Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: The most difficult book you've ever read?

Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Andean highlander
    Country
    Bolivia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,340
    Given: 2,700

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Theodore View Post
    Arent Kant books the hardests? i didnt know that about Hegel.
    Kant's hardness is overrated IMO, he writes in a very straightforward and logical way. Hegel is pretty much impossible to understand without the help of secondary literature.

Ice Guardian Occiput in Starlight's Avatar
    Last Online
    09-08-2023 @ 04:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Orthodox Sorb
    Country
    Mongolia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,402
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

I didn't read Hegel in college even when it was required for some philosophy paper I took. I was incapable of the necessary concentration and work ethic.

I wouldn't even classify my attempt as "reading" because the experience was so unlike any other book-human experience I have ever had.

Maybe if I had any affinity for or experience with the sciences, my Hegel experience wouldn't have seemed so alien to me.
    Everywhere across whatever sorrows of which our life is woven, some radiant joy will gaily flash past.

-Dave Semenko

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Occipitalian
    Ethnicity
    polenta
    Ancestry
    Triveneto and Lombardia
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Santa Catarina
    Hero
    JamesBond007, Roberto Baggio
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,003
    Given: 1,851

1 Not allowed!

Jorge Luis Borges' short stories. They are hard but they are very rewarding. The few ones I think I was able to understand were life-changing.

Nietzsche's Zarathustra was very hard too, but I never seriously attempted to study him. I only read The Genealogy of Morals fully, it was great but as Token said it's the one book that a layman can read with no challenges. Philosophy is complicated to me because there isn't really a straightforward path to beginners and autodidacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007
    I got the spaghetti nigger blues I got the spaghetti nigger blues from the top of my hat to the bottom of my cowboy shoes. What kind of Catholic barbaric black art voodoo pills do you prescribe mister Dago ?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:44 AM
    Ethnicity
    Tramps and Thieves
    Ancestry
    Multieverything
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Politics
    Hardliner, Law & Order, Clerical-Fascism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,533
    Given: 59,404

0 Not allowed!

I dont know if difficult but tiresome and much to read... 4-5 Books.... Thousands of pages combined

whatsapp logo wallpaper hd
    In the moonlit dance of evening's grace, Roma women with beauty, hearts ablaze. Eyes that glimmer like stars in night, Their laughter, a song, pure delight.
    With flowing skirts and steps so light, They spin through life, a vibrant sight. Jewels that glint and hair that flows, In their presence, a garden grows.
    Roma men with courage bold, Stories of their bravery told. Through trials and paths unknown, Their strength and honor brightly shown.
    With hearts as wild as open skies, They face the world with fearless eyes. Protectors of their kin and kind, In every shadow, light they find.
    Together in a timeless dance, Of love and life, a fierce romance. The Roma spirit, free and strong, In every heartbeat, in every song.
    Through fields and forests, roads unplanned, They roam the world, a nomad band. Beautiful women, heroic men, In the Roma, life’s magic begins again.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicalslavic View Post
    As a woman I find those pretty curly haired tan Mediterranean men with muscular asses hard enough to resist. I can't imagine how much worse this would be if I was a man.

Ice Guardian Occiput in Starlight's Avatar
    Last Online
    09-08-2023 @ 04:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Orthodox Sorb
    Country
    Mongolia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,402
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Occiput in Starlight View Post
    I didn't read Hegel in college even when it was required for some philosophy paper I took. I was incapable of the necessary concentration and work ethic.

I wouldn't even classify my attempt as "reading" because the experience was so unlike any other book-human experience I have ever had.

Maybe if I had any affinity for or experience with the sciences, my Hegel experience wouldn't have seemed so alien to me.
    I also tried reading Schopenhauer a couple of times, but without background knowledge and reading my enterprises were futile.

Like with Hegel, I found reading Schopenhauer to exercise muscles of the mind which my usual reading materials (fiction, history, biography, poetry, light non fiction) simply don't. But maybe it's just that I haven't read enough advanced (or advanced enough) books and that's why I experienced Schop./Heg. the way I did.

I find it strange thinking about the dying of people like Hegel and Schopenhauer. There is something jarring about such intense cognition simply ceasing to be.
    Everywhere across whatever sorrows of which our life is woven, some radiant joy will gaily flash past.

-Dave Semenko

Atlantean Pale Baron Todesritter's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-07-2023 @ 09:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Austro-Hungarian
    Ancestry
    Western Slavic + Germanic Cisleithanian ancestral HRE mix
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid + Faelid
    Politics
    Anarcho-monarchist spiritually stratified ethnostate
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 134

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rædwald View Post
    Anything by Kerouac. I don't know why he gets such praise, his writing is schizophrenic at best.
    Loser hippie degenerates idolize a loser hippie degenerate that made it big in pseudo-artistic circles as proof that their lifestyle isn't fruitless waste. The whole postmodern Beat generation was trash.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Undecided
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Ancestry
    German+Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U5a1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,130
    Given: 1,020

0 Not allowed!

Citadelle by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Veteran Member BakersfieldChimp's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic Prussian
    Ethnicity
    Eastern European
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Fritz Lang
    Religion
    wouldn't be the first time
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,056
    Given: 2,537

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rædwald View Post
    Anything by Kerouac. I don't know why he gets such praise, his writing is schizophrenic at best.
    https://www.beatdom.com/famous-write...-like-kerouac/

"TRUMAN CAPOTE
    Kerouac claimed to have written his great novel in a three-week frenzy at his type-writer, banging away on the keys and churning out words onto a giant scroll of taped-together paper. Seven years on the road; three weeks writing the book. That’s how he said it was written. To this day, he is famed for this “spontaneous prose” style, yet it sparked the most well-known of all put-downs for On the Road, when Truman Capote, who wrote In Cold Blood, remarked, “That isn’t writing; it’s typing.”

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic Prussian
    Ethnicity
    Eastern European
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Fritz Lang
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Todesritter View Post
    Steiner's Cosmic Memory in recent memory, moreso because of the format than the content. I think I might have found every book I never finished easier to read if it had been on paper. I'm intentionally excepting art and film theory books, because I've more often gone through specific chapters rather than the whole thing.

Fiction-wise, Kafka's Trial and The Sorrows of Young Werther, which was more florid and harder to read than the Iliad and Kalevala. I like Goethe, but nonetheless... I found the Unfinished Tales and the Iliad as well as Kafka's short stories a pleasant read as long as they were printed on good paper, though.

Steppenwolf was an emotionally demanding read, in that it confronted me with a lot of uncomfortable habits and thought-cycles I had also assumed in my life. Ultimately, that's what made it so rewarding, though.
    Where I come from, Kafka is used as "self-help" reading.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic Prussian
    Ethnicity
    Eastern European
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Fritz Lang
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit. Probably the most difficult philosophy book ever written.

My stumbling block with Hegel seems really stupid at this point. Once I realized he was more of a Christian out of convenience rather than a true believer, I quit trying to make his ideas fit into that mindset.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread Information