Atlantid/Atlantomediterranid
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default [SPLIT from 23andme] Info on Basque genetic distributions

Thanks but... I dunno, to me it still seems strange that instead of Spain says "basques" I wonder what reason there is to this peculiarity, the French are one, all countries are but Spain are a "Basque".

Well I suppose that you have no other significance, I guess time will the truth in his lawful place, but is not strange that Spain will not even be named?

Do not take it badly, it's just a detail, greetings

Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Ancestry
    Castilla la Vieja
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    nationalism
    Religion
    España
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,980
    Given: 1,061

0 Not allowed!

Actually there are other studies that indicate the Basques are not isolated :

February 17, 2010

Basques not genetically distinct from other Iberians

Human Genetics doi:10.1007/s00439-010-0798-3
    Source : http://www.springerlink.com/content/k24743n504551128/

A genome-wide survey does not show the genetic distinctiveness of Basques

Hafid Laayouni et al.

Abstract

Basques are a cultural isolate, and, according to mainly allele frequencies of classical polymorphisms, also a genetic isolate. We investigated the differentiation of Spanish Basques from the rest of Iberian populations by means of a dense, genome-wide SNP array. We found that F ST distances between Spanish Basques and other populations were similar to those between pairs of non-Basque populations. The same result is found in a PCA of individuals, showing a general distinction between Iberians and other South Europeans independently of being Basques. Pathogen-mediated natural selection may be responsible for the high differentiation previously reported for Basques at very specific genes such as ABO, RH, and HLA. Thus, Basques cannot be considered a genetic outlier under a general genome scope and interpretations on their origin may have to be revised.

Source : http://www.springerlink.com/content/k24743n504551128/

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Ancestry
    Castilla la Vieja
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    nationalism
    Religion
    España
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Another study about it :

Paolo Garagnani et al.

Abstract

The Basques are a culturally isolated population, living across the western border between France and Spain and speaking a non-Indo-European language. They show outlier allele frequencies in the ABO, RH, and HLA loci. To test whether Basques are a genetic isolate with the features that would make them good candidates in genetic association studies, we genotyped 123 SNPs in a 1-Mb region in chromosome 22 in Basque samples from France and Spain, as well as in samples from northern and southern Spain, and in three North African samples. Both Basque samples showed similar levels of heterozygosity to the other populations, and the decay of linkage disequilibrium with physical distance was not different between Basques and non-Basques. Thus, Basques do not show the genetic properties expected in population isolates.

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v...hg200969a.html

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Ancestry
    Castilla la Vieja
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    nationalism
    Religion
    España
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

And another :

May 08, 2009
    Basques are not a genetic isolate

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v...hg200969a.html

EXTRACT

This paper shows that Basques, who are viewed by some as a relatively isolated remnant of the European Paleolithic population, do not in fact show any signs of being a genetic isolate, having similar levels of heterozygosity, i.e., tendency to have different alleles in any particular locus, and linkage disequilibrium, i.e, the tendency of alleles in big blocks of DNA to be inherited together.

The MDS plot of the Fst distances is also quite interesting, showing Catalans, Extremadura, Basques, and Andalusians on the left, and Moroccans and Saharans on the right. As the authors note:

The MDS plot shows that genetic variation can be described with a single component, namely, Iberian vs North African populations (note the huge difference in scale between components 1 and 2), and Basques are not differentiated from other Iberian populations.

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

This is off topic and have nothing to do with my genetic ancestry, so I have asked the moderation to remove or split these posts into another thread.

create a thread about Basque genetics if you want, but please don't post anything more off topic in my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatillo View Post

Well I suppose that you have no other significance, I guess time will the truth in his lawful place
    You don't make sense now?

Thread Information