Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,867
    Given: 4,236

4 Not allowed!

Hill of Tarañosdios located in Asturia,s where the thunder sound particularly strong due to reverberation. Tarañosdios means "god Taranos" in Spanish, Taranos was the Celtic thunder god. Asturias was lately Christianized, just some decades before the Arab invasion, and has keep many legends and features of their old Pagan gods.

Yo para ser feliz quiero un menhir. B01AB20's Avatar
    Last Online
    10-03-2023 @ 04:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    megalítico
    Ethnicity
    iberian
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,586
    Given: 3,544

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Empecinado View Post
    Hill of Tarañosdios located in Asturia,s where the thunder sound particularly strong due to reverberation. Tarañosdios means "god Taranos" in Spanish, Taranos was the Celtic thunder god. Asturias was lately Christianized, just some decades before the Arab invasion, and has keep many legends and features of their old Pagan gods.
    and christianized by the visigothic kingdom, ironies of life.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,568
    Given: 29,023

3 Not allowed!

Rapa das bestas is the name of an operation that involves cutting the manes of the wild Galician horses and tag them nowadays with a microchip that are performed in the curros (enclosed which retain the horses) held in various locations in Galicia, part of the kingdom of Asturias. Both the Galician horse breed and this tradition was brought by Celts and still continues existing nowadays.

Those horses look terrified. I wonder if there would be a way to tag the animals without scaring the bejasus out of them?

Todos contra nos Y nos contra todos Empecinado's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-15-2022 @ 10:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Those horses look terrified. I wonder if there would be a way to tag the animals without scaring the bejasus out of them?
    It is a very old tradition, so it is very difficult to change ...

To participate there is need to pay an entry, and the money raised is used to pay for treatments for people who can not afford it.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Irish travellers treat horses worse than that. But yeah, the Spanish have a reputation for animal cruelty over here for some reason. I had a friend who kept an Andalucian horse before and they banged on about how in Spain they keep them in a stable for their whole life. I didn't doubt it, the horse was scared of everything for a good year when it went outside, eventually it befriended a goat of all things and was fine then.

Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,747
    Given: 3,217

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    But yeah, the Spanish have a reputation for animal cruelty over here for some reason.
    People with glass roofs shouldn't throw stones...

http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-c...hts-in-uk.html

Horse racing, an industry of animal abuse:

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/horse/

Todos contra nos Y nos contra todos Empecinado's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-15-2022 @ 10:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    Irish travellers treat horses worse than that. But yeah, the Spanish have a reputation for animal cruelty over here for some reason. I had a friend who kept an Andalucian horse before and they banged on about how in Spain they keep them in a stable for their whole life. I didn't doubt it, the horse was scared of everything for a good year when it went outside, eventually it befriended a goat of all things and was fine then.
    Besides bullfighting (which is disliked by most of Spaniards) and killing of hunting dogs when the hunting season is over (done by rich posh urbanite hunters) I don't think there is a mentality prone to animal cruelty, our forests and mountains are filled up by dangerous animals whereas in most of European countries it would be not tolerated because they would be seen as a threat to people and they would kill them to prevent any risk, as happened with a wolf and a bear that entered in Germany (the first ones which did in the last 200 years), both were shot by government order due that reasons.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Delarge View Post
    People with glass roofs shouldn't throw stones...
    Animal cruelty occurs in every country, that first page just said incidents have gone up, but it could just be better reporting of such crimes. Horse racing is basically pan-European, UK is just good at it but so is America. Most of the breeders and riders are from Ireland though, most of the owners from England and most of the breeds from here. It's very dominated by Irish travellers and descendants of such now that have worked their way up via the sport.

Read my post again:

But yeah, the Spanish have a reputation for animal cruelty over here for some reason.
    Never said it was my opinion.

Besides bullfighting
    And that's probably the reason.

(which is disliked by most of Spaniards) and killing of hunting dogs when the hunting season is over (done by rich posh urbanite hunters) I don't think there is a mentality prone to animal cruelty, our forests and mountains are filled up by dangerous animals whereas in most of European countries it would be not tolerated because they would be seen as a threat to people and they would kill them to prevent any risk, as happened with a wolf and a bear that entered in Germany (the first ones which did in the last 200 years), both were shot by government order due that reasons.
    It's good that Spain still has such animals, but I can't help thinking it's largely a mixture of luck and isolation that preserved them. Farmers will always shoot a predator if they can get away with it. Spain probably preserves such animals because it has large tracts of wilderness and wasn't quite as efficient at hunting down wolves as Germany.

We don't have wolves now either, the last ones were shot 300 years ago. Some people say reintroduce them, but obviously there's near universal opposition to that from farmers. Besides, there's no habitat for them in most of England. In the uplands there are just sheep for them to prey on, in the south there are loads of deer, but livestock are a much easier target. Eventually some idiot would provoke an attack and get injured by one and it'd be in the papers and city idiots would get scared, so it'd probably be best to confine them to certain areas like an island or an upland district and put trackers on them. Not truly wild though.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,568
    Given: 29,023

0 Not allowed!

I'm not picking on any particular country I'm just saying that if things could be done in a way to not cause undue distress for the animal that would be progress. They cull kangaroos here and there is always a lot of controversy about it. Even countries that have strict legislation on how animals are treated still have incidents of animal cruelty. Even if practices are very old it doesn't excuse animals being treated roughly. I know that in Ireland they still have fox hunting and I'm very much against that.

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,482
    Given: 6,982

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropologique View Post
    Gallaic Iberian (NW Celtic) was spoken in Galicia and parts of Portugal by some individuals right into the Middle Ages.
    Didn't know, do you have any source about?
    Don't tell us you're tempted to take the idiot's ramblings at face value!

Why not believing he's French and Breton while we're at it?

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information