Kyrgyzstan
    Region
    Finnmark
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,938
    Given: 2,460

2 Not allowed!

Default My adventures in the ghetto

This morning I was driving in the ghetto (had something to do over there)... and it was an interesting experience. I do not often visit the ghetto so it was a bit of a culture shock.

- Upon leaving Family Dollar, I held the door for a black lady, and she said "Thank you. Hey sweetie". This was weird, because why add the hey sweetie? Was she a prostitute?

- The driver of a convertible car in the lane next to me snorted crack at a red light in plain sight.

- I wondered how the Asian markets stay in business. Are there that many Koreans that live in my small town? Or is there other "business" happening there?

- Why are there sooooooo many churches in the ghetto? One on every corner! It certainly does not seem to help with the crime rate....

What are the ghettos in your town like?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Inselaffe
    Country
    New Zealand
    Y-DNA
    R-U106
    mtDNA
    HV18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,738
    Given: 10,445

0 Not allowed!

Living dangerously there eh hun.
    Nine out of ten concerns are completely unfounded.

Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Hong-Kong
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 153

1 Not allowed!

We don't have ghettos anymore, not since 1943. Just kidding, there are neighborhoods in Rīga that used to be economic ghettos from the 90s to 2010ish, but things are much better now, since all the Homo Sovieticus people moved to England or Ireland. In British news they're still referred to as "Latvians" though.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-29-2018 @ 06:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Kyrgyzstan
    Region
    Finnmark
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by maverik View Post
    Noticed this also. How bad is Daytona Beach? I used to have relatives there, many years ago but they've moved to Ocala.

Apparently it's considered one of the most dangerous cities in Florida, which means a lot of Blacks but that doesn't make sense because biker rallies are held there every year, and they're 100% White.
    Never been to Daytona Beach. I didn't know it was that bad.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-07-2022 @ 06:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German English
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti corruption
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,540
    Given: 9,189

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Larali View Post
    This morning I was driving in the ghetto (had something to do over there)... and it was an interesting experience. I do not often visit the ghetto so it was a bit of a culture shock.

- Upon leaving Family Dollar, I held the door for a black lady, and she said "Thank you. Hey sweetie". This was weird, because why add the hey sweetie? Was she a prostitute?

- The driver of a convertible car in the lane next to me snorted crack at a red light in plain sight.

- I wondered how the Asian markets stay in business. Are there that many Koreans that live in my small town? Or is there other "business" happening there?

- Why are there sooooooo many churches in the ghetto? One on every corner! It certainly does not seem to help with the crime rate....

What are the ghettos in your town like?
    I like Family Dollar and Dollar Tree. I live in the inner city, although much of it is gentrified. My hood is probably 45% white 45% black and 10% E. and S. Asian, and next to a large university with a huge medical complex. Generally the ghetto is/was considered the denser part of a city, so more people per square mile = more churches also.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Kyrgyzstan
    Region
    Finnmark
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KMack View Post
    I like Family Dollar and Dollar Tree. I live in the inner city, although much of it is gentrified. My hood is probably 45% white 45% black and 10% E. and S. Asian, and next to a large university with a huge medical complex. Generally the ghetto is/was considered the denser part of a city, so more people per square mile = more churches also.
    That makes sense about the density. Gentrification annoys me a little for some reason... I feel like it's a waste of time and money. Poor areas exist as one end of the economic bell curve, and sticking a Fresh Market right next to a Zionist Baptist church will not change that. (Unless, of course, the neighborhood residents are looking for a place to purchase their organic tofu, which I doubt.)

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German English
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti corruption
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Larali View Post
    That makes sense about the density. Gentrification annoys me a little for some reason... I feel like it's a waste of time and money. Poor areas exist as one end of the economic bell curve, and sticking a Fresh Market right next to a Zionist Baptist church will not change that. (Unless, of course, the neighborhood residents are looking for a place to purchase their organic tofu, which I doubt.)
    Gentrification has been going on for decades. Originally with outer city mid town locations then further into the inner city. Every city has different quirks though. It makes sense though because the older commercial and residential buildings are rock solid (although some get demolished for in fill). And you can't have Central Business Districts and major institutions surrounded by trash hoods. The further out city hoods and older suburban rings are the new quasi ghettos.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Kyrgyzstan
    Region
    Finnmark
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Gentrification has been going on for decades. Originally with outer city mid town locations then further into the inner city. Every city has different quirks though. It makes sense though because the older commercial and residential buildings are rock solid (although some get demolished for in fill). And you can't have Central Business Districts and major institutions surrounded by trash hoods. The further out city hoods and older suburban rings are the new quasi ghettos.
    Yeah I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes the hood has to be pushed out to make more space for economic prosperity. Same thing is happening here. But there are hipsters that try to move into old established neighborhoods, where low-income residents have been happily doing their thing for decades, and try to force it into something it's not. There's also a need for lower income residential areas close to town so that those workers won't have to travel far for work.

There's a resort town nearby that's super nice, super high-income and close to the water, but food service employees and various other hospitality employees must travel an hour to get to work, because they can't afford to live there.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eagle
    Ethnicity
    Straight
    Country
    Taiwan
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,808
    Given: 7,516

0 Not allowed!

That's pretty black. I checked my hood's stats and surprised at the hispanics, don't see that many around

Racial Diversity

White
    48%
    Hispanic
    27%
    Asian
    17%
    African American
    5%
    Two or more races
    2%
    Other race
    1%

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German English
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti corruption
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulu View Post
    That's pretty black. I checked my hood's stats and surprised at the hispanics, don't see that many around

Racial Diversity

White
    48%
    Hispanic
    27%
    Asian
    17%
    African American
    5%
    Two or more races
    2%
    Other race
    1%
    I just checked and the black population in this hood down 17% over the last 10 years and an increase of Asians so they are now 13.8%.
    Whites are 54%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information