Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fat Gene? I Don`t Believe In It...

Last Online
    01-30-2013 @ 04:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    At my fathers side, we are all pure norwegians back to the black plague
    Country
    Norway
    Region
    Rogaland
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Åsatru
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Fat gene is bullshit!

I have been a part of the junk, snacks and all kind of shit eating type. Now, I do have an incredibely good stomac when it comes to burn down the food, so I have never been fat, but I know if I would've kept up the junk food, I'll be fat fish today. I've just turned the table when it comes to snacks for middle-meals and rather eat drapes, apples and so on, but I must admit I miss some of the sweet&sour candies. I still drink to much Cola though.
    :Visi neinn, sithan mathr fylgja neinn:
    :Fylgja neinn, sithan mathr visi neinn:
    :Hvarfa vith til mathr, etha fagna mathr:

Gifts does not need to be great, one does often get compliments to few

This one is machine and nerve, and got a mind concluded.
    This one is but flesh and faith, and are the more deluded.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

I don't believe in the fat gene, but I definitely believe in the addictive gene, perhaps there's a correlation somewhere?

The Dog Days Are Over Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-29-2013 @ 07:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/English/American
    Ethnicity
    Pretty
    Ancestry
    Scotland/England/America
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alabama
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Politics
    Rather Not
    Religion
    half Atheist/half Spiritul/Nature
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

I'm not excluding the fat gene factor yet, but ya'll make some good points. I would have to read more about it to understand where they are coming from.

I have noticed though a lot of times if you have over weight parents their children sometimes become over weight as well...whether this has anything to do with genes...I don't know. I know it would definitely come from the parents having bad choice of food and lifestyle. No exercise and so on...and we all know what the parents choose many times becomes what their children choose. After all it is the food in the cabinet that there parents bought.

Then sometimes I am sure their are children who see their parents/parent struggle with weight and that makes them determined to be healthy.

A Wanderer Through Middle Earth YggsVinr's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-20-2012 @ 10:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Norman, West Frankish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

I think you're quite right, Mrs. Lyfing, on the issue of obese parents and passing on their habits to their children. When it comes to the "fat gene" itself, I think its effect is probably similar to the opposite end of the spectrum. There are some people who find it difficult to gain weight and may be underweight or unable to gain muscle mass because their metabolism is faster than the average person. I think the reverse is true, that there are some people who find it more difficult to lose weight than others. But I think both can overcome those issues if they stick to a "regime" of sorts that works for their particular needs. The more people with weight problems exercise and the more they eat smaller, more frequent, healthier meals in a day the faster their metabolism will become. I think part of the issue is that many of these people who have issues losing the weight want a quick fix, a pill etc. instead of remaining focused and dedicated to their own health.

I've been involved in martial arts a good portion of my life and also frequently weight train, and what I've learned from the trainers I've had in various martial arts, nutritionists employed at some of the gyms I've joined as well as the weightlifters and powerlifters I've met is that we're often too focused on having 3 big meals a day, and that it's far better to have 4 to 6 smaller meals or snacks in a day to help keep your metabolism up.

For example:

Meal 1:
    Oatmeal with flaxseed oil

Meal 2:
    Homemade smoothie or protein shake

Meal 3:
    Chicken breast with broccoli

Meal 4:
    Cottage cheese and carrots

Meal 5:
    Fish and a salad and/or a slice of bread

Meal 6:
    Homemade smoothie or protein shake

The thing is, people get hungry and they'll wolf down a huge meal before their stomach gets a chance to say "stop", as long as your giving your stomach a small snack in between moderate meals people won't get that "I want to devour the whole fridge" kind of feeling.

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Ireland, Sweden.
    Taxonomy
    Baltid
    Politics
    SNP
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

0 Not allowed!

and that it's far better to have 4 to 6 smaller meals or snacks in a day to help keep your metabolism up.
    This is true, and I agree wholeheartedly. Most of my days are labour intensive...I frequently get hungry but never believe in starving myself. By `grazing`...that is, eating little but often...I feel fuller for longer, have more energy with less lows, and am generally healthier.
    I also think the kind of food matters....long, slow energy release foods like oats seem to work better than anything calorific and sugary.

A Wanderer Through Middle Earth YggsVinr's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-20-2012 @ 10:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Norman, West Frankish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oresai View Post
    I also think the kind of food matters....long, slow energy release foods like oats seem to work better than anything calorific and sugary.
    Agreed, there are certain foods that sustain a person longer. Honestly, foods that are excessively sugary (talking white sugar and co. here) only give a person a brief burst of energy and make you far more tired afterwards. Same thing for high calorie, high trans fat foods. For example, a homemade bison or moose burger is going to put more in the tank, so to speak, than a McDonald's Big Mac that's got nearly 2000 calories but really gives you little energy. Bison or moose meat is lower in fat, lower in calories, but will give you the energy you need for both physical and mental/concentration activities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information