Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TA adults and sell sufficients: What is it like to live without your parents?

Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 09:33 PM
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Santa Catarina
    Y-DNA
    E-M81 (E1b1b1b)
    mtDNA
    K1a
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,529
    Given: 1,986

1 Not allowed!

Default TA adults and sell sufficients: What is it like to live without your parents?

This question is one of my biggest trepidations. Recently, I have thought about how I will face this moment of my life. Obviously, there is up and downs. You can make parties whenever you want; you want make your hause your mind's reflection. But, our parents are our truest friends. Tell me your experiences about your first years living without them.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,531
    Given: 24,991

1 Not allowed!

I moved out at 25 years old. I had established my career at that point, and I was in a saving money phase. I met a young woman and I REALLY liked her, that just inspired me to get my own place. It was not like I even had a second thought, it was time to go. It was pure awesomeness. Good luck!

Banned
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 09:55 AM
    Country
    Jamaica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,667
    Given: 5,726

2 Not allowed!

I moved out at 19 and got used to it pretty quickly. It's not a big deal to be honest.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Santa Catarina
    Y-DNA
    E-M81 (E1b1b1b)
    mtDNA
    K1a
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I moved out at 25 years old. I had established my career at that point, and I was in a saving money phase. I met a young woman and I REALLY liked her, that just inspired me to get my own place. It was not like I even had a second thought, it was time to go. It was pure awesomeness. Good luck!
    What about cleaning, cooking? How was your adaptation? I have some friends asking me to move out to a bedroom near of my university. I think it would be great to me improve my self sufficiency, but I've fear.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 09:55 AM
    Country
    Jamaica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,667
    Given: 5,726

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Catarinense1998 View Post
    What about cleaning, cooking? How was your adaptation? I have some friends asking me to move out to a bedroom near of my university. I think it would be great to me improve my self sufficiency, but I've fear.
    I personally think it's good to live alone, you'll develop more on a personal level. Cleaning and cooking is no problem because you're forced to figure it out (and it's not complicated, you just have to get used to it). Only after the first year of living alone I personally felt like the same person but many people around me told me that I had gotten a more adult presence or behavior. Also, if you're unsure about something you could always just call your parents and ask for advice, it's not like you're moving to another planet.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I'm a bit of a clean freak and I didn't mind cleaning, my only issue was that my roommate was a slob. Two things come to mind. First, in his home his mother always cleaned up after him, so he had some bad habits. One was that he never completely finished eating anything (yogurt, breakfast cereal for example) and whatever he did not finish got dumped in the sink. He never scraped anything into the garbage, it made for a very nasty sink. Also, he was hairy as hell and his body hair was black and wiry, looked like long insect legs. After he showered there were so many black hairs on our white tile, if you walked in they would stick all over your feet.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Santa Catarina
    Y-DNA
    E-M81 (E1b1b1b)
    mtDNA
    K1a
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    I personally think it's good to live alone, you'll develop more on a personal level. Cleaning and cooking is no problem because you're forced to figure it out (and it's not complicated, you just have to get used to it). Only after the first year of living alone I personally felt like the same person but many people around me told me that I had gotten a more adult presence or behavior. Also, if you're unsure about something you could always just call your parents and ask for advice, it's not like you're moving to another planet.
    Reading your statement, I did realize that probably I make these challenges too hard to myself. I think that we shouldn't ask our parents for help, because we need to learn how to take care ourselves. It is as a personal challenge I guess. It's good to see that you got to overcome this transition easily.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,944
    Given: 45,034

4 Not allowed!

We are all different in this regard -- some are closer to their parents than others. For example, I wasn't very close to my mother (father had died when I was young), but my younger brother was. And, he is still living with her... and he is now 43 years old! I, on the other hand, preferred my independence, and moved out as soon as I got a job after school, and could afford my own rented accommodation. So I moved out about mid-twenties, I think 23 or 25.

It's a challenge for any young person, but it's a necessary step for you to take. It will broaden your horizons and perspectives... and make you stronger on the inside as a person. I can really recommend moving out as soon as you can... if you can afford it. Nowadays accommodation is quite expensive for school leavers, hence many stay with their parents for a long time, even after they started working. But I think proving (to yourself) your independence, and practising your life skills in that way is very important and will help you further in life. Just do it!
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

As for cooking. I kept it simple man. Breakfast: fruit, cereal, frozen waffles, eggs - if I had time. Lunch, if I prepped it was usually a sandwich, turkey something like that. If not I grabbed something out. Dinner: burgers, chicken, potatoes, vegetables, beans, salads. I went food shopping once a week, I'm no cook so I kept it simple. I tried to pick healthy things that were quick and easy to prepare or were pre-prepared. I also drank a lot of whey protein shakes.
    Last edited by Mr.G; 04-16-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Santa Catarina
    Y-DNA
    E-M81 (E1b1b1b)
    mtDNA
    K1a
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    We are all different in this regard -- some are closer to their parents than others. For example, I wasn't very close to my mother (father had died when I was young), but my younger brother was. And, he is still living with her... and he is now 43 years old! I, on the other hand, preferred my independence, and moved out as soon as I got a job after school, and could afford my own rented accommodation. So I moved out about mid-twenties, I think 23 or 25.

It's a challenge for any young person, but it's a necessary step for you to take. It will broaden your horizons and perspectives... and make you stronger on the inside as a person. I can really recommend moving out as soon as you can... if you can afford it. Nowadays accommodation is quite expensive for school leavers, hence many stay with their parents for a long time, even after they started working. But I think proving (to yourself) your independence, and practising your life skills in that way is very important and will help you further in life. Just do it!
    Unfortunely, my parents have always done everything for me. It is good, but in other hand, it created a dependency loop between me and them. I'll split the rent with my friends, so it is not a big deal. Your comment gave me a lot of optimism. Thank you. I'll talk with my parents about this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information