Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Arab with some Jewish ancestry? Anyone got any ideas?

Last Online
    03-28-2024 @ 04:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    United States
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 37

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by whoibe View Post
    so I just converted my ancestrydna file to a 23andme format and then used this tool to predict my mtdna: https://dna.jameslick.com

Result: H2a2a1

I looked through my gedmatch results to see who else had it and it was one of my sephardic matches with the chromosome segment I share with other sephardic matches
    Don't do that. It's incorrect.
    If you want mtDNA, then you have to test for mtdna snps. Only 23andme and livingdna do that. You cannot take ftdna raw data and convert it to 23andMe and expect it to work.....

I did the same as you and got the same mtDNA as you did. I know it's incorrect because my mtDNA is U8B

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last Online
    10-08-2021 @ 10:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Arab
    Country
    Israel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 51

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Levant15 View Post
    Don't do that. It's incorrect.
    If you want mtDNA, then you have to test for mtdna snps. Only 23andme and livingdna do that. You cannot take ftdna raw data and convert it to 23andMe and expect it to work.....

I did the same as you and got the same mtDNA as you did. I know it's incorrect because my mtDNA is U8B

haha that's crazy, is that like their default go-to haplogroup when a file is converted?
    Did yours also say "Good match" and that you had extra markers for the haplogroup?
    Which test did you take for your mtdna? What about Wegene.com, was that closer to your real mtdna?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    United States
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

haha that's crazy, is that like their default go-to haplogroup when a file is converted?
    Did yours also say "Good match" and that you had extra markers for the haplogroup?
    Which test did you take for your mtdna? What about Wegene.com, was that closer to your real mtdna?
    Yes, It did say good match with extra snps.

I transfered my 23andme data to wegene and it was accurate. Then I transfered my Ancestry dna data and it was accurate. It's weird because ancestry doesn't test for. mtDNA snps.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Arab
    Country
    Israel
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yes, It did say good match with extra snps.

I transfered my 23andme data to wegene and it was accurate. Then I transfered my Ancestry dna data and it was accurate. It's weird because ancestry doesn't test for. mtDNA snps.

Wegene.com says I'm mtdna T (ancestrydna upload). So I guess I can trust that? Do you think a full sequence test would give me a more specific subclade?

Also, what happens if you upload your 23andme data to dna.jameslick.com?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    United States
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Wegene.com says I'm mtdna T (ancestrydna upload). So I guess I can trust that? Do you think a full sequence test would give me a more specific subclade?
    Yes. You can get a deeper subclade by getting livingdna on sale now for $60 or ftdna full mtdna sequence for $150 right now. The ftdna full sequence is nice since it gives actual matches based on mtdna.
    I did the same for my dads and he got J2b1 with matches in Palestine , Italy and Switzerland.

Last Online
    10-09-2023 @ 06:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi
    Ancestry
    Poland, Belarus, Latvia, Ukraine
    Country
    Israel
    Y-DNA
    Q-Y2780 (Q-M378)
    mtDNA
    H5
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Pontid
    Politics
    depends
    Hero
    Yitzhak Rabin
    Religion
    depends
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,415
    Given: 688

1 Not allowed!

Can't help you with the DNA bits as I'm not anymore knowledgeable than you in that regard but there were definitely decent chunks of Sephardic Jews who immigrated to Israel circa 15th century some of whom presumably converted at some point later on.

Also welcome to the forum. I don't believe we've had any Arab Israelis on here before.
    חזרנו אל בורות המים לשוק ולכיכר"
    "שופר קורא בהר הבית בעיר העתיקה

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Arab
    Country
    Israel
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yes. You can get a deeper subclade by getting livingdna on sale now for $60 or ftdna full mtdna sequence for $150 right now. The ftdna full sequence is nice since it gives actual matches based on mtdna.
    I did the same for my dads and he got J2b1 with matches in Palestine , Italy and Switzerland.

What happens when you upload your 23andme file to dna.jameslick.com? Does it also give you a bs result?

Also this may sound dumb but what is an mtDNA match? Is it someone who was already one of your matches on Family Finder but did the mtdna test and has the same haplogroup? Can you get an mtdna match that's not already a 'regular' match?

Quote Originally Posted by ModernMaskil View Post
    Can't help you with the DNA bits as I'm not anymore knowledgeable than you in that regard but there were definitely decent chunks of Sephardic Jews who immigrated to Israel circa 15th century some of whom presumably converted at some point later on.

Also welcome to the forum. I don't believe we've had any Arab Israelis on here before.
    I don't think I'll be solving this puzzle anytime soon. I'm matching Sephardic Israelis with a triangulated segment that score 100% Sephardic but I have zero leads as to how we're related because I don't share any Arab matches with them. My grandmother says she doesn't know what her grandmother's family was, so if I can't go back 4 generations I doubt I'll be finding out what happened in the 15th century an mtDNA test seems interesting though.

Oh and thanks

Last Online
    10-09-2023 @ 06:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi
    Ancestry
    Poland, Belarus, Latvia, Ukraine
    Country
    Israel
    Y-DNA
    Q-Y2780 (Q-M378)
    mtDNA
    H5
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Pontid
    Politics
    depends
    Hero
    Yitzhak Rabin
    Religion
    depends
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,415
    Given: 688

0 Not allowed!

What happens when you upload your 23andme file to dna.jameslick.com? Does it also give you a bs result?

Also this may sound dumb but what is an mtDNA match? Is it someone who was already one of your matches on Family Finder but did the mtdna test and has the same haplogroup? Can you get an mtdna match that's not already a 'regular' match?

I don't think I'll be solving this puzzle anytime soon. I'm matching Sephardic Israelis with a triangulated segment that score 100% Sephardic but I have zero leads as to how we're related because I don't share any Arab matches with them. My grandmother says she doesn't know what her grandmother's family was, so if I can't go back 4 generations I doubt I'll be finding out what happened in the 15th century an mtDNA test seems interesting though.

Oh and thanks
    An mtDNA test would probably not tell you much, the Sephardic ancestor would have to have been your direct ancestor (that is, your maternal great x6 or xyz grandmother). The likely hood of it not being a man who married in or even on the other side of your family is pretty small unless you have some reason to believe otherwise. Still, if it is that ancestor then it would probably give you a very clear indication as by and large the majority of Sephardim have an Iberian or otherwise European maternal haplogroup.

Regardless, we all share quite a plethora of ancestors if we go back an extra 1500 years or so.
    חזרנו אל בורות המים לשוק ולכיכר"
    "שופר קורא בהר הבית בעיר העתיקה

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    United States
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

When you upload 23andme kit, jameslick tool gives you accurate results to some degree that's because 23andme includes over 4,000 mtdna snps in their tests but ancestrydna doesn't.
    See this link for more details.
    https://www.eupedia.com/genetics/whi...o_choose.shtml

FTDNA full mtdna sequence tests include genealogy based on mtdna from my understanding. Not autosomal.
    I think this means you shared the same mother in the past 500 years
    My Italy matches are not matching with me autosomally but still showed up as mtdna matches.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Arab
    Country
    Israel
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ModernMaskil View Post
    An mtDNA test would probably not tell you much, the Sephardic ancestor would have to have been your direct ancestor (that is, your maternal great x6 or xyz grandmother). The likely hood of it not being a man who married in or even on the other side of your family is pretty small unless you have some reason to believe otherwise. Still, if it is that ancestor then it would probably give you a very clear indication as by and large the majority of Sephardim have an Iberian or otherwise European maternal haplogroup.

Regardless, we all share quite a plethora of ancestors if we go back an extra 1500 years or so.
    I think knowing my mtDNA would be interesting regardless (since my family knows so little about it anyways). I don't know if the common ancestor is on my maternal line, if it happens to be so then I guess cool, mystery solved, but I'm not expecting anything really. If I ever get any leads it would be by sheer luck.

Why do you think a man marrying in is more likely? I don't know how it was X centuries ago but a Muslim man marrying a Jewish woman is definitely more common nowadays than the other way around because the latter case usually has more... consequences

Btw, assuming Wegene is at least corrrect about the first letter of my mtdna, does Haplogroup T even have any Iberian or European subclades?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information