than what I thought for Punjabis, so even then it's still a mystery.

The categories were mentioned , even intermediate was labeled as green/hazel which we can all agree on, however light brown was categorised as brown.
    I have known quite a few Punjabis, light eyes are not that uncommon and i worked with a fella who had blue-green eyes, i think Sikhs especially are quite distinct from other Indians and light eyes are not rare.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Valenman View Post
    I read this study and the intake was only 200 people, maybe that's why it is so low. In addition, they have also included light brown eyes, the real percentage would probably have to be higher.
    Regarding the Punjabi study, it is completely impossible for obvious reasons that study would have some non-scientific reason, almost certainly because most people did not know any person of South Asian origin with eyes other than brown.
    Possibly the category for blue and light mixed have overlapped, and possibly the category for intermediate has overlapped with brown, another study focusing on Pashtuns from Swat district in KPK was Alot stricter when categorising "blue". For instance only 3 iris down below was classified as blue, the others were either brown ( like the first one ) and intermediate. Sample size was 267 individuals, blue was 9.4% and intermediate was 15%.

https://www.als-journal.com/739-20/

Another study looked at Malakand division in KPK, and again out of 150 Individuals, 39 had intermediate/blue. So 26%.

https://www.mdpi.com/article/10.3390...nes11041228/s1
    Last edited by Avicenna; 05-22-2024 at 04:26 PM.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ancestry
    Aragonese
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Valencia
    Y-DNA
    I
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Possibly the category for blue and light mixed have overlapped, and possibly the category for intermediate has overlapped with brown, another study focusing on Pashtuns from Swat district in KPK was Alot stricter when categorising "blue". For instance only 3 iris down below was classified as blue, the others were either brown ( like the first one ) and intermediate. Sample size was 267 individuals, blue was 9.4% and intermediate was 15%.

https://www.als-journal.com/739-20/

Another study looked at Malakand division in KPK, and again out of 150 Individuals, 39 had intermediate/blue. So 26% .

https://www.mdpi.com/article/10.3390...nes11041228/s1
    I had already read the second study before, and this one seems more real to me, since they only catch people in a certain mountainous area in the North of Pakistan where I do believe that there could be high percentages of people with light eyes, as it happens in the Kalash and many other isolated populations around the world

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Valenman View Post
    I had already read the second study before, and this one seems more real to me, since they only catch people in a certain mountainous area in the North of Pakistan where I do believe that there could be high percentages of people with light eyes, as it happens in the Kalash and many other isolated populations around the world
    The study did not mention Kalash, Malakand division includes a number of district's, of which one district, Chitral, contains Kalashas and Khowars ( isolated extreme northern non pashtuns), and out of 20 individuals only one had intermediate eye colour. For comparison, Swat, which is predominantly pashtun and a more cosmopolitan region had 11 out of 20. Overall average was 26% though.

Point of the info above is that Pashtuns are not a isolated people, however in that study it was significantly more common among them than Chitral district, which is predominantly Khowars, who are more isolated .

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information