There are very few alleles that are specific to some population meaning that they are found in a certain population at significant levels but pretty much abseent in other populations.

One example is rs2230500 which according to SNPedia is associated with 40% higher incidence of stroke but as we know it is unlikely only 1 gene is associated with a certain condition. Usually its multiple genes many of which are undetermined. That's why I don't take seriously just one gene. I also think diet and lifestyle are also factors.

Anyways the reason this allele caught my eye is because the derived allele "A" is pretty much an indicator of E. Asian ancestry because according to dbSNP other populations have about 0% occurence. Of course there are other such alleles too like the infamous EDAR shovel nose incisor allele.

I found it interesting that 2 Iraqi Kurdish relatives had one copy of this E. Asian allele.Their genotype was GA.

Post yours and indicate what ethnic group you belong to since many avatars here are wrong.

[IMG][/IMG]