Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Spain a Christian country?

Tradra

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sacha View Post
    Now you are completely free to explain this to me, but why are you looking to convert to Orthodoxy when every belief you harbor is based on hatred and non-conformism? You peddle conspiracy theories that directly contradict the doctrine of the Orthodox Church in a manner more reminiscent of an unfaithful born-Christian and is vastly inappropriate for a catechumen, using the Bible as a means to an ends, something to manipulate to create your own belief system instead of a work of reverence. Protestants emphasize self-interpretation of a smaller Bible and the priesthood of all believers. To me, it feels as if you reject the core, traditional tenants of Orthodoxy and instead are fully Protestant in your interpretation of scripture, which is Orthodoxy is meant to be done by not the common man, but the ordained clergy (Bishops, Priests, et cetera).

You cannot claim to be Orthodox either if you have not yet actually been baptized into Orthodoxy. I feel as if there is this new wave of disillusioned Western Christians who disagree with their faith but are not used to the hard work, commitment and high standard that comes with actual Eastern Christianity— to be fair, many born into Eastern Christianity have become like this too. If you are serious about Orthodoxy, you must commit yourself to it and its interpretations, as there is no room for this kind of meaningless rhetoric ("Protestantism Judaism," what even is this my friend?) in it. I urge you to actually consider what you are trying to get out of your relationship with God instead of borderline unabashedly committing the unforgivable sin in His name.
    Maybe you need to listen to Brother Nathanael. Quite frankly the only denomination I've heard any form of opposition to the Jews has come from Orthodox voices, everyone else is just loving being enslaved and exterminated by the jews.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Coastal Syrian
    Ancestry
    Tartous
    Country
    United States
    mtDNA
    H4a1-T152C!
    Religion
    Catholic (Maronite Rite)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,831
    Given: 998

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradra View Post
    Maybe you need to listen to Brother Nathanael. Quite frankly the only denomination I've heard any form of opposition to the Jews has come from Orthodox voices, everyone else is just loving being enslaved and exterminated by the jews.
    He is a mentally unwell convert to this new, bastardized 'Internet Orthodoxy,' and has been censured multiple times by the Orthodox church. His only form of validation is that he was at least at one point a monastic novice. But I doubt you are being serious with me. If you only wish to join the Orthodox faith because of your hatred for Jews, you are not looking to actually convert to Orthodoxy.
    23andMe: 100% Levantine
    AncestryDNA: 100% Levant (North Lebanon & Mount Lebanon)
    ܫܘܒܚܐ ܠܡܪܢ ܝܫܘܥ ܡܫܝܚܐ ♰
    My mtFull

Companhia dos Leões da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,274
    Given: 16,955

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Seya View Post
    I have been in Spain on Easter day/week. They do have many street processions indeed. It was very interesting and different for me. Orthodox processions are different. Everything is different. There aren't many common things in terms of customs. I believe there are differences between Orthodox churches too. Living among Russians exposed me to their Orthodox churches, but the practices varied significantly from the Balkan Orthodox traditions. So there is that. Orthodoxy in the Balkans is very abundant in customs around Easter especially but also Christmas and other religious holidays. Funerals are also something I have never seen anywhere else before. The customs in Balkan Orthodoxy, though rich in tradition, might appear archaic or peculiar to outsiders. The commemoration of the dead is a neverending story. Anyways, I'll post some images of something street religious processions here:
    It's good that you've been to Spain, that way you can confirm that I'm telling the truth. There's nothing in Europe like it. Of course there are processions elsewhere, but the Spanish case is different, the Holy Week is literally a mass event celebrated throughout the country and in some regions, such as the south, it's even more important than Christmas. We're talking about everything being choreographed and planned, sometimes almost a year in advance, it also tends to involve philharmonic groups as well as the army. It's something so different that it ends up being a tourist attraction as well, drawing people from all over the world to come and watch.

YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,067
    Given: 5,709

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    It's a secular country like all the others in Europe. Is it a country with a clear Christian civilizacional matrix? Yes. Is Christianity and its traditions present in Spanish society? Yes. Are these traditions and customs more visible than in Germany? Absolutely, not only in Germany but almost everywhere in Europe. Only Italians and the Portuguese are somewhat on the same "level". Come to Spain during Holy Week and you'll understand.
    I agree with almost all you wrote but would argue Croatia and Poland are right there with Iberia and Italy.
    We have extremely live and mass Catholic traditions alive to this day including among youth.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

from my ancestral Island:

I will participate first time this spring during holy week. Every village starts procession in same time following the cross and it lasts entire night. They all have same destination that is nearby town. To have honor of carrying the cross you have to apply sometimes 10 years in advance.

Many walk barefoot.

In Croatia we have many Catholic traditions, and this is just one example.

Companhia dos Leões da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,274
    Given: 16,955

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    I agree with almost all you wrote but would argue Croatia and Poland are right there with Iberia and Italy.
    We have extremely live and mass Catholic traditions alive to this day including among youth.
    Yes, it's true. There is a myth circulating in this forum that in Orthodox countries there is greater adherence or importance attached to religion. This is false, and only corresponds to a few countries such as Greece or Romania. Poland or Croatia are on the same level, if not more.
    YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

Tradra

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sacha View Post
    He is a mentally unwell convert to this new, bastardized 'Internet Orthodoxy,' and has been censured multiple times by the Orthodox church. His only form of validation is that he was at least at one point a monastic novice. But I doubt you are being serious with me. If you only wish to join the Orthodox faith because of your hatred for Jews, you are not looking to actually convert to Orthodoxy.
    Why do you say he's mentally unwell? He speaks truth for the most part and why do you say I hate jews? Have I ever said I hate jews? I merely expose their psychopathic evil behaviour just like Brother Nathanael, what's wrong with that? Didn't Jesus do the same? Am I supposed to close my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears and pretend they aren't openly waging war against humanity and especially Christians? I find it sad that I am accused of being unloving when my exact intention of exposing the jews is so that fellow Christians can know their enemy and perhaps escape their evil doings, they're not going to stop you know and eventually our heads will literally be on the platter.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Coastal Syrian
    Ancestry
    Tartous
    Country
    United States
    mtDNA
    H4a1-T152C!
    Religion
    Catholic (Maronite Rite)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,831
    Given: 998

0 Not allowed!

I really do enjoy watching European Catholic celebrations. It is interesting how we differ despite both being Catholic, we are a bit more monastic and stick to older rituals, services et cetera. I love seeing it celebrated in such a wide scale, we do have public celebrations in Syria and especially the Lebanese have big ones but there is just so many people I can see celebrating in these videos, it makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradra View Post
    Why do you say he's mentally unwell? He speaks truth for the most part and why do you say I hate jews? Have I ever said I hate jews? I merely expose their psychopathic evil behaviour just like Brother Nathanael, what's wrong with that? Didn't Jesus do the same? Am I supposed to close my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears and pretend they aren't openly waging war against humanity and especially Christians? I find it sad that I am accused of being unloving when my exact intention of exposing the jews is so that fellow Christians can know their enemy and perhaps escape their evil doings, they're not going to stop you know and eventually our heads will literally be on the platter.
    This has nothing to do with Orthodoxy. You have convinced yourself of some kind of wide-scale, mass war against Christians from every side. You are a Norwegian Christian. You have not been persecuted, actively and decisively persecuted by a force greater than your own, for being a Christian. Your beliefs have never been challenged. Though you may be of the option that your country and your people have 'betrayed' you and are being sheeped into some sort of mass anti-Christian conspiracy, that is all it is— an opinion. Do not preach to me that 'our heads will literally be on the platter.' They have been, because of hypocritical Christians with inflated egos. In the 1800s, Western-sponsored sectarianism sowed the seeds of modern sect division that has plagued us since. As these corrupt individuals destabilized and toppled secular or progressive governments throughout the Middle East, Africa and South Asia, we have been the ones to suffer.

When the Western puppet state with created in the Southern Levant, Muslims and Christian who had previously lived alongside each other were thrown out of their homes and radicalized. The earliest leaders of the movement for Palestinian self-determination were Christian. In 1900, Jerusalem in Ottoman Palestine was 25% Christian. Today, it is barely even 2%. Arab Ba'athism was a secular movement that helped promote rights for Christian minorities. My own people were systematically starved to death by the Ottomans for our faith. We have been enslaved, defiled, driven out and massacred for our entire existence. I see this often used by Christians in the West as an example of 'Christian persecution,' of what you fear the most. But what these people fail to realize is that it is their negligence, the way they have turned their backs to us and put their hands over their ears, that has allowed this to happen. I would rather associate with a Muslim or Jew who understands our plight and suffers similarly than I would a Christian who calls himself my brother but treats me like a stranger.

I am tired of this fake persecution complex. As we continue to die out, no one raises their voice, no one says a thing, but everyone will point fingers. The truth is that it is all about money, no Godliness involved. There is no war being waged on you, you are the one waging the war.
    23andMe: 100% Levantine
    AncestryDNA: 100% Levant (North Lebanon & Mount Lebanon)
    ܫܘܒܚܐ ܠܡܪܢ ܝܫܘܥ ܡܫܝܚܐ ♰
    My mtFull

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    Yes, it's true. There is a myth circulating in this forum that in Orthodox countries there is greater adherence or importance attached to religion. This is false, and only corresponds to a few countries such as Greece or Romania. Poland or Croatia are on the same level, if not more.
    Agree, it's completely untrue internet meme that's quite bizzare. As you said with possible exception of Greece and Romania rest of orthodox world isn't very devoted whatsoever. In orthodox countries it's more about nationalism than faith since they have own national churches.

Also here in Croatia we have a stereotype orthodox nations have looser morals because their clergy had less time to influence believers since they had own families to take care of first.

In Bosnia for example Catholics are known to be most devoted, more so than orthodox and muslims. On my island which traditions I posted above Church and faith influenced everything to such a degree I doubt existed anywhere in orthodox world except in some small sects like Russian old belivers. If you asked my grand-grandparents what they were, they would just say they are Catholics and that they don't speak Italian. In Dalmatian islands Croatian national identity wasn't developed until fairly recently and main identity of people was being practising Catholic Christian and Slavic speakers.

Nice traditions from Spain you posted btw, really looks cool

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Overall I would say in Europe main division is between more traditional south and godless north. Countries that are part of Mediterranean cultural sphere tend to be more religious and traditional.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information