View Poll Results: As a whole, do Romanians and Bulgarians pass better in Denmark or Armenia

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Denmark

14 38.89%
  • Armenia

21 58.33%
  • Both in equal measure

1 2.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: As a whole, do Romanians and Bulgarians pass better in Denmark or Armenia?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 09:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,780

2 Not allowed!

Default As a whole, do Romanians and Bulgarians pass better in Denmark or Armenia?

Imo compared to how much both this forum and other anthrofora make a fuss about the putative darkness and exoticness of Greeks, Italians and Iberians, the darkness and exoticness of many Balkan people is largely overlooked. In fact, many Romanians and Bulgarians have a pan-Black Sea look and fit quite well in the Caucasus - certainly more than in any Germanic country, at any rate.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,998
    Given: 1,604

0 Not allowed!

The Romanians and Bulgarians are not so fancy, thanks God!!!
    Otherwise, there would have been million of threads by Sikeliot, weather they are closer to Turks or Greeks or Russians or are are they more western or eastern looking and things like that...

Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,225

0 Not allowed!

Banned
    Last Online
    04-08-2021 @ 12:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    --
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,463
    Given: 12,450

0 Not allowed!

Neither. But about facial features, i would say Denmark.

Last Online
    06-26-2018 @ 10:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mediterranean, Balkan, Romance, Thracian, Indo-European, Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Romanian, Vlach
    Ancestry
    Southeastern Europe
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Wallachia
    Y-DNA
    R-L23
    mtDNA
    X2b
    Taxonomy
    Med, Pontid, or Atlanto-Med, with some Alpine
    Politics
    no thanks
    Religion
    Something between agnostic and deist maybe
    Relationship Status
    It's complicated
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 89

0 Not allowed!

This supposed to be a troll thread? In the case in northern/northwestern Romanians certainly Denmark without a doubt.

As for the south/southeast regions.. well, neither. It's hard to say. Some individuals may swing one way or the other but probably still more with other Europeans. I'd say out of any Caucasus people Georgians are the closest in similarity to the East Balkans if you really had to pick one, and even they are rather distant/different. Armenians even more so overall, as they can overlap with Iranians.

That being said there are a surprising amount of quite European Armenians I've encountered.

I don't know about Bulgarians, I'd think more or less the same applied. I think they may lean slightly more toward the area, particularly Georgians, from what I seen.

Edit- after looking up more pics of Armenians in crowds, they look rather different or foreign... here are ones that are particularly so. There were a few in other pics that were not as much

Spoiler!

not to mention Kim Kardashian

There was a small minority of Armenians who were active as traders/merchants in Romania in the past I believe, and they were mostly seen as distinct, often lumped into the same category as Jews, rightfully or not.

And no offense meant to anyone but I think some of them may even be taken as Roma in the Balkans.

The more "woggy" elements in the east Balkans, for lack of a better word, don't strike me as West Asian/Caucasus-like as much as like Greek/south Euro. We don't really have Armenoids, Asian Alpinids, Mtebids, Iranids, Anatolids, Cappadocids, or what not. And true East Meds aren't as common as Pontids. Plus Armenia doesn't touch the Black Sea so I don't think it offers the best comparison... Though I get the point of this was to be extreme
    Last edited by ovidiu; 04-10-2018 at 02:07 AM.
    The worst potential competition for any organism can come from its own kind. The species consumes necessities. Growth is limited by that necessity which is present in the least amount. The least favorable condition controls the rate of growth.

Memory never recaptures reality. Memory reconstructs. All reconstructions change the original, becoming external frames of reference that inevitably fall short.

Historians exercise great power and some of them know it. They recreate the past, changing it to fit their own interpretations. Thus, they change the future as well.

Those who would repeat the past must control the teaching of history.

Last Online
    03-02-2021 @ 10:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Dalofaelid with Corded Nordid influences
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,666
    Given: 13,081

2 Not allowed!

Danish people:

Armenians:

You don't need to be an expert or to have travelled a lot to know that on group level both Bulgarians and Romanians resemble neither of the groups you mention in your poll.
    However, the so-called pan-Black Sea look you rate is actually due to the rare existence of Balkan and Mediterranean types in Caucasus, not the opposite. Armenoids don't exist in Bulgaria. Armenians in particular, I must say, are among the least Europoid people of the Caucasus. Usually to me they look either similar to Jews of the Middle East or to our local Gypsies.
    Georgians have much more people passable in Balkans although they largely differ from us.
    Turks have absorbed the most Balkan looks due to slave trading (ever heard the word enichari?) during the time of the Ottoman Empire. And I really don't like terms like "light Bulgarians", "light Balkanites", etc., as if we are some borderline Europeans or extremely dark people.
    I will quote and translate some data about researches on Bulgarian people:
    "Според статистика от 20 век, българите са между 9-12% от рус тип, 42–47% от тъмен тип, а 43–46% са междинен (светлокоси и тъмнооки или обратното)."
    "Генетично, днешните българи са по-тясно свързани със някои балкански популации (македонци, сърби, румънци, черногорци), отколкото с останалите европейци. Според автозомни анализи, съседните гърци имат по-голяма генетическа дистанция спрямо българите, отколкото народи като чехи и словаци, а съседните турци още по-голяма. Според различни митохондриални анализи българите са най-сходни с поляци, чехи или унгарци."
    First quote means the following:
    "According to statistics from the 20th century (depending on the region) between 9-12% of Bulgarians are blond with light eyes, 42-47% are brunette with brown eyes and 43-46% are of transitional type (brunette with light eyes or blond with brown eyes)."
    This corresponds to other analysis of the population stating that about half of Bulgarian people have light eyes and blondism accounts to roughly 20% of the total population.
    Second quote translation:
    "Genetically modern Bulgarians are most closely related to other Balkan groups (Macedonians, Serbs, Romanians, Montenegrins) and after that to other Europeans. Autosomal analyses show that neighbouring Greeks are more distant to Bulgarians than nations like Czechs and Slovaks are, and Turks are even more distant to Bulgarians than Greeks are. Mitochondrial analyses show that Bulgarians are closest to Polish people, Czechs and Hungarians."
    Basically, Bulgarians (and I claim the same for Romanians) are closely related to West Balkan groups and are also much closer to Central Europeans than to Greeks (Turks being even more distant).

While I realize the genetic distance to Danes for both Bulgarians and Romanians, I would certainly place these Balkan groups as closer to Danish people than to inhabitants of Caucasus (especially to Armenians).
    Voting for Denmark.
    After not shaving for a while:

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade View Post
    Danish people:

Armenians:

You don't need to be an expert or to have travelled a lot to know that on group level both Bulgarians and Romanians resemble neither of the groups you mention in your poll.
    However, the so-called pan-Black Sea look you rate is actually due to the rare existence of Balkan and Mediterranean types in Caucasus, not the opposite. Armenoids don't exist in Bulgaria. Armenians in particular, I must say, are among the least Europoid people of the Caucasus. Usually to me they look either similar to Jews of the Middle East or to our local Gypsies.
    Georgians have much more people passable in Balkans although they largely differ from us.
    Turks have absorbed the most Balkan looks due to slave trading (ever heard the word enichari?) during the time of the Ottoman Empire. And I really don't like terms like "light Bulgarians", "light Balkanites", etc., as if we are some borderline Europeans or extremely dark people.
    I will quote and translate some data about researches on Bulgarian people:
    "Според статистика от 20 век, българите са между 9-12% от рус тип, 42–47% от тъмен тип, а 43–46% са междинен (светлокоси и тъмнооки или обратното)."
    "Генетично, днешните българи са по-тясно свързани със някои балкански популации (македонци, сърби, румънци, черногорци), отколкото с останалите европейци. Според автозомни анализи, съседните гърци имат по-голяма генетическа дистанция спрямо българите, отколкото народи като чехи и словаци, а съседните турци още по-голяма. Според различни митохондриални анализи българите са най-сходни с поляци, чехи или унгарци."
    First quote means the following:
    "According to statistics from the 20th century (depending on the region) between 9-12% of Bulgarians are blond with light eyes, 42-47% are brunette with brown eyes and 43-46% are of transitional type (brunette with light eyes or blond with brown eyes)."
    This corresponds to other analysis of the population stating that about half of Bulgarian people have light eyes and blondism accounts to roughly 20% of the total population.
    Second quote translation:
    "Genetically modern Bulgarians are most closely related to other Balkan groups (Macedonians, Serbs, Romanians, Montenegrins) and after that to other Europeans. Autosomal analyses show that neighbouring Greeks are more distant to Bulgarians than nations like Czechs and Slovaks are, and Turks are even more distant to Bulgarians than Greeks are. Mitochondrial analyses show that Bulgarians are closest to Polish people, Czechs and Hungarians."
    Basically, Bulgarians (and I claim the same for Romanians) are closely related to West Balkan groups and are also much closer to Central Europeans than to Greeks (Turks being even more distant).

While I realize the genetic distance to Danes for both Bulgarians and Romanians, I would certainly place these Balkan groups as closer to Danish people than to inhabitants of Caucasus (especially to Armenians).
    Voting for Denmark.
    As a side note, I do agree that Bulgarians and Greeks look strikingly different, relative to the fact they are neighbouring European countries. Bulgarians have a lot more genuinely Slavic types and considerably more light hair and eyes than do Greeks.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    As a side note, I do agree that Bulgarians and Greeks look strikingly different, relative to the fact they are neighbouring European countries. Bulgarians have a lot more genuinely Slavic types and considerably more light hair and eyes than do Greeks.
    "Strikingly different" is an overstatement. Greeks look no less like Bulgarians than they do Sicilian.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    "Strikingly different" is an overstatement. Greeks look no less like Bulgarians than they do Sicilian.
    I'm not saying they don't overlap, but compared to what is usually the case between two neighbouring European countries the differences are quite marked. Anyway, let us not digress too much please.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    I'm not saying they don't overlap, but compared to what is usually the case between two neighbouring European countries the differences are quite marked. Anyway, let us not digress too much please.
    I do not think the difference is nearly as stark as you think, considering that the Greeks who look clearly differentiated from Bulgarians are islanders who are not geographically near Bulgaria nor even really "Balkan" genetically.

People in Thessaloniki for instance do not look that different to Bulgaria.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information