Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Portugal not a Mediterranean country?

Last Online
    02-26-2024 @ 05:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Latin
    Ethnicity
    Puerto Rican
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 60

0 Not allowed!

Default Portugal not a Mediterranean country?

It's true that Portugal geographically isn't part of the Med region. It is an Atlantic nation.

However, I keep reading on the Internet (not here in TheApricity though) that a lot of Portuguese people always defend their 'Atlantic-ness' and that they are not Southern or Mediterranean at all culturally.

I even know a Portuguese guy who believes that Portugal is more similar to Ireland, the UK and Western France than to Italy, Spain and Greece. WTF?!

Portugal is only geographically not Mediterranean, but what about their climate, their genetics and overall lifestyle?

Alexandro

2 Not allowed!

I have always considered the Portuguese like brothers to Spaniards, and Spain (despite what some complexed people on here believe) is a med country.

Portugal is not literally on the Mediterranean, but culturally they are very much so and at least any Portuguese person I have known always identifies more with other southern Euro countries versus France or UK (even though their bond with them is a lot stronger compared to what Spain has due to historical reasons, allies since the late 1300s or so, well except for those sixty or so Iberian Union years when Portugal and their overseas possessions were ruled by the Spanish Habsburgs, but don't mention that time period to Portuguese, lollll).

Banned
    Last Online
    01-16-2022 @ 01:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West European/Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ancestry
    Spain (La Mancha region)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    T-CTS8402
    mtDNA
    T2b-16296C!
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Mediterranid
    Religion
    Atheist
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 557
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianAlex View Post
    I have always considered the Portuguese like brothers to Spaniards, and Spain (despite what some complexed people on here believe) is a med country.

Portugal is not literally on the Mediterranean, but culturally they are very much so and at least any Portuguese person I have known always identifies more with other southern Euro countries versus France or UK (even though their bond with them is a lot stronger compared to what Spain has due to historical reasons, allies since the late 1300s or so, well except for those sixty or so Iberian Union years when Portugal and their overseas possessions were ruled by the Spanish Habsburgs, but don't mention that time period to Portuguese, lollll).
    And "Spanish Hapsburghs" is, itself, a bit of an oxymoron -- almost, but not quite as bad as they tradition of thinking of the "reyes godos" as Spain's last kings before the Muslim conquest, when "Rodrigo" (as he was idealistically Hispanized during the Reconquest) himself was still a foreign invader, "Roderik", even on his coins.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-12-2022 @ 11:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Silves + Portimão + Ferragudo, Portugal
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-Z225
    mtDNA
    H1c3
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,076
    Given: 6,670

4 Not allowed!

Geographically we are not "Mediterranean" as we aren't on the Mediterranean sea... but that doesn't mean we aren't culturally, and genetically med-like, we are very much so! Also being on the Atlantic doesn't mean we are like the Irish, or Scottish lol- fuck that theory. We are closest to our Mediterranean brothers Spain, and cousins Italy and Greece.

Alexandro

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fraisod View Post
    And "Spanish Hapsburghs" is, itself, a bit of an oxymoron -- almost, but not quite as bad as they tradition of thinking of the "reyes godos" as Spain's last kings before the Muslim conquest, when "Rodrigo" (as he was idealistically Hispanized during the Reconquest) himself was still a foreign invader, "Roderik", even on his coins.
    Yeah, that's very true, Habsburgs were a bunch of inbred Germans

Banned
    Last Online
    01-16-2022 @ 01:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West European/Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ancestry
    Spain (La Mancha region)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    T-CTS8402
    mtDNA
    T2b-16296C!
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Mediterranid
    Religion
    Atheist
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 557
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianAlex View Post

** Regardless of labels like "Mediterranean", "West European" & South European", I would always consider Portuguese, Italians, and then the French, to be the nearest to Spaniards, culturally and ethnically in that order.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-12-2022 @ 11:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Silves + Portimão + Ferragudo, Portugal
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-Z225
    mtDNA
    H1c3
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,076
    Given: 6,670

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fraisod View Post
    ** Regardless of labels like "Mediterranean", "West European" & South European", I would always consider Portuguese, Italians, and then the French, to be the nearest to Spaniards, culturally and ethnically in that order.
    Yes, agreed. I feel closest to Spaniards, then Italians and Greeks. After that Idk maybe Zimbabwe.
    Last edited by Luso; 12-07-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Alexandro

2 Not allowed!

I feel closest to Equatorial Guinea and Angola.

Haha, nah, but seriously I feel closest to Portugal and then Italy, maybe Greece just for similar ish culture, even though they are not latin. French are Romance peoples but I always felt like they were the weird half brother or something, they have a lot of Germanic influence in comparison.

Last Online
    03-30-2021 @ 12:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,595
    Given: 1,261

2 Not allowed!

Portugal's Mediterraneaness is like Cyprus' Southern Europeaness, technically it's not part of it (in geographical terms), but we all know the strong cultural and genetic ties.

About the Portuguese guy, some people are just like that, I know a ton of Brazilians who don't accept being called Latinos too, it's their right to identify as whatever they want, but it doesn't mean they're correct about our country.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Peloponnese
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,452
    Given: 7,901

1 Not allowed!

Portugal might not be Mediterranean geographically, but culturally and ethnographically it is. I feel pretty close to Portuguese for example, because we have similar mentality and to an extent, culture.
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information