British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,373
    Given: 1,233

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Not really for some reason the said that C color is "green or light brown/green/hazel". So they counted light brown as what?

I think that means light brown+ hazel+ green , because they mentioned light to dark brown as D.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Colonial Virginia + Central and Eastern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Mississippi
    Politics
    Nullifier
    Hero
    John C. Calhoun
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,159
    Given: 11,143

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    15% blue eyes in Punjab??? That is the same level as Turkey! Just LOL.
    Those numbers can't be accurate. Coon wrote that The highest proportion of mixed and light eyes reported in Indians as a whole is 12 percent, found in one caste in Maratha. So no way that 15% of Punjabis have real blue eyes.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Those numbers can't be accurate. Coon wrote that The highest proportion of mixed and light eyes reported in Indians as a whole is 12 percent, found in one caste in Maratha. So no way that 15% of Punjabis have real blue eyes.
    I have no problem with people disagreeing with the study, however there has to be a valid reason to discredit this specific academic study. For instance , they have made it clear which eye colours goes with which category as mentioned below :

"1: blue (equivalent to 1 and 2 in Fitzpatrick classification); 2: intermediate (equivalent to 3 in Fitzpatrick classification) where intermediate is combination of green, blue/green, brown/green pigments and 3: brown (equivalent to 4 and 5 in Fitzpatrick classification)."

They also mentioned this ;

"Eye and skin digital images were independently inspected by two different investigators under uniform environmental conditions. In order to avoid discrepancies, a further detailed analysis of all photographs was performed until consensus assignment of phenotype took place."

With all due respect, using Coon as the criterion against this study is quite distasteful. If anything we can use the studies aforementioned by myself.

Again, I'm not saying that people can't disagree, however there has to be a legit reason to discredit the study. Is there fault in the study? Etc

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Colonial Virginia + Central and Eastern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Mississippi
    Politics
    Nullifier
    Hero
    John C. Calhoun
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,159
    Given: 11,143

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
    I have no problem with people disagreeing with the study, however there has to be a valid reason to discredit this specific academic study. For instance , they have made it clear which eye colours goes with which category as mentioned below :

"1: blue (equivalent to 1 and 2 in Fitzpatrick classification); 2: intermediate (equivalent to 3 in Fitzpatrick classification) where intermediate is combination of green, blue/green, brown/green pigments and 3: brown (equivalent to 4 and 5 in Fitzpatrick classification)."

They also mentioned this ;

"Eye and skin digital images were independently inspected by two different investigators under uniform environmental conditions. In order to avoid discrepancies, a further detailed analysis of all photographs was performed until consensus assignment of phenotype took place."

With all due respect, using Coon as the criterion against this study is quite distasteful. If anything we can use the studies aforementioned by myself.
    I trust Coon's numbers more than these. I've never seen an Indian without dark brown eyes in person, so to suggest that over 50% of Indians are in fact mixed and light eyed and only 47% are brown eyed seems ridiculous.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Weaner
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-M34
    Taxonomy
    CM + Alpinid + Orientalid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,141
    Given: 2,078

0 Not allowed!

I trust Coon's numbers more than these. I've never seen an Indian without dark brown eyes in person, so to suggest that over 50% of Indians are in fact mixed and light eyed and only 47% are brown eyed seems ridiculous.
    What ethnicity are the South Asians who encounter in Virginia? Are you sure they are also Punjabi?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

The study is about Punjab Pakistan, not Indians. Majority of Indians in USA are no where near punjabis in Pakistan.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melkiirs View Post
    What ethnicity are the South Asians who encounter in Virginia? Are you sure they are also Punjabi?
    Do you think emailing the authors would be beneficial? Maybe they could clarify the intermediate category or release the photos for each iris? I found the full dataset in excel format for the participants but no photographs .

Last Online
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Bangla
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 153

1 Not allowed!

tbh 15% is way too high even if it was a combination of green/blue and all that in one category. I'd believe it if was small, isolated and super closed off communities but as a whole no way.

Full disclosure I actually do know one Pakistani Punjabi guy personally who has green eyes but I know a ton of Punjabi Pakistanis and I'm going to be real as a whole there's no way 15% of them even have green eyes much less blue. Many of my childhood friends and acquaintances themselves are of this background so I've had a ton of exposure and I know.

I think the methodology in this study is faulty because it really doesn't add up for any of these groups really.
    Last edited by Ketchup; 05-23-2024 at 02:01 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French Alpinoide
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    France
    Y-DNA
    R-Z17
    mtDNA
    U2
    Taxonomy
    French Alpinoide
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,309
    Given: 1,210

1 Not allowed!

C is medium beige skin, not "light brown", the fuck.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    East Slavic, East Latin, Turko-Mongol
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Europe as confederation
    Religion
    irreligious
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,646
    Given: 32,059

1 Not allowed!

I see some keep on mentioning the Indians they see in their countries to compare with, but Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is not South Asian, it's southcentral Asian, bordering northern Afghanistan and Tajikistan.

btw, seeing travel vlogs from the area and from Gilgit-Baltistan I am not surprised by the findings of the study in the OP regarding Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. then about Punjab I don't know at the moment, I didn't look at that area at all but I've seen even dark(er) skinned NW Indians with blue and hazel eyes in some documentaries

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information