Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northerners Have Bigger Brains And Eye Sockets According To Science Researchers At Oxford University

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,280
    Given: 39,691

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by altin View Post
    Large animals?

Completely the opposite. I was wondering whether evolution favored better vision in northerners because they had to hunt animals from either far away, or very very small animals.
    Aha, I see.

Well, most humans hunt primarily small animals. The only human group which exclusively or almost exclusively hunts large animals is the Inuit because they are the only group to live in an environment where most food is in large animal form (pre-Inuit people like the Dorset Culture and Sadlermuit would also qualify, but keeping it simple). The reason humans hunt medium sized animals is because that's the safest route that actually leaves us with something worth eating at the end. Ergo, Northerners did not hunt smaller animals than Southerners.

As for hunting animals from far away; I doubt there'd be much variation within Great Britain.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Last Online
    09-25-2015 @ 10:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alban
    Ethnicity
    Tosk
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 396

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Longbowman View Post
    Aha, I see.

Well, most humans hunt primarily small animals. The only human group which exclusively or almost exclusively hunts large animals is the Inuit because they are the only group to live in an environment where most food is in large animal form (pre-Inuit people like the Dorset Culture and Sadlermuit would also qualify, but keeping it simple). The reason humans hunt medium sized animals is because that's the safest route that actually leaves us with something worth eating at the end. Ergo, Northerners did not hunt smaller animals than Southerners.

As for hunting animals from far away; I doubt there'd be much variation within Great Britain.
    Actually my question to English Rose was sarcastic, because she face palmed my inability to understand that bigger brains had nothing to do with intelligence and everything to do with better vision.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,432
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Your brain is the fattest organ in your body. It's about 60% fat.

Scientists Say Dieting Causes Your Brain To Eat Itself. Now, the body cannibalizing itself isn’t something new, when the body is starving cells will start consuming pieces of themselves in a process known as autophagy, but until now, it was believed that the brain was resistant to this process.

Big Brains Cause Cramped Mouths: Evolution isn't perfect. If it were, we might have wings instead of wisdom teeth. Sometimes useless features stick around in a species simply because they're not doing much harm. But wisdom teeth weren't always a cash crop for oral surgeons. Long ago, they served as a useful third set of meat-mashing molars. But as our brains grew our jawbone structure changed, leaving us with expensively overcrowded mouths.

Your brain is made up of about 75 percent water.

Your brain consists of about 100 billion neurons.

You have over 100,000 miles of axons in your brain. They could wrap around the Earth 4 times.

At birth, your brain was almost the same size as an adult brain and contained most of the brain cells for your whole life.

You had more brain cells when you were 2 years-old than you will at any other point in your life.

Frequent dreams are correlated with having a higher IQ.

Ancient peoples thought the brain wasn’t important as the stomach and heart. When mummifying people, Egyptians would pull the brain out through the nose.

Having a bigger brain doesn’t make you smarter. In fact, Albert Einstein had a relatively small brain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information