PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Latin. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latin.

Parcere subiectis, debellare superbos. gıulıoımpa's Avatar
    Last Online
    10-02-2023 @ 09:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Italic
    Ethnicity
    Italian(50% Campania-25% Piedmont 25% Ciociaria/m.lepini), plot slightly West of Abruzzo (x534 y390)
    Ancestry
    3/4 Southern Italy+ 1/4 Northwestern Italy
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Lazio
    Y-DNA
    J-L26 -(J2a1 ------> J-PF5197)
    mtDNA
    H5'36
    Taxonomy
    Med(Berid-like)+Dinaric .Skull shape similar to:Sutz eneolithic skull
    Politics
    Pragmatism should prevail. I pick the better fruits from left and right. Issues must be faced.
    Hero
    Every intellectually honest person. I'll be precise with people who act precisely.
    Religion
    Agnostic. I appreciate some aspects of religion(s) .I despise others and who feels entitled by them
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,377
    Given: 3,153

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagos View Post
    Caesar imperat ut... Caesar, Caesar, and more Caesar... When everything is going OK, of course
    but the best thing is that he speaks of himself in third person!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Online
    10-20-2020 @ 10:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sardinian
    Ethnicity
    Sardinian
    Ancestry
    North Western Sardinia
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Sardinia
    Hero
    Leonidas of Sparta, Constantine XI, Hampsicoras of Cornus (Sardinian Hero)
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,656
    Given: 332

1 Not allowed!

at school, not much though, just the basics, might traduce simple stuff

is not that difficult, in fact I found it quite easy, I guess that knwoing spanish quite helps, is the most similiar lenguage to latin that remains (no, italian isn't it)

pd: was my favourite subject
    No creo qui s'Hispagnolu sìet sa limba piùs simile a su Latinu, pro sos istudiosos, in tota sa familia Romanza su Sardu est sa limba piùs simile a su Latinu Vulgare, e segundu s'Italianu, ma a distantzia meda dae su Sardu, qui resultat essere meda piùs arcaicu si lu cunfrontamus cun s'Italianu, sìet in fattu de vocabulariu e sìet in fattu de istruttura de sa limba, pro custu fattu de seguru podimus ringraziare s'isulamentu geograficu de sa Sardigna dae su continente, qui essende isulada pro seculos e seculos dae su continente hat isviluppadu una limba sua unica in su panorama de sa familia Romanza.

Saludos dae Sardigna, nos intendimus!
    Non Auro, Sed Ferro, Recuperanda Est Patria (Not by Gold, But by Iron, Is the Nation to be Recovered) - Marcus Furius Camillus (Roman General)

Banned
    Last Online
    12-08-2018 @ 06:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Oğuz / Turcoman
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,722
    Given: 1,300

0 Not allowed!

I would have like to learn old Latin at school. That's very important to understand European (actual Europe, I mean West, not Greece ) history. Many Ottoman monarchs could speak Latin.

Last Online
    09-11-2023 @ 06:32 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Iberian master race
    Ancestry
    Southern Spain
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Catalunya
    Politics
    To re-establish the Spanish Empire
    Hero
    Grecoroman and Cristiano Viejo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 963
    Given: 663

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mens-Sarda View Post
    No creo qui s'Hispagnolu sìet sa limba piùs simile a su Latinu, pro sos istudiosos, in tota sa familia Romanza su Sardu est sa limba piùs simile a su Latinu Vulgare, e segundu s'Italianu, ma a distantzia meda dae su Sardu, qui resultat essere meda piùs arcaicu si lu cunfrontamus cun s'Italianu, sìet in fattu de vocabulariu e sìet in fattu de istruttura de sa limba, pro custu fattu de seguru podimus ringraziare s'isulamentu geograficu de sa Sardigna dae su continente, qui essende isulada pro seculos e seculos dae su continente hat isviluppadu una limba sua unica in su panorama de sa familia Romanza.

Saludos dae Sardigna, nos intendimus!
    Well, is really a complex issue. It dependes from what perspective you analyse it, corsican sure it retains better the original vowels timbres. But Hispania was a really early conquered territory and suffered a huge influence of latin's world, and because of that it still retains a huge quantity of latin's arcaisms that dissapeared in many other regions.

Salluti dalla Spagna!
    España mi natura, Italia mi ventura, Flandes mi sepultura.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    see females are hypocrites they think im not allowed to say that females are hot, but they love hot guys. some females harassed longbowman eventhough he has or had a girlfriend and was clearly not interested. you didnt but i remember it that some did.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,956
    Given: 11,667

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bosniensis View Post
    No one can. We don't know how it was pronounced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seya View Post
    we don't know for sure but we can take a guess considering the other romance languages
    And especially non-Romance languages like Greek, Germanic languages and Semitic languages. Loanwords often conserve older pronunciations of words.

sszorin
    3 jaar geleden
    Your Latin is wrong. Letter C is not pronounced K all the time

sszorin about to get schooled

Ancient Semitic
    3 jaar geleden
    1. Even languages with uninterrupted descent change. After all, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian all uninterruptedly descended from Classical Latin. Still thei all have their pecularities. And also dead languages like Latin, Hebrew or Coptic are not immune against linguistic developments, especially in pronunciation. How else would you explain, that the traditional pronunciation of Latin differs in every country. Same with Biblical Hebrew?

2. If Latin C was pronounced differently before front vowels, how do you explain, that C often echoed as /k/ in Latin words borrowed into other languages?
    Why was "caesar" borrowed into German as "Kaiser" (Old High German "keisar") and not "Zaiser"? Why "cellarium als "Keller" and not "Zeller"?
    Why was "caesar" borrowed into Arabic as "qaysar" and not "shaysar", "itshaysar" or "jaysar"?
    Why was "centurio" borrowed into Greek as "κεντυρίων" and not "τσεντυρίων"?
    Did the whole world attempt to falsify the Latin language? If so, why?

3. Apparently Latin C corresponds to K in other Indo-European Centum languages (e.g. Latin "centum", Celtic "*kantom", Greek "ἑκατόν", Tocharian "känt/kante"). So at some point of Latin linguistic history, the k-sound must have changed to what you say the C was pronounced like in Latin. When? In the Old Latin period? Or even before? In Proto-Italic?

4. If the C represented two different sounds, why did the Romans not use two different letters?

5. Why did Quintilian write this in his Institutio oratoria in the 1st century CE:
    "Nam K quidem in nullis verbis utendum puto nisi quae significat etiam ut sola ponatur. Hoc eo non omisi quod quidam eam quotiens A sequatur necessariam credunt, cum sit C littera, quae ad omnis vocalis uim suam perferat."
    So either the C was pronounced the same with all vowels still in the 1st century... or even some Roman grammarians were "lunatics" who tried to spread false information on Latin pronunciation?
    But yes, we know fairly well how it was pronounced as Quintilian explicitly described Latin phonology as a Roman in the 1st century AD.
    It's a guess however that Latin had a nasal pronunciation in the accusative -um and -am declensions and nominative neuter ones. The reader of the YT channel seems to assume it was like that as many Latinists apparently do.
    Last edited by Dandelion; 08-05-2018 at 01:05 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,295
    Given: 26,310

0 Not allowed!

No.

I'm a Protestant Anglo-American, why would I speak a long dead language associated with the Catholic church?

Last Online
    09-21-2023 @ 10:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Sao Paulo
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 369

0 Not allowed!

I know the basics.

Last Online
    10-20-2020 @ 10:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sardinian
    Ethnicity
    Sardinian
    Ancestry
    North Western Sardinia
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Sardinia
    Hero
    Leonidas of Sparta, Constantine XI, Hampsicoras of Cornus (Sardinian Hero)
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,656
    Given: 332

0 Not allowed!

Well, is really a complex issue. It dependes from what perspective you analyse it, corsican sure it retains better the original vowels timbres. But Hispania was a really early conquered territory and suffered a huge influence of latin's world, and because of that it still retains a huge quantity of latin's arcaisms that dissapeared in many other regions.

Salluti dalla Spagna!
    I we analyze the issue looking the language structure and vocabulary, surely Sardinian is the closest to Latin of all Romance languages, we also keep the classical pronunciation of C = K.
    Sardinia was conquered more or less in the same epoch of Hispania, but Latin language arrived in the inner and rebel areas of the island after centuries, this and the geographical isolation of Sardinia that kept Sardinia untouched from the barbarian invasions made that the language is less evolved, closer to Vulgar Latin, and not influenced by other languages.

Some Sardinian archaic vocabulary examples, compared with Italian and Corsican :
    Spoiler!
    Non Auro, Sed Ferro, Recuperanda Est Patria (Not by Gold, But by Iron, Is the Nation to be Recovered) - Marcus Furius Camillus (Roman General)

Last Online
    04-06-2024 @ 03:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Piemonte
    Y-DNA
    I-L801
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 950
    Given: 400

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Martnen View Post
    No.

I'm a Protestant Anglo-American, why would I speak a long dead language associated with the Catholic church?
    Non enim tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information