Ukrainian, Romanian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 18

0 Not allowed!

Default Romania middle age samples for G25

Are there any samples from Romania to use? I found one in a spreadsheet and it's apparently a Mongol. Closest populations are in Mongolia and then Kazakhstan.

I've been using Bulgaria instead. My results come out to 79% medieval NW Ukrainian and 21% medieval Bulgarian. But The medieval Bulgarian is very far genetically from me and I'm assuming some medieval Romanian (intermediate) people contributed to my genetics. Other medieval Balkan samples (like Albania) are even further than the Bulgarian sample.

I'm not sure what the best reference populations would be for my case (southwest Ukrainian, north Moldavian).

Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    I-M423
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 99

0 Not allowed!

I think Bulgarians and Romanians are in most cases kinda the same genetically. Not surprising, considering Bulgaria and Wallachia were the same Tsardom/Empire/State for centuries. Still, people beyond the Carpathians should be different, because of the geographic barrier.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    European origin American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti-marxist, antimanelist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 541
    Given: 335

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by djipon View Post
    I think Bulgarians and Romanians are in most cases kinda the same genetically. Not surprising, considering Bulgaria and Wallachia were the same Tsardom/Empire/State for centuries. Still, people beyond the Carpathians should be different, because of the geographic barrier.
    There's a gradient from Bulgaria to Wallachia and Southern Moldova, but also an even softer gradient between Transylvanian Romanians and Old Kingdom Romanians. Half of the original Romanian population in Wallachia and Moldova at their formation (14th century) were Transylvanians who migrated outside the Carpathian arc because they were forced to either assimilate into the Hungarian culture and hierarchy or renounce their land and title rights.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    romanian canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 181

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dviz View Post
    There's a gradient from Bulgaria to Wallachia and Southern Moldova, but also an even softer gradient between Transylvanian Romanians and Old Kingdom Romanians. Half of the original Romanian population in Wallachia and Moldova at their formation (14th century) were Transylvanians who migrated outside the Carpathian arc because they were forced to either assimilate into the Hungarian culture and hierarchy or renounce their land and title rights.
    Their is a gradient between translyiana romanians and Bulgarians too Also how much do we know about the small states before Wallachia

Last Online
    Today @ 06:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    romanian canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 181

1 Not allowed!

Sorry there isn't really sample from middle medieval age romania on g 25 expect one pechenag from the early medieval age

Thread Information