View Poll Results: Which is more culturally "Balkan"?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Croatia

17 65.38%
  • Transylvania

9 34.62%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Croatia or Transylvania: Which is more culturally "Balkan"?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,735
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by robertb View Post
    Maybe your one of those trying to be western instead of being Balkan. I never try to be anything but what I am, an east TN hillbilly, so who is the idiot. Serbs and Albanians proud of who they are and own it.
    And how do you know what Croats are? Do you know anything about Croatian culture and history? Obviously not.

Why wouldn't Serbs and Albanians be proud of being Balkan? They are Balkan.

But it is not his or mine problem that your lack of insight makes you think Croatia is culturally similar to Serbia and Albania.

Neither you own the term "western". Good amount of Slavs share western Christian culture with western parts of Europe.

It is our heritage and I have no idea how any of you dares to imply we should connect to culturally foreign heritage instead.

Get some education about Europe.

Last Online
    02-04-2024 @ 06:08 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ulster Scot/Welsh/German
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Tennessee
    Hero
    Andy Jackson
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 491
    Given: 240

1 Not allowed!

When I read day after day people telling me they are actually more like Germany or Hungary or some other country trying to distance themselves from where they really live I take them to their word. Words have meaning and I take they are telling me the truth with their words.

I understand most users here much younger than me and will change their opinions many times as they grow older.

Just an edit but maybe people are misunderstanding me. I know a lot of American and European history but admit less about the Balkan area but I have been reading up on it lately.

Users from that area actually my favorites and my point is I want young people to be proud of where they are from and proud of the sacrifices their ancestors made.
    Last edited by robertb; 03-12-2023 at 02:25 PM.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,735
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

When I read day after day people telling me they are actually more like Germany or Hungary or some other country trying to distance themselves from where they really live I take them to their word. Words have meaning and I take they are telling me the truth with their words.
    Quote anyone saying they are more like Germany. Or maybe you made that up like that Greek retard?

Hungary, really? Are you aware Croatia has longer border with Hungary than with Serbia and actually spent 900 years of history togheder with Hungary and not with Serbia, let alone Albania?

Are you mentally retarded?

Just an edit but maybe people are misunderstanding me. I know a lot of American and European history but admit less about the Balkan area but I have been reading up on it lately.

Users from that area actually my favorites and my point is I want young people to be proud of where they are from and proud of the sacrifices their ancestors made.
    Rather tell us about shared culture and history of Croatia and Albania or admit that you are wrong and have absolutely no clue. It's embarassing.

Slava Ukrainii
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-28-2023 @ 05:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,017
    Given: 505

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    ... Greek retard?...

...Are you mentally retarded?
    Like, you don't have to agree, but isn't it just more nice if insults could be avoided, please?

Last Online
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,533
    Given: 9,983

0 Not allowed!

Maybe your one of those trying to be western instead of being Balkan. I never try to be anything but what I am, an east TN hillbilly, so who is the idiot. Serbs and Albanians proud of who they are and own it.
    Not just West & East exist in Europe, but there are many different subregions, or there are differences inside countries too, determined by religion, history, culture. I doubt that an american knows every small region and its historical background like a local native.
    Even though Croatia is located in Balkans, they are closely connected to Central Europe as well, not just because of the catholic religion but 900 years history too. I would say Croatia, Transylvania are border regions with many different cultural aspect. In the case of Croatia, this country shows similarity to Balkans, Central Europe and the mediterranean South Europe too.

Ortho Alpha Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Roman Orthodox Christian
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Olive Farmers&Fishermen
    Country
    Great Britain
    Taxonomy
    Greek Alpha
    Politics
    Goy resistance movement
    Religion
    Albanian Zen
    Relationship Status
    Part time lover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,076
    Given: 14,288

0 Not allowed!

Croatia is Balkan, deal with it
    The Talmud tells us that the only language the Torah could be translated into elegantly is Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by catgeorge View Post
    Demons don't scare me.
    Quote Originally Posted by catgeorge View Post
    They should be scared of me.

Last Online
    06-16-2024 @ 09:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 34

0 Not allowed!

The answer on the question would be that Transylvania, and also the whole of Romania, is closer to the "Balkans" genetically and culturally, because of course it had a stronger Ottoman influence. (architecture, people, behavior, food, music, etc.). In general, Croatia and Romania are not very comparable, completely 2 different countries with completely different cultures, people, behavior, vibe. As a Croat who lived in Romania for some time, can prove it. The word "Balkan" can be interpreted in many ways. Usually in Croatia, people associate "Balkan" only with countries of the Western Balkans of the SLAVIC SPOKEN LANGUAGE (ex yu). Almost no one includes Albania, let alone Romania, or even Slavic-speaking Bulgaria. Croats usually use it in a negative sense, even some individuals are proud of "Balkan". Average Croats from Croatia (even from Bosnia and Herzegovina) feel NO connection to the non-Slavic speaking Balkan countries and Eastern Balkan countries (which are much more "Balkan" in any sense). They would feel very strange in the countries of the southern and eastern Balkans. Feeling them "exotic, strange". Most Croats, even when they go abroad (beside ex yu), socialize much more with Central Europeans, Western and Northern Europeans. Not because they decided to do it "consciously", but rather because they feel "closer" to them. Even paradoxically, many of them identify themselves as "Balkanities", probably it's just "cool" for them, seeing themselves as "different" in the eyes of other Europeans.
    Last edited by Vyctor; 03-12-2023 at 06:21 PM.

Slava Ukrainii
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-28-2023 @ 05:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,017
    Given: 505

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vyctor View Post
    The answer on the question would be that Transylvania, and also the whole of Romania, is closer to the "Balkans" genetically and culturally, because of course it had a stronger Ottoman influence. (architecture, people, behavior, food, music, etc.). In general, Croatia and Romania are not very comparable, completely 2 different countries with completely different cultures, people, behavior, vibe. As a Croat who lived in Romania for some time, can prove it. The word "Balkan" can be interpreted in many ways. Usually in Croatia, people associate "Balkan" only with countries of the Western Balkans of the SLAVIC SPOKEN LANGUAGE (ex yu). Almost no one includes Albania, let alone Romania, or even Slavic-speaking Bulgaria. Croats usually use it in a negative sense, even some individuals are proud of "Balkan". Average Croats from Croatia (even from Bosnia and Herzegovina) feel NO connection to the non-Slavic speaking Balkan countries and Eastern Balkan countries (which are much more "Balkan" in any sense). They would feel very strange in the countries of the southern and eastern Balkans. Feeling them "exotic, strange". Most Croats, even when they go abroad, socialize much more with Central Europeans, Western and Northern Europeans. Not because they decided to do it "consciously", but rather because they feel "closer" to them. Even paradoxically, many of them identify themselves as "Balkanities", probably it's just "cool" for them, seeing themselves as "different" in the eyes of other Europeans.
    You don't feel like Croatians are very collectively minded though? Maybe I'm too used to Swedish/Western way of looking at things but when I look at how much politics and the church is involved in everyone's life (voluntarily) I just get the feeling like it's too much and that it limits one's personal space. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Last Online
    06-16-2024 @ 09:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Country
    Croatia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 34

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Reptilian View Post
    You don't feel like Croatians are very collectively minded though? Maybe I'm too used to Swedish/Western way of looking at things but when I look at how much politics and the church is involved in everyone's life (voluntarily) I just get the feeling like it's too much and that it limits one's personal space. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
    Yes, you are right. People like to share some common beliefs without even questioning them

Last Online
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    half Persian, half Siamese
    Country
    Slovakia
    Taxonomy
    meow
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,557
    Given: 4,542

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vyctor View Post
    The answer on the question would be that Transylvania, and also the whole of Romania, is closer to the "Balkans" genetically and culturally, because of course it had a stronger Ottoman influence. (architecture, people, behavior, food, music, etc.). In general, Croatia and Romania are not very comparable, completely 2 different countries with completely different cultures, people, behavior, vibe. As a Croat who lived in Romania for some time, can prove it. The word "Balkan" can be interpreted in many ways. Usually in Croatia, people associate "Balkan" only with countries of the Western Balkans of the SLAVIC SPOKEN LANGUAGE (ex yu). Almost no one includes Albania, let alone Romania, or even Slavic-speaking Bulgaria. Croats usually use it in a negative sense, even some individuals are proud of "Balkan". Average Croats from Croatia (even from Bosnia and Herzegovina) feel NO connection to the non-Slavic speaking Balkan countries and Eastern Balkan countries (which are much more "Balkan" in any sense). They would feel very strange in the countries of the southern and eastern Balkans. Feeling them "exotic, strange". Most Croats, even when they go abroad, socialize much more with Central Europeans, Western and Northern Europeans. Not because they decided to do it "consciously", but rather because they feel "closer" to them. Even paradoxically, many of them identify themselves as "Balkanities", probably it's just "cool" for them, seeing themselves as "different" in the eyes of other Europeans.
    Really? I've had the opposite experience. From what I've seen, all Yugos tend to link up in diaspora.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information