I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,955
    Given: 11,022

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BrudnyZydMalpa View Post
    So why does West Poland show the same genetics since the iron age!?

http://polishgenes.blogspot.com/2012...f-genetic.html

First direct evidence of genetic continuity in West and Central Poland from the Iron Age to the present

I've just been sent a fascinating paper on the mtDNA of Iron Age and Medieval samples from Poland. It's a thesis by a PhD student from Poznan, Anna Juras, which suggests direct genetic continuity between Iron Age samples belonging to the Przeworsk and Wielbark Cultures of what is now West and Central Poland and modern Poles. Here's the English summary of the thesis, and a map of the sites under study:

For many years the origin of the Slavs has been the subject-matter in archaeology, anthropology, history, linguistics and recently also modern human population genetics. By now there is no unambiguous answer to a question where, when and in what way the Slavs originated. For the purposes of this dissertation, the analysis of ancient human mitochondrial DNA was applied. The ancient DNA was isolated from 72 specimens which came from Iron-Age and medieval graveyards from the area of current Poland. Ancient mtDNA was extracted from two teeth from each individual and reproducible sequence results were obtained for 20 medieval and 23 Iron-Age specimens. On the basis of HVR I mtDNA mutation motifs and coding region SNPs each specimen was assigned to a mitochondrial haplogroup. The obtained results were used together with other ancient and modern populations to analyse shared haplotypes and population genetic distances illustrated by multidimentional scaling plots (MDS). The differences on genetic level and quite high genetic distances (FST) between medieval and Iron-Age populations as well as significant number of shared informative haplotypes with Belarus, Ukraine and Bulgaria may evidence genetic discontinuity between medieval and Iron Ages. From the other side, the highest number of shared informative haplotypes between Iron-Age and extant Polish population as well as the presence of subhaplogroup N1a1a2, can confirm that some genetic lines show continuity at least from Iron Age or even Neolithic in the areas of present day Poland. The results obtained in this work are considered to be the first ancient contribution in genetic history of the Slavs.
    Yes that make senses. Already Balto-Slavic like peoples that recieved an influx of more eastern Slavic-like peoples in the early medieval period. I mean if they were Slavicised by people who were genetically fairly similar to them, it would be impossible to solve conclusively without ancient DNA. And of course this very much brings some light onto the subject.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-17-2017 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    29/32 English, 2/32 Welsh, 1/32 Scottish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,955
    Given: 11,022

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    To non-Poles (mostly Germans) -

Regarding Poland's situation overall, I'm quite positive about it. It might not be another Germany any time soon, but it has a lot going for it. The population is well educated, the economy is developing well out of fragile beginnings and we're even seeing Poland acting as a regional power in mediating in the Ukraine crisis. I think perceptions in the west about it will have to change pretty fast, in a decade or two it'll be on a par with Spain or Italy, Poland isn't some little country that can be ignored, its resuming its historical role in Central Europe.
    I think we should be supportive of other European countries, we should want the whole of Europe to thrive, not just the western states. I don't think Slavs Vs Germanics or any of this meta-ethnicity crap should come into that.
    I agree. The ideal situation is one of cooperation and goodwill without the merging and destruction of individual cultures to an excessive degree.

Last Online
    04-15-2024 @ 05:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    Kazakh
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    non-religious
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 831
    Given: 2,679

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Geminus View Post
    Well, the article states that East Germans have some Slavic admixture. Not quite what is said in the title. As this thread is mainly for trolling purposes, though, it's OK
    But anyway, if you compare Germany for example to Poland it's not hard to see why people would would prefer to be Germans rather than Poles

Eastern germans definitely look kinda russkies and polskies.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    01-22-2017 @ 09:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 87

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor_22 View Post
    Eastern germans definitely look kinda russkies and polskies.
    There are some similarities but they still look distinctive to Poles and Russians.
    Anyway: Why do you need to portray North-West-Germans as Dutch and Eastern-Germans to be Polish or Russian?
    Germany is a large nation that expanded and absorbed other elements.
    But it is is a coherent entity where people identify as Germans, share the same cultural values and speak the same language. That's what nation states are.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 07:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 13

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Goobyski View Post
    Did you see Mordid's post from above? Grenzland, Graus and other German members can't accept the fact that East Germans are Germanicised Slavs.

Its no surprised, since most land of East Germany and coastal lands of Germany were settled by Slavic tribes. One such group was called Polab Slavs made up of these tribes; Chyżanie, Czrezpienianie, Tolężanie and Redarowie and smaller groups like Wkrzanie, Morzycy and Rzeczanie. The second large group was called Serbsko-Łużycka group who were made up by such tribes as; Łużyczanie, Miliczanie, Selpoli, Bieżuńczanie, Serbowie, Żytycy, Koledzicy, Żyrmuntowie, Susłowie and Dalemińcy.
    Come on, are you really that stupid? East Germans are Germans and no Poles or Slavs. Of course Germans and Poles share similarities due to the neighborhood, but that doesn't make them Poles. Apart from that, what is Polish? Most probably is that Poles are just the missing East Germanic tribes who have been settled in Eastern Europe once. The Polish language is strikingly similar to the Gothic language!

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chichic View Post
    The Polish language is strikingly similar to the Gothic language!
    How?

Last Online
    12-18-2022 @ 11:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanophile
    Ethnicity
    Nordophile
    Ancestry
    Austrian Empire and the Ottoman Empire
    Country
    Slovenia
    Region
    Tirol
    Taxonomy
    Gracilized,Reduced Neotenic Eastern Mediterranid+Alpine-CM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,526
    Given: 257

3 Not allowed!

That region was probably always transitional between north-western europe and north-eastern Europe regardless of the language they speak.

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,279
    Given: 39,691

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    How?
    Ignore him. Nearly everything he says is empirically and demonstrably incorrect.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread Information