Thread: "Northern Irish" isn't a proper nationality

Last Online
    01-28-2018 @ 11:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    White, cis gender shit lord
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon/Celt-WASP A pariah of the west.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Brittany
    Politics
    The power of Kek
    Religion
    God Emperor
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,428
    Given: 28,057

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Catkin View Post
    And my dad who I thought was fully English comes out as Irish
    My dad hates Germans....he hated my mother for having German ancestry....turns out he has German ancestors from the 1700s..... German Palatine ancestors.... who were moved here by the British Empire to live, and in turn service to the British Monarchy. They fought against the Rebels...my Dad was shocked. I laughed at him though and said seems you are a bit Hun too then.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,599
    Given: 29,041

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Uhtred View Post
    Aye, same here. Some Anglo-Norman surnames down my Irish side like Burke or FitzAdelm. Old English Catholics.
    No worries though, they became more Irish than the Irish themselves.
    My married name is Redmond. My father-in-law didn't believe that it was a Norman name. He is definitely "Níos Gaelaí ná na Gaeil féin". He wasn't too happy about being told his name is Norman. Some of the older Irish are very clannish and don't like to think that they aren't 100% Irish.

You know a lot about Irish history Uhtred and Britain as well. I'm guessing it is because British/Irish ancestry in Brazil isn't that common so it made you more interested in your ancestry.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Northern Italy, Lithuania, Scotland
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + CM
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,174
    Given: 7,962

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    My married name is Redmond. My father-in-law didn't believe that it was a Norman name. He is definitely "Níos Gaelaí ná na Gaeil féin". He wasn't too happy about being told his name is Norman. Some of the older Irish are very clannish and don't like to think that they aren't 100% Irish.

You know a lot about Irish history Uhtred and Britain as well. I'm guessing it is because British/Irish ancestry in Brazil isn't that common so it made you more interested in your ancestry.
    Exactly, I am very interested in British/Irish history because that's not a common ancestry here. I also have indigenous Gaelic names from Ireland like O'Brien and MacNeil. I believe the latter to be originally O'Neil, and my paddy ancestors changed it to the Scottish MacNeil when they settled in Scotland to avoid anti-Irish feelings. They were from Omagh. Many O'Neils up in Ulster based on what I've seen.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Exactly, I am very interested in British/Irish history because that's not a common ancestry here. I also have indigenous Gaelic names from Ireland like O'Brien and MacNeil. I believe the latter to be originally O'Neil, and my paddy ancestors changed it to the Scottish MacNeil when they settled in Scotland to avoid anti-Irish feelings. They were from Omagh. Many O'Neils up in Ulster based on what I've seen.
    On y-dna I'm descended from the original O'Neill that is Niall of the Nine Hostages. My brother is awaiting further results from FTDNA on his y chromosome. We know already he is M222 Niall's haplotype. I'm the only one in my family interested in this dna stuff. Should know more in about 5 - 7 weeks and whether we are more related to the Connachta.

I think the MacNeills are from Barra in Scotland (would have to look up to know what area in Scotland exactly). Anyway a lot of M222 is also in Scotland. The Irish also have the Mc/Mac names but the O prefix is definitely Irish whereas Mc/Mac could be either from Ireland or Scotland. The Scots never adopted the O which is from the same origin as Mac. Mac means son of and O means descendant (grandson). The O was most probably not in use when Gaelic went to Scotland but appeared in Ireland at a later date.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Northern Italy, Lithuania, Scotland
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + CM
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,174
    Given: 7,962

1 Not allowed!

On y-dna I'm descended from the original O'Neill that is Niall of the Nine Hostages. My brother is awaiting further results from FTDNA on his y chromosome. We know already he is M222 Niall's haplotype. I'm the only one in my family interested in this dna stuff. Should know more in about 5 - 7 weeks and whether we are more related to the Connachta.

I think the MacNeills are from Barra in Scotland (would have to look up to know what area in Scotland exactly). Anyway a lot of M222 is also in Scotland. The Irish also have the Mc/Mac names but the O prefix is definitely Irish whereas Mc/Mac could be either from Ireland or Scotland. The Scots never adopted the O which is from the same origin as Mac. Mac means son of and O means descendant (grandson). The O was most probably not in use when Gaelic went to Scotland but appeared in Ireland at a later date.
    A descendant of Niall of the Nine Hostages? You are badass! Yes, MacNeils are from Barra, but my ancestors were not, they were Catholics from Ulster, so I don't don't know if it was originally O'Neill, changed to MacNeil to avoid anti-Irish feelings that the Scots had against the Catholic Irish migrants. I'm an O'Brien, what could mean I am a descendant of Brian Boru?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

A descendant of Niall of the Nine Hostages? You are badass! Yes, MacNeils are from Barra, but my ancestors were not, they were Catholics from Ulster, so I don't don't know if it was originally O'Neill, changed to MacNeil to avoid anti-Irish feelings that the Scots had agains the Irish Catholics. I'm an O'Brien, what could mean I am a descendant of Brian Boru?
    I think all the Irish are descendants of all these men. My mother's family is most likely to be descendants from Brian Boru because they are right in his neck of the woods. O'Brien's definitely are. Brian was known as the Emperor of the Irish and he drove the Norse out of Ireland.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North-West European, minor North-Amerindian
    Ancestry
    British Isles (77%) Scandinavia (10%) France (9%) North-Amerindian (4%)
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    I-L233
    mtDNA
    X2b4
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid / Atlantid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    North-Sea Aesthetic
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,474
    Given: 15,639

4 Not allowed!

Someday people will realize that political borders and genetics have nothing to do with one another.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Cumbria, Scotland, Northumberland, Shetland
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,716
    Given: 5,851

1 Not allowed!

Changing surnames seems a bit far fetched for that reason. There was anti-Catholicism, that mainly started in the 1900's when the depression hit & unemployment rose, before there wasn't much bad feeling.

I mean so many irish people came to live here, what would be the point? There are quite a few o'Neill's in Glasgow.

wild gaelic savage
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-19-2016 @ 08:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/Germanic hybrid with disproportionate scandinavian phenotype for amount of ancestry
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian-American and Irish.
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, Frisia
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Leinster
    Taxonomy
    Borreby-Nordid / Keltik-Nordid
    Politics
    Tribal Anarchist
    Hero
    Avakkum
    Religion
    Christian.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,817
    Given: 867

1 Not allowed!

I think the whole thing has been manipulated by the British powers to divide and conquer. Ulster was always the most rebellious and Gaelic part of Ireland e.g. Red Hugh O'Donnell and the O'Neill's. They were the last part of Ireland to be conquered and they did this by whole scale population replacement of the native population.

The thing is that both Catholics and Protestants in the North of Ireland have some Scottish input so they are basically the same population hating on each other. My father is from North Roscommon and a lot of names are very Scottish even though it is in the Republic. There are loads of Campbells and MacDonalds. My Great Grandmother is a Leland which is from MacClelland and MacLelland. Irish and Scots are very related so they are all mad and all should get their dna tested to realise how stupid the whole thing is.
    You have a very good point about DNA. hopefully scotland breaks free and the stubborn orangemen get their identity shaken a bit.
    I was even surprised JUST HOW MUCH more wild and rebelliousness had always been attached to the north, as I really got into Irish history and culture when I was considering moving there as a fast track out of this wretched zionist empire known as America and into the EU ... Irish Americans already have a bad enough name and I'd not want to make it worse. Anyhow, the north was the direction in which the pale was slowest to expand, it was the birthplace of republicanism, through Irish presbyterians, rather than catholics, conflicting with the anglican imperial state. And to this day there are people trying to build a gaeltacht in belfast.

here's a cool documentary on local history of Armagh, that reaches back 300 years to make it's case.
    http://youtu.be/zfuKQ014jf8?t=4m42s
    i
    I'm looking for people like me, who are crazy, fun, and not afraid of life. and one day when I find them, we'll escape, we'll break out of the zoo.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-02-2014 @ 10:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Not of importance.
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 114

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crow View Post
    Yes on paper and passport....other than that the word is meaningless. New England is so much cooler. Do you have any Mayflower ancestry?
    Yes, I do.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information