@
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

People posting on this thread may also appreciate this dedicated comic book fan's interpretation of Marvel storylines into videos accompanied by some very good music.

Det Nordiske Råd™approved Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of SNPA"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    nordish
    Ethnicity
    american
    Taxonomy
    homo sapiens nordensis
    Politics
    reality>reason>rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,797
    Given: 7,108

0 Not allowed!

Pow! Comic-Con to stay through 2015

Decision ends bids from L.A. and Anaheim

Giving nerds and hoteliers cause for celebration, Comic-Con International announced Thursday that the giant science fiction and fantasy convention will remain in San Diego through 2015.

The annual convention became so popular in recent years that its 125,000 attendees no longer fit in San Diego Convention Center ---- this year, organizers hosted overflow events in nearby hotels. With their contract with the city expiring in 2012, organizers considered leaving the city where Comic-Con was born 40 years ago. In recent months, the list of possible sites was winnowed to San Diego, Los Angeles, and Anaheim.

"We are grateful for the tireless efforts all three cities put into to their proposals," David Glanzer, a spokesman for Comic-Con, said in a written statement. "In the end, we feel this decision is the best for all those who attend Comic-Con and for the organization itself. We are happy that the community has worked with us to ensure that we remain here."

Comic-Con injected $163 million to the San Diego regional economy in 2009, according to a study from the San Diego Convention Center Corp.

In an effort to keep the event, San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders lobbied to expand the Convention Center, and his administration worked with Comic-Con International to accommodate the ever-more popular event.

Every ticket to 2010 Comic-Con, held in July, sold out in advance, and before this year's Con ended, preview tickets for opening night 2011 were already gone.

ERIC WOLFF | Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:47 pm |

"Friend of SNPA"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    nordish
    Ethnicity
    american
    Taxonomy
    homo sapiens nordensis
    Politics
    reality>reason>rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Talking

After much ado,
    Comic-Con staying in San Diego

Lori Weisberg | Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 3:52 p.m.

Comic-Con, that whimsical show that for decades has been delivering costumed superheroes and Hollywood celebs to town, will be here five more years, ending months of speculation that San Diego’s largest convention might head north to Anaheim or Los Angeles where hotel rates are cheaper and exhibit space more plentiful.

Ultimately, Comic-Con International’s decision to stay, which will be announced Friday, hinged on detailed contracts negotiated with the 64 convention block hotels committing them to prescribed, discounted rates through 2015. Concerns had arisen in recent years that some local hotels took undue advantage of the enormously popular event by charging excessively high rates, especially in downtown where rooms sell out quickly during the four-day July confab.

Comic-Con’s current contract with San Diego’s convention center expires in 2012, which led organizers to begin looking elsewhere for the years 2013 to 2015.

In the end, San Diego proved to be a sentimental favorite for organizers of the convention, which debuted in 1970 as a relatively small gathering of devoted comic book fans.

“We’ve always had a desire to stay in San Diego, and we had three amazing proposals,” said Comic-Con spokesman David Glanzer. “It was obviously a very difficult decision, one born out by the amount of time it’s taken to make that decision. But in the end San Diego was able to address a lot of our concerns.

“It’s never been a secret we’d hoped to stay here, but the real challenge was that those who want to attend the event can afford to attend, in terms of size and space and cost.”

Estimated to deliver an annual economic bonanza of $163 million to the San Diego region, the pop culture phenomenon was wooed aggressively by rival convention cities who offered lucrative deals capitalizing on convention organizers’ long-held concerns that they had outgrown San Diego’s smaller center.

While the bids were confidential, it was rumored that Los Angeles offered convention space at no cost.

At one point, competition for the convention grew so fierce that Los Angeles and Anaheim tourism officials launched dueling Facebook fan pages designed to demonstrate the depth of their commitment to nabbing Comic-Con. San Diego fans, however, had already debuted a month earlier their own “Keep Comic-Con in San Diego” Facebook page, which has roughly seven times the number of fans.

Despite being disappointed by the decision, Anaheim tourism officials remain optimistic that Comic-Con could eventually come their way in the future. “We certainly recognize how difficult a decision this was by virtue of how long it took,” said Charles Ahlers, president of the Anaheim/Orange County Visitor & Convention Bureau. “We understand it was not a unanimous decision by Comic-Con so clearly there is interest in alternative locations so that gives us hope for the future.”

Convention Center Corp. officials, though, believe the real turning point in the city’s campaign to keep the convention here was when San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders intervened and met with local hoteliers in March to make sure they were willing to do everything they could to best their Southern California competitors.

“I truly think the catalyst was the mayor getting involved personally, having meetings in his office to let the hotel community know we were all committed,” said Carol Wallace, Convention Center Corp. president. “People really stood up and took notice. I also had a staff person assigned full time working with Comic-Con for the last year.”

“I’m extremely excited and honored by their decision because it really shows the partnership we’ve developed with Comic-Con over 40 years in San Diego. “I know they need an expanded convention center, and we’re doing everything we can to accomplish that, not just to benefit Comic-Con but all the conventions that have overgrown San Diego.”

Although the city has plans to significantly expand the center and is in the midst of selecting an architect, funding must still be identified for the $750 million project.

“I think we sent them a pretty clear signal that we’re going to go all out to expand the convention center,” Sanders said. “Of course, I can’t guarantee that but we’re working real hard on this issue.

Recognizing Comic-Con’s more immediate need for added space for exhibitors and the more than 130,000 attendees that flood the city, San Diego’s three waterfront hotels — the Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego Marriott and Hilton San Diego Bayfront — committed to providing roughly 300,000 square feet of their meeting space free of charge in 2013 through 2015. In addition, the Convention Center Corp., working with local hotels, was able to double the number of dedicated convention hotel rooms to roughly 14,000.

According to Wallace, the city’s hotel occupancy rate is the highest in the country when Comic-Con comes to town.

As much as holding onto the convention had become a matter of civic pride, more important are the huge revenues that come San Diego’s way each year the event is held. A 2008 survey of conventioneers found that direct spending alone on hotels, meals, transportation and related costs totals nearly $68 million a year.

Add to that the worldwide publicity the convention commands because of its Hollywood star power, and it’s no surprise that city leaders and hoteliers often liken Comic-Con to having a Super Bowl in town ever year.

“I think everyone met face to face on this and decided this was really important for the San Diego region.” said Mayor Sanders. “This is a great employment generator in terms of people working on the convention and all the things it spins off. It’s also good for the psyche of the city. And we literally couldn’t buy the kind of P.R. we get. We get more journalists and magazines and TV here during Comic-Con than we get for anything else in San Diego.”

"Friend of SNPA"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    nordish
    Ethnicity
    american
    Taxonomy
    homo sapiens nordensis
    Politics
    reality>reason>rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up there were thousands of girls in costume

Last edited by lei.talk; 07-12-2017 at 09:50 PM.

"Friend of SNPA"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    nordish
    Ethnicity
    american
    Taxonomy
    homo sapiens nordensis
    Politics
    reality>reason>rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Cool edward cullen wears the big red "S"

"Friend of SNPA"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    nordish
    Ethnicity
    american
    Taxonomy
    homo sapiens nordensis
    Politics
    reality>reason>rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

in the underground comics of the late sixties,
    richard corben caught my attention
    and i wish he was as interested in drawing new comics
    as i am in viewing any new ones from him.

the link between den and edgar rice burroughs
    exacerbated my behavior at the society for creative anachronism,
    which - back then - was far more "creative" than historical.

my krenkel-esque costumes
    were popular, if, impractical.
    Last edited by lei.talk; 07-12-2017 at 09:50 PM. Reason: the previous version of vbulletin youtube bracket-command no longer functions

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lei.talk View Post

Let me be your Destro baby!

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

0 Not allowed!

Mostly I read Manga, but there are a few Western comics I do like, including:

I have the entire collection

and

which I also own

and

Which I read in the bookstore but do not own.

But mostly I prefer Japanese works because, frankly, I think they have more depth. Their warrior-oriented comics are also a little more absorbing than Western comics. We need to figure out what it is that the Japanese have and try to find the same thing in ourselves.

Admittedly, I do like some less violent stuff, but I'll refrain from posting too much manga.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-16-2012 @ 06:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ancestry
    Croatian
    Country
    Croatia
    Taxonomy
    Croatian
    Politics
    Croatia
    Religion
    Croatian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Amarantine View Post

"Friend of SNPA"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    nordish
    Ethnicity
    american
    Taxonomy
    homo sapiens nordensis
    Politics
    reality>reason>rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up

Last edited by lei.talk; 07-12-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information