Ancestry
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Exotic Borreby
    Politics
    Right vs Wrong, not Left vs Right or Lib vs Cons
    Religion
    Born again atheist, having faith in positive outcomes and a positive future. Personal belief system.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,114
    Given: 12,347

3 Not allowed!

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,729
    Given: 43,621

1 Not allowed!

Stears lost very little hair and he will be 40 this winter. Guys like him keep their hair for entire life, males in his family did too.
    And interestingly he has very thin and weak hair, I noticed men with strong, thick hair in youth bald much more than men with thin, "low quality" hair.

No idea why.

Aging Tom Cat Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian, Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Ancestry
    Northern England, SE Ireland, Northern Ireland, Castilla Spain
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 (R1b1a2a1a2a) R-Y3267
    mtDNA
    H6A1B
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,047
    Given: 10,747

1 Not allowed!

doin' ok for a 46 year old

still got a good head of hair on me

Ülev

3 Not allowed!

^^
    I y=dna feature
    steppe R1 is balding

Banned
    Last Online
    08-23-2020 @ 12:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germans
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Hero
    Harald Bluetooth
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 33

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Sharapova View Post
    Yeah but all of those characteristics you mentioned are clearly more significant than male pattern baldness in 40+ age.
    But a European man has on average 1/2 chance to experience hair loss already before age 40 (between 15-39 years of age).

And genetics is not everything, for example my genetics (attached below) puts me into a very low-risk group, only 26% chance of hair loss before 40 - which is the 2nd lowest risk group out of 20 risk groups (bins) - but I've still experienced some hair loss already after age 20 - and I'll go to a trichologist to see why:

The problem about hair loss is not genetics but lack of societal awareness that this can be successfully treated if you react early enough. If you are already completely bald, then it is too late for treatment. Hair transplants are not for people in an advanced stage of balding.

Hair transplants are for people in early-to-medium stages of balding. Not too early though, because it should be done when it is already possible to predict how your balding is going to progress during the next 10-20 years. So doing a transplant too early is not good.

Also before doing any transplant, the exact cause of your balding has to be diagnosed. Hence a trichologist first.
    Last edited by Harald Meller; 08-10-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Apricityverse shenanigans Universe's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Exotic Borreby
    Politics
    Right vs Wrong, not Left vs Right or Lib vs Cons
    Religion
    Born again atheist, having faith in positive outcomes and a positive future. Personal belief system.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,114
    Given: 12,347

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Harald Meller View Post
    But a European man has on average 1/2 chance to experience hair loss already before age 40 (between 15-39 years of age).
    Yes and no. By "hair loss" they mean hair becoming slightly less thick, slightly receding hair line etc, totally different than actually going bald.
    This guy is an example of someone who "lost hair" https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...34578dcdbd6492
    He isn't anywhere close to going bald.

Last Online
    05-12-2024 @ 02:27 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baldic
    Ethnicity
    Bald
    Ancestry
    Bald individuals
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Baldid
    Politics
    Pro-Baldness, Hair Loss
    Hero
    Charles the Bald
    Religion
    Ironically Calvinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,041
    Given: 996

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ülev View Post
    ^^
    I y=dna feature
    steppe R1 is balding
    Curiously it kinda makes sense for R1 countries

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germans
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Hero
    Harald Bluetooth
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Sharapova View Post
    So long as he isn't bald when you meet him 20-30
    Define what does "bald" mean? Often, 100% bald actually looks more aesthethic than a moderate stage of hair loss (the "I'm currently balding" look).

Often already an early stage of hair loss ruins your looks with many types of haircuts, and you have a limited choice of haircuts that look good on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Damn all comes much more tricky....
    And explain why I have "superior genetics" with 74% chance for no any hair loss, yet I'm experiencing hair loss? Even more tricky?

Based on my genes I have a lower risk of hair loss than 18 out of 20 males. But it is still a 26% risk.

And the top 5% of males still have 19% risk of hair loss. Everyone is at risk even with the best genes. Also, balding can start unexpectedly at some point in life and can progress rapidly for a year or two. Then it can slow down or even come to a halt for several years. It is not a process that has the same speed all the time.

In my case it was precisely like that (it started rapidly, then slowed down so much that the situation is now stable, but I already lost many hairs).

It is not a 0-1 thing that someone is genetically immune and someone is 100% vulnerable. At least not in case of European men. Some races are much more immune to balding but it rather has more to do with their hair structure (very different than European-type hair), not with Europeans having more of bad mutations.

And non-genetic factors, like for example a lot of stress at some point in life, also play a huge role.

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Yes and no. By "hair loss" they mean hair becoming slightly less thick, slightly receding hair line etc, totally different than actually going bald.
    Everyone has a different pattern.

In my case hair line is not receding more than normal (getting so called "mature hairline" is normal), but I have experienced scattered hair loss. So no any completely bald spots but less dense hair on top and in front of the head. The problem is not that individual hairs are less thick, but there are fewer hairs in the same area. And they said in a clinic that it is a good time to consider transplant, but that they will not correct my hair line (because they say it is fine, not too receeding), they will just make hair on the top of my head denser. Getting less dense hair also counts as male pattern baldness, even if no any completely bald areas emerge.

But I'm not happy about that consultation because they were not trying to diagnose the cause, and they kind of dismissed the genetic report which says I have 74% chance to not experience any problems with hair based on my genetics. So I will go to a professional trichologist next.

In the clinic they say any kind of bullshit just to encourage you to spend a lot of money for a transplant, at least that's the impression I got.

Go to a trichologist first (not a dermatologist, because he knows bullshit too) and your trichologist will recommend you a good clinic for transplant.

This guy is an example of someone who "lost hair" https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...34578dcdbd6492
    I have much better (less receded) hair line than him, but at the same time less dense hair on top of the head.

In my case it is scattered hair loss, rather than one area going 100% bald and another area staying unchanged.

I can't get so called brush haircuts (which are popular now) because I don't have dense enough hair on the top and it won't look good on me. As for hair line, they said in a clinic that they can add 2 milimeters (at most!) to it, otherwise it will look unnatural for an adult man (only teenage boys have such low hair lines).

BTW as for finasteride, they said that in 98% of cases there are no complications, and also that finasteride actually prevents prostate cancer. So it is beneficial for several things. Only if you already have prostate cancer, then finasteride is deadly. But it reduces the chances of developing prostate cancer.

So when you take finasteride, you need to check if everything is OK with your prostate at least every 6 months.

He isn't anywhere close to going bald.
    As I said, when you are really, actually bald, it is too late for treatment. Hair transplants are not for bald men.

Also what's the point of having hair that you must keep short anyway because no fancy haircut looks good?

I look good in haircuts that were trendy in the 1990s or early 2000s, but not in haircuts that are trendy now.

Modern methods like DHI or Micro-FUE allow transplantation of individual hairs one by one, without removing any of the existing hairs.

And Turkey is the leading country in this field, with best experts, but there are some very cheap shady clinics that have to be avoided.
    Last edited by Harald Meller; 08-10-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germans
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Hero
    Harald Bluetooth
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger0075 View Post
    Well those with huge bald genes are already getting bald at his 20s such as myself
    Have you done a DNA test that confirms you have "huge bald genes", or is it just your assumption? I was balding in my early 20s too (then it actually slowed down, and now is pretty stable, but I lost many hairs in that period). But my DNA test shows a very low risk, a very low genetic predisposition to balding. Out of 20 males, 18 have higher risk than me. It is still a 26% risk though. And even the top 5% of men with the best genes, have a 19% chance to start balding in their 20s.

My genetic results showing that I have genes which should most of the time prevent hair loss, actually encouraged me to try fixing what happened with a transplant. If you really have bad genes, then even if you do a transplant, you might lose most hair again within the next 5+ years or so after the transplant.* But if what happened was bad luck rather than genetic destiny, then there is a chance that a transplant will permanently solve the problem and I won't experience it again.

*But of course after the surgery they will give you medications to prevent hair loss and ensure that the improvement is permanent.

Last Online
    05-12-2024 @ 02:27 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baldic
    Ethnicity
    Bald
    Ancestry
    Bald individuals
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Baldid
    Politics
    Pro-Baldness, Hair Loss
    Hero
    Charles the Bald
    Religion
    Ironically Calvinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,041
    Given: 996

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Harald Meller View Post
    Have you done a DNA test that confirms you have "huge bald genes", or is it just your assumption? I was balding in my early 20s too (then it actually slowed down, and now is pretty stable, but I lost many hairs in that period). But my DNA test shows a very low risk, a very low genetic predisposition to balding. Out of 20 males, 18 have higher risk than me. It is still a 26% risk though. And even the top 5% of men with the best genes, have a 19% chance to start balding in their 20s.

My genetic results showing that I have genes which should most of the time prevent hair loss, actually encouraged me to try fixing what happened with a transplant. If you really have bad genes, then even if you do a transplant, you might lose most hair again within the next 5+ years or so after the transplant.* But if what happened was bad luck rather than genetic destiny, then there is a chance that a transplant will permanently solve the problem and I won't experience it again.

*But of course after the transplant they will give you medications to prevent hair loss and ensure that the improvement is permanent.
    I am assuming because my family members are usually bald, I believe Minoxidil is holding well my hair, currently I started using Finasteride too, but I am already thinking to stop using it. Ketoconazole at least 3x per week already part of my routine too

Last year when I was 21 I was already between level III and IV on Norwood scale, nowadays I am more on scale III, my crown got good results while my Vegeta's bald not so much.

I am already gathering money to do that transplant in Turkey, it is cheaper traveling and standing there for weeks than doing transplant in my own country

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information