View Poll Results: Does he look like a Persian or a Kurd?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Persians

3 50.00%
  • Kurds

3 50.00%
  • Other

2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please classify this Parthian warrior from 247 BC - 224 AD

Banned
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    (i∂-m)Ψ=0
    Country
    Vietnam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 522
    Given: 315

0 Not allowed!

It has been said that Kurds may have got their name from the ancient Iranic people called Guti or Gutians. Iranic Gutians lived already around 2500 BC in Kurdic Zagros Mountains. Nobody knows where the word 'Kurd' is from, but some say it is also related to the ancient Roman dependency of Corduene, that is actually the heartland of Kurdistan. Maybe it is even from the Kassites who called themselves 'Kardu'.

I don't think Kurds have much to do with Khwarazm. But, maybe you are right that Kurds are a fusion of some different but similar to each other nomadic western Iranic tribes. But only if other west Iranic tribes switched over to a Kurdish language. Because we have an issue here what we call a language. There are many, many Kurdish dialects. But those Kurdic dialects have 1 single source/origin of proto-Kurdic. So our northwest Iranic language is only from 1 source, proto-Kurdic.

So Kurdish dialects are form 1 the same source of NorthWest Iranian and NorthWest Iranian has always been spoke only in Zagros Mountains. Kurdic is like Parthian and the language of the Medes as Northwest Iranic language. And the direct source of this language are the Medes.

Before nation-states Europe was also divided by different tribes etc. Only after the peace of Westphalia in 1648 Europe was divided by ethnic lines. In Germany lived also many different Germanic tribes that were united. The unification of Italy took also place very recently under Garibaldi. But nevertheless Italians speak Italian and similar to their direct ancestors the Romans. Most European nations are a product of unification of similar tribes.

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,071
    Given: 39,632

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MS85 View Post
    It has been said that Kurds may have got their name from the ancient Iranic people called Guti or Gutians. Iranic Gutians lived already around 2500 BC in Kurdic Zagros Mountains. Nobody knows where the word 'Kurd' is from, but some say it is also related to the ancient Roman dependency of Corduene, that is actually the heartland of Kurdistan. Maybe it is even from the Kassites who called themselves 'Kardu'.

I don't think Kurds have much to do with Khwarazm. But, maybe you are right that Kurds are a fusion of some different but similar to each other nomadic western Iranic tribes. But only if other west Iranic tribes switched over to a Kurdish language. Because we have an issue here what we call a language. There are many, many Kurdish dialects. But those Kurdic dialects have 1 single source/origin of proto-Kurdic. So our northwest Iranic language is only from 1 source, proto-Kurdic.

So Kurdish dialects are form 1 the same source of NorthWest Iranian and NorthWest Iranian has always been spoke only in Zagros Mountains. Kurdic is like Parthian and the language of the Medes as Northwest Iranic language. And the direct source of this language are the Medes.

Before nation-states Europe was also divided by different tribes etc. Only after the peace of Westphalia in 1648 Europe was divided by ethnic lines. In Germany lived also many different Germanic tribes that were united. The unification of Italy took also place very recently under Garibaldi. But nevertheless Italians speak Italian and similar to their direct ancestors the Romans. Most European nations are a product of unification of similar tribes.
    Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.

Even if this were hard--that is how it is ! Assuredly, however, by far the harder fate is that which strikes the man who thinks he can overcome Nature, but in the last analysis only mocks her. Distress, misfortune, and diseases are her answer.

Kekgenes K13

1 Swahili+ Jew + Kekistani + Trailerparkistan @ 6.9420

M.T.A
    Celt + Frank (4.869)
    Viking Icelandic + Frank (5.463)
    Viking Icelandic + Celt (5.545)
    Celt + Saxon (5.789)
    Viking Danish + Celt (6.283)
    Celt (6.539)
    Frank (10.13)
    Viking Icelandic (10.34)
    Viking Danish (10.4)
    Saxon (10.79)

kit 2
    Celt + Belgae (4.016)
    Viking Danish + Belgae (5.555)
    Belgae + Frank (5.797)
    Celt + Frank (6.031)
    Celt (6.297)
    Viking Danish + Celt (6.441)
    Belgae (8.662)
    Viking Danish (8.925)
    Frank (9.409)
    Saxon (10.83)

Last Online
    03-26-2020 @ 09:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Kurdish
    Ancestry
    Chalcolithic Iran, Medes, Parthians, Persians
    Country
    Iran
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    L3d1-5
    Taxonomy
    West Asian / Med
    Hero
    Böri the Tocharian ginger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,165
    Given: 10,233

3 Not allowed!

Ethnic Parthian (so called Parni tribes) were definitely not similar to Kurds or Persians, they were nomadic Scythians before they migrated to Iran and established the Parthian empire

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-19-2024 @ 06:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Burkina-Faso
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 749

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pahli View Post
    Ethnic Parthian (so called Parni tribes) were definitely not similar to Kurds or Persians, they were nomadic Scythians before they migrated to Iran and established the Parthian empire
    Agreed. Parthians were NE Iranians.

We also need to be careful when we use the term Persians and Kurds both have evolved over the years.

For example, Kurds for a while designated for all the nomads of North West Iran.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    (i∂-m)Ψ=0
    Country
    Vietnam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Oh yeah, but I'm geographically only related to the Medes and Parthians. Kurdish homeland or Kurdistan is located on the same place as Western Media or Western Parthia. Kurds already lived in Kurdistan before Khwarazm. Saladin was born before than and his father and his granddadies all came from Northern Kurdistan. They had nothing to do with Khwarazm.

Not only geographically are connected to the Medes and Parthians, but also linguistically and culturally. Also a native Kurdic religion is similar to the ancient Medes. And as a top above all that, we have got today their DNA. Ancient DNA samples from ancient Media and later Parthia are identical to the DNA of modern Kurds. To summarizing what connects Kurds to the Medes (and Parthians):

a) Location/geography -> Northern Mesopotamia/Zagros Mountains
    b) Language -> Northwest Iranic
    c) Culture (Iranic) -> Dances, folklore (stories, legends), tradition/way of life
    d) Religion - Mitraism/Yezidism
    e) DNA

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    (i∂-m)Ψ=0
    Country
    Vietnam
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Parthians were Northwest Iranic people and spoke a Northwest Iranic dialect/language evolved from the Median language.

Parthian was a Western Middle Iranian language. Language contact made it share some features of the Eastern Iranian language group, the influence of which is attested primarily in loanwords. Some traces of Eastern influence survive in Parthian loanwords in Armenian.
    Taxonomically, Parthian, an Indo-European language, belongs to the Northwestern Iranian language group while Middle Persian belongs to the Southwestern Iranian language group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthian_language

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    (i∂-m)Ψ=0
    Country
    Vietnam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I showed that Aryan Parthian warrior to all my relatives I have direct contact with (my wife, my brother and my father) and according to them that Parthian warrior looks very Kurdish and has nothing to do with the Persians.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-23-2021 @ 06:41 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EM78GREENSAVANNAH's best friend
    Ethnicity
    Bessarabian Jew
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    g2a1
    mtDNA
    h1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,158
    Given: 4,510

0 Not allowed!

I like the theory that Kurds are remnants of Sassanid, Achamenid etc. garrsions.... That's why Kurds and Iranians are almost identical genetically.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    (i∂-m)Ψ=0
    Country
    Vietnam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by War Chief View Post
    I like the theory that Kurds are remnants of Sassanid, Achamenid etc. garrsions.... That's why Kurds and Iranians are almost identical genetically.
    Kurds are identical to modern Persians, because ancestors of the Kurds (Medes/Parthians) and Persians (ancient Persians) were almost identical.

According to the ancient Greeks both the Medes and Persians were Aryan people and closely related to each other.

The Kurds can't be from the Persians, because Persians speak a SOUTH Western Iranic dialect, while Kurds speak a NORTH Western Iranic dialect.

proto-Persian was SouthWestern Iranic
    proto-Kurdic (Median/Parthian) was NorthWestern Iranic

It is all about language and small details!

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    (i∂-m)Ψ=0
    Country
    Vietnam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Every time when I want to know the origin of somebody I do look at his/her native spoken language first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information